Women in Everspace?

CarolDanversCarolDanvers Posts: 15Member
I am new here and I am from the Avengers as I am known as Ms Marvel.

Could they be customization for women too as well as female voice for your character? It be so nice if you can choose your character customization or presets in the game. Do you ever see your character in the game or just hear their voice?

Is there anything everspace is doing to attract more women to play the game like in Star citizens? Perhaps in your missions have it so players will meet women and men characters? So you imitate a variety of characters in the universe? Not just only men fighting men and trying to gain control over the universe? :) I like to know that they are women too fighting along side men.

Perhaps it could mean more if an NPC was a women and took on a player who was a guy?

Has all the voice acting been done and so now its too late? Its just all male voice and male looks?

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited May 2016
    UPDATED FOR ACCURACY:
    @ROCKFISH_Michael indicates below that the main character will only be male, so voice-acting females will only be for NPCs.

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
    The player character can be either male or female; some of the randomly generated names for the player character are female-specific. I would be really surprised if they didn't get a female voice actor to follow suite to cover for this inclusion.

There is also Everspace concept art for the female character.

• CarolDanversCarolDanvers Posts: 15Member
    Wow I did not know that art exist! Do you know why the included female characters? Will we see alot of this in the game missions too? :)
    @CarolDanvers I'm sure they've included female characters to add diversity to the game and expand their demographic. I'm sure we'll encounter a multitude of female NPCs along the way, as well.
    Thanks for quick reply there should be put as a moderator so perhaps you can answer some obvious questions that newbies like me do not know! :)
    I'm glad I could help! I think you'll find the Everspace community to be a warm and inviting one.

I have to mention: The Rockfish team on the Forums does a GREAT job engaging and responding with the community. We might have just snuck on at a time while they weren't at work yet. ;)
    I don't mind if it is rough as I am Ms marvel you know from the Avengers? :) So bring it on boys! :) But thanks for the welcome! :)

Can't wait to hear from the team! :)

• ROCKFISH_MichaelROCKFISH_Michael Posts: 373Administrator

The player character can be either male or female; some of the randomly generated names for the player character are female-specific. I would be really surprised if they didn't get a female voice actor to follow suite to cover for this inclusion.

There is also Everspace concept art for the female character.

Where did you get that the main character can be female? I am afraid, we have to disappoint here as we don't got the budget for that. However, we will have different and interesting female characters in the story as well. How boring would it be without them? ;-)

edited May 2016

Where did you get that the main character can be female? I am afraid, we have to disappoint here as we don't got the budget for that.

Oh nuts, I made an assumption then. I know the concept art added was called "char-sheet-female" and assumed it was the lead character if generated as a female. Also, I have seen some female names populate in the Alpha. Is this placeholder, or am I culturally out-of-date with gender-neutral naming conventions?

@CarolDanvers I owe you an apology. Sorry for my assumption, mate.
  • urridurrid Posts: 1Member
    I excitedly purchased this game without even thinking that there would be a gendered voice actor or no option to change my character's gender. I had only watched a 2 minute teaser before I made my purchase, so that was a bit of my own mistake.

I requested a steam refund as soon as I read this thread. It's an interesting game but I can't get into it with the current protagonist. Maybe I will see you all at retail, or maybe not, but you directly lost a sale due to this.

It seems silly, but it matters to me. :(
    edited September 2016
    I think the lost sales due to not including a female protagonist will be so slim it is irrelevant, especially considering the time table and funds for the game.

Had there been more time or resources, I'm sure the Rockfish team would have gladly included ways to sneak in a female voice actor into the mix.

Either way, glad you are passionate about female leads; it's good to see you support what you love, @urrid . And I love great games, so even if the protagonist were a robot monkey zombie I'd still be buying this game due to the impressive mechanics, depth and replyability factor. (Not to mention beautiful sound design and AAA-quality visuals.)
  • samjazasamjaza Posts: 1Common Beta Backer ES1, Space Cat
    That is certainly disappointing. I finally came back to play after the alpha and what do i hear but this protagonists voice that takes me right out of the game. Will i be able to at least mute his voice and leave the others so that i can at least imagine.
    Or this is going to be a game i play muted.
  • GoldAsteroidGoldAsteroid Posts: 68Member
    Found shipwreck with its users log. Turned out to be a female pilot. Was nice little story and also got some nice 1500 credits.. Maybe we will get female pilot someday! :)
  • ROCKFISH_MichaelROCKFISH_Michael Posts: 373Administrator
    No worries, we will have several cool female characters in the game. We might even give the AI a female voice in the final game. Generally, nothing is set in stone for the cast of voice actors.