Progression / Perk Reset?

Bl4ckSh33pBl4ckSh33p GermanyMember Posts: 25
Hi. Just wanted to ask if there will be a reset of your Progressen with future updates or when the game is finished. Or can we keep our progress even with the new perk system in 0.3 and beyond?

Comments

• Bl4ckSh33pBl4ckSh33p GermanyMember Posts: 25
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, but it would be nice to keep it for a local singleplayer game.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    Thanks for the find, @ROCKFISH_Andi ! I couldn't seem to find that post and you nailed it down perfectly.

I've edited my post to ensure there is no confusion.
  • NenacuNenacu Customer, Collector Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 69
    Just to toss my hat in here, I'm all for a wipe at official launch. Going through the plot of the game as powerful as I currently am would be unfulfilling I think. Then again, I have the capability to do that myself at any time, so it will happen regardless.
  • BarryBarry Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 36
    Yeah, nuke it on retail release. Let us fight....and die for everything all over again. Though maybe give us some extra starting credits for a thanks,
    Barry said:

Yeah, nuke it on retail release. Let us fight....and die for everything all over again. Though maybe give us some extra starting credits for a thanks,

Kickstarter Space Boosters (and higher tiers) earn bonus Credits to boost their ship from the beginning.
  • LeizarKradLeizarKrad Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering taking a break from now until the release.
    It won't be easy because I love the game.
    While I'm sure this choice would make perfect sense, I dislike the idea of losing all my progress.
    Also, I play it on GOG, so I don't really care about Steam achievements.
  • ES_3432ES_3432 Kickstarter Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 1
    I stumbled on this post recently, and it's been bugging me enough to come back and create an account to comment. I've really been enjoying this game, and I've put a lot of time into it, but if I had known ahead of time there might be a wipe, I wouldn't have played at all until the full release. It was annoying to lose perks, although I understand why, but the frustration of losing everything would probably drive me away from the game entirely.

If achievements are the driving reason for a full reset, why not give people a choice? Reset and be eligible for achievements, or just keep playing your current progression. I imagine you would want a reset button anyway for people who enjoy the replay (there might already be one, I haven't looked). That would let people reset in their own time, and only if the achievements matter to them.
    edited December 2016
    ES_3432 said:

I've really been enjoying this game, and I've put a lot of time into it, but if I had known ahead of time there might be a wipe, I wouldn't have played at all until the full release. It was annoying to lose perks, although I understand why, but the frustration of losing everything would probably drive me away from the game entirely.

With the addition of Difficulty modes in particular, I'd argue it is far easier to build up Perks and Blueprints in the current version (v0.3) than the initial version (v0.1) even with the fact that there are many more to acquire. I think the game was very grindy starting out and has slowly become less so, but it is still more of a grind than it will be at launch. As such, I can definitely see the perspective believing the struggle should be compensated for.

Still, I find having access to play the title before it is released is compensation enough. With the knowledge of constant change and the ability for the developers to take anything away at any time, it would be hard pressed for me to get frustrated, angry at the developers or even annoyed. In truth, this gives me a better chance to experience what the game has to offer, as an opportunity instead of a disadvantage. Simply put, I've not grown attached to any of the unlockables while it is in it's early access state, and I think more players should adopt this mentality as well.

This said, I understand my perspective is not in the popular majority, and some people are frustrated by my philosophy of playtesting. If I have hit a nerve with anyone with my perspective, I am thankful that your passion ignites such an emotional response, but please know I do not mean to offend or belittle you.

All in all, I trust Rockfish Games will do what is best for the community as a whole. There's a great chance the goodies we've worked hard to achieve will be carried over. But if it doesn't, know that it's not because the developers want to spite us, but give us the opportunity to experience the game in it's purist form: from a clean slate.

Much respect to you all.
  • THEWOMPTHEWOMP Member Posts: 9
    I find myself partly agreeing with all of you.
    After having played this game so much and going through the grind to fully perk the interceptor, if there was a hard reset on launch i'd probably give up and not play it again; which i guess is not actually a problem for the developers who already have a sale and a fan of the game.
    Having said that, yeah i agree with @Giraffasaur about being adaptable and open minded to any and all changes before launch because they keep making the game better in so many ways. For example - I like that many of the devices / upgrades are class limited to specific ships even though it ruined some of my favorite builds - because it gives the ships their own character, their own advantages and disadvantages, it added a strategic gameplay element that simply wasn't there before.
    And now with one ship fully perked, i really don't have to go through the grind again when there are game updates, because if/when i get stuck i can just use the interceptor to do a cash run. I guess you could do the same with easy mode though it obviously takes away from the achievement.
  • ES_6413ES_6413 Kickstarter Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 3
    I wouldn't mind losing progress because of ship and perk changes (I already did and it doesn't bother me), since I understand that a game in active pre-release development needs to change a lot and can't consider individual players in this process.

Having to start from scratch would be a huge letdown for me though. I hope you'll leave that choice for each player to decide. The problem is, whether or not you get attached to achievements is NOT simply a choice you can make.
    If there is some story-related or technical issue with starting the final version with perks you have achieved previously, I think there would be a few simple solutions. Like converting all perks back into credits, which then get gradually refunded over multiple runs (or in any other way). Or you can put everything you have gained into (a limited number of) player ship wrecks and make your achievements recoverable through these. Would be a little more effort but - assuming it's not too hard finding the ship wrecks - also not entirely unappealing and fit into the current gameplay.

If I should prepare for potentially losing everything though, I can only stop playing the game for now in order to not further increase my disappointment.
  • exwhyzeeexwhyzee Member Posts: 19
    I don't mind losing the perks. The blueprints though? That's another story. Since those are RNG, it's by far more of a time investment to be without. And considering I still need the in-game resources to craft them, having them wiped would be a definite blow.
  • DeathpactDeathpact Member Posts: 29
    I also think it will be good if you manage to make the reset an option. This way noone gets frustrated. I for one don't care much about steam achievements. On the other hand i wouldn't be too upset with a reset. Why ? Because i just love the gameplay. I think even after i beat the game several times i'll keep coming to it just because it is a pleasure to be shooting at space fighters...
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,204
    Our latest plan is to don't force a reset but either display a message recommending one or probably having a dialog that asks the players if they want to reset or not.
  • DeathpactDeathpact Member Posts: 29
    That sounds like e very reasonable path !