Giant Asteroids

DeXtarDeXtar Posts: 8Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
So i thought about some kind really big asteroids where you can kinda fly inside them and explore cave-ish chambers... just an idea that came to my mind :wink:

Comments

• HawkHawk Posts: 11Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    Could also be useful for hiding/ambush tactics. Cool!
  • SaloriusSalorius Posts: 32Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space God
    These hollow asteroids are already mentioned somewhen and -where in the kickstarter updates.
  • TensETensE Posts: 25Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Booster
    And then make a sport out of it to race in those asteroids. Create community maps and compete who can go through it faster. That'd be cool
  • DeXtarDeXtar Posts: 8Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    TensE said:

And then make a sport out of it to race in those asteroids. Create community maps and compete who can go through it faster. That'd be cool

Wow that would be absolutely awesome, i didn't even think of that idea :smiley: great idea :sunglasses:
  • ROCKFISH_MarcoROCKFISH_Marco Posts: 38Moderator
    Salorius said:

These hollow asteroids are already mentioned somewhen and -where in the kickstarter updates.

Yep, we have those already. :) Here's a shot from one of the earlier KS updates:
  • Kurzon MorrisKurzon Morris Posts: 73Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat

Salorius said:

Yep, we have those already. :) Here's a shot from one of the earlier KS updates:
    from the looks of this screenshot there is a crystal formation inside the asteroid, does this mean we can mine inside them? and whats the likelihood of an asteroid falling apart and crushing you while your inside?
  • AshezthAshezth Posts: 9Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr

whats the likelihood of an asteroid falling apart and crushing you while your inside?

There should not be enough gravity generated by an asteroid in space to collapse into itself lol
  • ES_4065ES_4065 Posts: 1Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat

That's what came to my mind right now ;)

The whole "flying inside huge structures"-thing really sounds like a lot of fun...
    I remember some of the campaign updates mentioning areas with huge spaceships tumbling around in space, destroyed a long time ago, that the player can encounter. Is there any chance that we will also be able to fly around in those?
    Don't want to mention Star Wars again, but somewhat like the scene inside the new Star Wars movie (inside the Star Destroyer wreck).
  • Kurzon MorrisKurzon Morris Posts: 73Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
    ES_5821 said:

whats the likelihood of an asteroid falling apart and crushing you while your inside?

There should not be enough gravity generated by an asteroid in space to collapse into itself lol
    i'm more thinking inertia than gravity, but some larger asteroids do have small gravity.

imagine, you inside and enemy/neutral mining outside as it collapses you ship gets hit, entirely plausible in my mind. question is how much damage will it do, destruction or simple damage. yes i know its an unlikely thing to happen but am curioise
  • PelinthPelinth Posts: 10Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog
    edited February 2016

ES_5821 said:

i'm more thinking inertia than gravity, but some larger asteroids do have small gravity.

imagine, you inside and enemy/neutral mining outside as it collapses you ship gets hit, entirely plausible in my mind. question is how much damage will it do, destruction or simple damage. yes i know its an unlikely thing to happen but am curioise
    I would assume since damage is modulated, that the debris from the asteroid would damage our ship and not outright destroy it. So you need to minimise damage from the asteroid debris by weaving around the asteroid debris, which would be a lot of fun and some challenge as well.

• SHWARTSSHWARTS Posts: 12Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    I would find large asteroids pretty fun to play with if they are destructable. Build a little foxhole or something
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    Will it be possible to land on an asteroid (or any other space satellite), giving the ability to "go for a ride?"

I like the idea of being able to hide from another ship by flying into an asteroid belt, then waiting it out.
  • KnopyKnopy Posts: 27Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr

Salorius said:

from the looks of this screenshot there is a crystal formation inside the asteroid, does this mean we can mine inside them? and whats the likelihood of an asteroid falling apart and crushing you while your inside?
    Yeah, there are crstals in their to mine