Need to see distance to black hole

GoldAsteroidGoldAsteroid Member Posts: 68
I appreciate the "sound" effect when im near black hole but that doesnt matter much. I start hear first warning and I turn around in 0,5sec.. and insta boost - insta sucked in black hole. 100% death rate.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2017
    With all due respect, the very function of the audio cue is to warn the player of their distance to the black hole. It becomes more rapid the closer you are, and less rapid the further away. This in addition to the "Singularity Warning" message satisfies a pretty strong cue to the player. Otherwise, the visuals of a black hole also help inform the player of distance, including the shaking of the camera, the distortion of colors, and the darkening background (when really close).

A little indicator in the direction of the singularity seems like it's sensory overload regarding the black hole; In my opinion, I'm not convinced it is necessary. I'm curious what other players think about this suggestion.
  • troopitroopi Member Posts: 83
    You can't do sightseeing when the warning is ticking, but if you like, you can press escape and choose the option freeze cam. Then you can see it all around without danger.
    The only reason I have to argue against mister b.hole, is that an okkar corvette can slip by without being sucked. Unfair, unjust! :'(
  • GoldAsteroidGoldAsteroid Member Posts: 68
    I wish i could save cheat the game on a sector with a black hole to test it over and over again..

What would be best game recording software?
  • ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121
    I find it can be hard to know where the black hole is relative to us. Yeah, we have plenty of clues we are close to one, but not in what direction we should be going to get away from it. A few times i got caught while dogfighting and completly lost track where the darn hole was, making it very difficult to escape from it. Sometimes the background makes it difficult to spot the hole...
    That's all about the game, boys! No dogbitching around mister b.hole. Instead, go around, and lure the baddies inside. Except the corvette. :'( She doesn't care.
  • ChaoughkimyeroChaoughkimyero Common Alpha Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 11
    I prefer there being no warning; Black holes are supposed to be terrifying and a threat.

Providing a distance would be too easy.
    And they should be bigger. Scarier.
  • PacketlossPacketloss Member Posts: 22
    I think the distance to center of singularity would make sense, if only because a ship's sensors should map a black hole. I mean really, if my ship's nav sensors can map out a freighter wreck from across a sector then it should be able to map out a spacial anomaly.

Here's a thought for balance. Maybe it only gets mapped if you have a sensor drone out or have recently used a probe?
    Id prefer distance.. I remember last year in everspace i was actually at least 90% gathering dark matter or dark energy with 300meter sucker.

Now I die 95% before picking ANY dark matter with mk3 sucker!

But I already tested this latest patch too many times. So I will only play on full release. I will find best way to capture this stuff because it bothers me.
    @GoldAsteroid do you have all of your Engine Perks maxed?

@GoldAsteroid do you have all of your Engine Perks maxed?

Thats why Id prefer some "manual" and a distance instead of BEEPS.

So in manual devs could state that interceptor can get sucked in there 1km away. And the small ship can zoom in and out 400meters away from it and with upgraded engine to 300meters while the gunship cant escape it not upgraded from 1,5km away and with upgraded maybe 1km away

That stuff at least would make me happy to know the limits instead of raging a bit every single time i change my mind and give it another try and die before picking up anything.
    edited April 2017
    It sounds like you are having a real challenge with black holes. Don't get me wrong; the black hole should definitely be a challenge, for sure. But it seems like you're unsuccessful most of the time in comparison to other pilots. There are far easier ways to obtain dark matter and dark energy, so it might just be something you avoid until your Perks are higher.

Since the black hole is a run-ending hazard, I agree that knowing where it's at is key. But I don't think this information should be handed to the player as an indicator/marker/map feature. Allow me to explain.

Everspace is mysterious and random in what you come across. The Scanning Probe counteracts most of this (in a bad way, we can discuss later), but a few items are unaffected. One of these items is the black hole, and it feels good that it isn't "given away" to the player.

Black holes challenge the player because they are devoid of information (other than revealing you're too close), and I think this works well in the nature of a black hole: devoid of energy, light and heat. So, it makes sense the ship knows when it is being affected by an outside source and how strong it is, but unable to identify the location of it. Furthermore, if the HIVE were able to give specific black hole-affected info regarding what ship and Engine Perks were being used, I think it would be way too much information. So much so that it would negate the hazard entirely if the player had that info, which would beg the question of the black hole's existence in the game at all.

All this said, Everspace is more in-line with arcade action instead of space simulation, so I think there is a door open (albeit small) which is why I'm really thankful we're all here having this discussion.
  • PacketlossPacketloss Member Posts: 22
    Agreed. You kinda need to learn on your own through trial and error (ive died more to black holes and Boost mishaps than any other single thing in the game) what the 'safe' distance is for your ship in relation to the black hole. That said, thanks to one or two incidents with black holes in 'dark' zones, I still feel like we could use a bit more sensor info, for a price.

I really like the thought of a sensor DRONE (not a probe) letting you map the hole, if only by sacrificing itself.