I figured I'd do a summary of my thoughts and reactions to the first few hours of my play. I'll separate the post into five sections, the intro section (this), what I consider pros, cons, other thoughts, and summary.
- +Game starts right up; no long load time, even when installed on a HDD.
- +Looks, sounds, and feels beautiful on Epic (haven't played on anything else).
- +First sector cleared, second is looking entirely different (good variety should reduce monotony).
- +Good controller/mouse support. I have played finished games before that don't work nearly as well as this; when alt-tabbing or switching monitors, there isn't any issue when you resume play. The mouse disappears as it should, and buttons pressed on the game pad override any mouse input. Flawless.
- -My resolution on my primary monitor is 1920x1080. The game correctly detected it, but was windowed anyway. When I toggled window mode off, the program bugged out and would not display; it tried to go fullscreen, sound would play, I'd see a black screen for a fraction of a second, and it would then minimize. I had to close the program and re-launch before it correctly displayed in fullscreen.
- -Game does not offer customized video/audio settings (just low, medium, high, and epic video, and a toggle for music) -- I'm assuming this will come later.
- -I have both video recording and screenshot capture through Dxtory, and only movie capture works (an Everspace-only problem).
- -Unless you've picked it up or crafted it before, there doesn't seem to be any way to get an idea of how effective an item is. Essentially, you have no way of knowing before you scrap something if it is better than what you're replacing...
- »Black hole in sector 2! I haven't browsed the forums much, so I was surprised to see the black hole. I was even more surprised when it began to suck me in, with no warning. I escaped, and the average player should realize a black hole will suck you in, but no HUD warning surprised me a little.
- »At this point, I have no idea what (if any) purpose challenges serve. However, once I die I assume the three I've completed this run will reset
and give some sort of reward. This is not the case. They reset, but they give no reward that I've seen
- »Gameplay itself gets stale. I've played for near 5 hours, and I've gotten burnt out for today. I know that this is partially due to the rogue-like nature of the game, and partially the lack of content that is a result of the Alpha stage of the game, so I don't consider it a con at this point. Missions would be a nice touch, or some sort of faction-related perk that carries from area to area within a sector...