Weekend with Everpace and Initial Feedback

fdiaz78fdiaz78 Space Optimizr Posts: 101
Hi,

Well I spent the weekend with Everspace and finally uploaded a gameplay video on the backer video thread. So far I enjoyed my time with Everspace but as somebody who really wants this game to be fantastic I feel compelled to give feedback.

AI:

I love the AI aggressiveness and fight patterns. It doesn't get too repetitive but since the alpha has a limited number of enemy types I'm sure this will change and keep us engaged.

I hope in final or beta there will be factions. Me blowing up a Terran Cargo ship in sector 1 should -BEEP- off Terrans in Sector 2

I would like to see more coordination of enemies such as attack formations and longer dog fights

UI/Interface:

The enemy interface should be moved to the top of the UI. It's distracting on the reticle.

Crafting:

This is my biggest pet peeve and honestly it needs an overhaul or significant tweaks. Either the cost to craft items is too high or when we mine the yield is too low. It takes far too many resources to craft. I feel like I am spending too much time shooting rocks instead of shooting enemies. There needs to be a balance. Right now it feels like 80/20 loot hunting/mining vs combat. I think a better ratio will be 30/70 or 40/60. This is Everspace, not Evermine.

I'm also officially requesting that nano bots be craftable and we need a mining laser as standard equipment. There are giant structures with mining lasers and most space games that have mining have mining lasers. Shooting weapons to mine seems awkard.

Questions for Devs:

1. Any chance we will be able to buy blueprints from traders?
2. Can you please allow buying and selling of crafting materials?
3. Any chance we can dock at a station to talk to NPC's like GOF?

Overall had a lot of fun but as mentioned above the mining vs combat needs to be rebalanced. I would love to hear from other players if they feel this way too. Great job Rockfish! Great Alpha!

Comments

• fdiaz78fdiaz78 Space Optimizr Posts: 101
    Would love it if a Dev commented on this.
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Moderator Posts: 579
    1. Maybe
    2. Yes
    3. Maybe
    :p
    Thanks for your feedback. Noted!

1. Maybe
    2. Yes
    3. Maybe
    :p
    Thanks for your feedback. Noted!

Thanks for the quick response. If we just got a mining laser that would be fantastic. Thanks!
  • ZenTigerZenTiger Common Alpha Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 12
    I feel the same way, I played this all weekend and I love that I can just pick it up and play. But same with you, I feel Im spending a lot of time mining around and less time on the 'fun' action of combat. But I'm sure that will all change in the final product :smile: Definitely would encourage the game to have space stations or refuelling hubs to maybe find and buy blueprints and materials cause trying to find this stuff can really wear you down.
    ZenTiger said:

I feel the same way, I played this all weekend and I love that I can just pick it up and play. But same with you, I feel Im spending a lot of time mining around and less time on the 'fun' action of combat. But I'm sure that will all change in the final product :smile: Definitely would encourage the game to have space stations or refuelling hubs to maybe find and buy blueprints and materials cause trying to find this stuff can really wear you down.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope the developers take some of this into consideration for future builds.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited May 2016
    You've made a lot of great points in this post, but I would really like to put emphasis on this one:
    fdiaz78 said:

This is Everspace, not Evermine.

I think there is a great opportunity in each unique playthrough for the player to decide what kind of playstyle they wish to engage. One of these playstyles should be aggressive: combating space stations, mining facilities and frigates that enter the system would be common place for this player. Another of these playstyles should be more passive: exploration, scavenging and trading yield the resources for the upgrades the player is searching for. I'm not sure if every playthrough should require BOTH of these distinct playstyles, but rather have the ability to pursue EITHER.

The mining laser idea you've mentioned could serve as a method of distinction. If found, the player would have to decide if they want to sacrifice a little bit of firepower for an increase in resources, thus gaining upgrades faster. But is it worth the risk in a more dangerous sector?

Roguelikes are great because they provide players with multiple avenues to the same objective, but Everspace isn't quite there yet. The Alpha is in a great playable state right now, and I think the gameplay is well on its way to being the next big thing addressed.

Great feedback! I'm excited to see how the game progresses with the inevitable updates. :smiley:
  • jypsonjypson Customer Posts: 52

You've made a lot of great points in this post, but I would really like to put emphasis on this one:

fdiaz78 said:

This is Everspace, not Evermine.

I think there is a great opportunity in each unique playthrough for the player to decide what kind of playstyle they wish to engage. One of these playstyles should be aggressive: combating space stations, mining facilities and frigates that enter the system would be common place for this player. Another of these playstyles should be more passive: exploration, scavenging and trading yield the resources for the upgrades the player is searching for. I'm not sure if every playthrough should require BOTH of these distinct playstyles, but rather have the ability to pursue EITHER.

The mining laser idea you've mentioned could serve as a method of distinction. If found, the player would have to decide if they want to sacrifice a little bit of firepower for an increase in resources, thus gaining upgrades faster. But is it worth the risk in a more dangerous sector?

Roguelikes are great because they provide players with multiple avenues to the same objective, but Everspace isn't quite there yet. The Alpha is in a great playable state right now, and I think the gameplay is well on its way to being the next big thing addressed.

Great feedback! I'm excited to see how the game progresses with the inevitable updates. :smiley:
    I agree completely. I like hunting for loot and faffing about, and I also enjoy combat. After all it's called EVERSPACE, not EVERCOMBAT :p