Resources should be more diverse

berkoberko Posts: 9Member
In every run i got fucktons of fuel, scrap and credits. Other resources like processor are extremely rare. Crafting is nearly impossible. Last time I got 2 processors and suddenly 48 new items could be craftet.
I also destroyed 3 interceptors an all i got was loads of fuel and a little scrap.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,096Moderator, Space Cat
    edited October 2016
    Hmmm, I disagree.

If you have a ton of everything else (which it sounds like you did) and you gain a little bit of something new, it makes sense that you'd gain a lot of crafting options [if you have multiple Blueprints collected]. But keep in mind this means you can only choose 1 (maybe 2) of those 48 options, not all 48.

Not to mention, there is a good variety of resources to keep track of as it is. Some are found in obvious locations to make them easy to hunt for (which provide more basic crafting options) while others require a little bit of luck (but grant higher tier constructs).

If more types of resources were added, I think the game would start to get needlessly complicated. If the rarity of resources were equalized, I think it would become too easy to acquire any given resource (especially Dark Energy).

I will say I'd like to see more resource-prone locations to spawn for the player so we can make the decision of hunting for a particular resource.

----------

Okkar Interceptors are designed to drop Fuel-only. These fighters are meant to impose on players who do not jump by a certain time, and players who are searching for Fuel are more prone to hit this wall than those who are able to jump away. When a player is out of Fuel, it's a hard decision to try a Lucky Jump (and risk catastrophic damage), so the other option is to combat the Interceptors for that precious Fuel they need.

Fighting the Interceptors is still on a timer, though. Without gaining the Fuel, the player will be forced into a Lucky Jump before the Colonial Warships appear (if they aren't torn to shreds by the Okkar first).
  • berkoberko Posts: 9Member
    I don't want more types of resources (the amount is just fine), but more variety in collecting them.
    Thats the point: You spend hours to collect resources but you are not able to craft things because nearly every option requires processors. So you get 2 and can only craft one thing.
    I think crafting should be challenging but not impossible.
    It could be a solution to craft a device that converts one recource into another. For example u give 5 scrap and receive 1 processor.
    edited October 2016
    berko said:

I don't want more types of resources (the amount is just fine), but more variety in collecting them.

Ah, well it's hard to argue with this; I agree completely. More opportunities for the player to know how to acquire what they're looking for seems like a solid course of action, so long as it requires the player to actively make the decision.
    berko said:

a device that converts one recource into another. For example u give 5 scrap and receive 1 processor.

While the Trader/Service Station provide this functionality in the game (albeit at random), I think it would be nice for a more solidified way to swap more materials around.

I also think it would be nice to SELL ANY RESOURCE at any Trader/Service Station for Credits (but at a poor exchange rate). This could make the randomly generated trade for Credits a really good option but still allow for players to dump the 1000 Scrap they've accrued over the course of the run without feeling like they don't get anything for it.
  • FlightwavesFlightwaves Posts: 12Member
    One way to get processors early is to destroy all the gnb turrets you can find in the first sector
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 999Moderator
    In the next update the freighters will be differentiated between resource, fuel, credits and equipment transporters. This will make the decision to attack or not a bit more strategic. We were also thinking about some sort of "spy" consumable or device which allows you to see what enemies will drop. But we don't know if and when we are going to implement it.

We were also thinking about some sort of "spy" consumable or device which allows you to see what enemies will drop..

That sounds like a fun little tool to use! Could definitely help players decide if a particular scenario is worth their time or better left alone. Excited to see how this would function.
  • Ecak12Ecak12 Posts: 6Member

In the next update the freighters will be differentiated between resource, fuel, credits and equipment transporters.

Interesting! Maybe color-coded the transporter containers for different shipments so that players without an "cargo scanner" can have an rough idea what's inside. And players who acquired such scanner can know exactly what they are up to.

And back to what @berko said earlier, I personally didn't found resources to be very hard to collect. I do run out of Dark Energy and Dark Matter all the time but that's probably because I had too much fun with ARC-9000. However, I think it will help if you invest some credits into Resources perks, namely Crafting Costs and Bonus Resources
    . They can help you a lot especially at the start of a new run.