Rotating Asteroids

Seppo007Seppo007 Posts: 7Member, Common Beta Backer
Hi there,

I'm new here since the beta but deeply enjoying your game at any time I'm playing it.
Nevertheless I often wonder about the fact that nothing inside a level nothing is rotating, or moving, instead of the enemies / allies.

Will you introduce such a feature later or why did you choose to not let asteroids rotate / move some bit?

Comments

• ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 562Moderator
    Almost all asteroids (besides the one you can destroy) are static, that means that they are not reacting to physics forces. If they were, we would probably not even have half of the framerate we have now. Some smaller wreck parts react to force, also ships, containers and pickups do.
  • Seppo007Seppo007 Posts: 7Member, Common Beta Backer
    Thank you for your answer.

I didn't mean to add force impact to asteroids, I just thought of a steady momentum added to each asteroid inside the current level. Would this also cause the framerate to drop heavily, if only the hitboxes of the asteroids had to be recalculated on each frame?
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 562Moderator
    Could be possible but I don't really like the idea of all asteroids rotating all the time.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    While physics with all the objects in space would be AMAZING, it would require insane requirements like that of running Space Engineers at 60 fps. Everspace would then change from an optimized visual wonder into a more realistic but lagtacular experience without a beast of a computer, and since I'm running the game from a potato, I'd be a very sad giraffe with these additions. :tongue: