PS4 Aim Problem

Hi guys,
I ve just buy EverSpace but i have a bad feeling about this...
What's wrong with aiming on PS4?? It's simply impossible to adjust properly aiming, the game is unplayable!
When i slowly move the right stick to aim a target, i can't move in diagonal, only up/down or left/right but not together. It's just impossible to have a good play and the feeling is horrible!!
I play on c configuration whatever sensitivity i choose it's the same problem. My controller is ok.
Just play your game on ps4 to see what i mean

Fix it PLZ

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,157
    Hi,

I tested it, and I think I know what you mean. It's the first time this is reported, noone ever seemed to have noticed / bothered, though (including myself, I once finsihed the game on PS4 on my first run on normal without a single perk upgraded). The controls are the same across all platforms, so I don't think we plan on changing them after such a long time since the game's released (players are used to it).

However, there is an option on PC where you can toggle off some "Input Smoothing" (filtering) we're doing and this seems to fix the problem. Now, this option only exists on PC currently (it was basically added for HOTAS players). I can't promise that there will be another update on PS4, but I guess If we do another one, it would be easy enough to also include this option.
  • KanCoyoteKanCoyote Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2019
    The problem isn't smoothing... It is the dead zone i think.
    In your game dead zone up down is about 10, left right=10 and diagonal is 20...
    When we slowly curve the right stick in diagonal, the crosshair doesn't go in diagonal but up/down or right/left befor you cross the diagonal dead zone. It 's killing all feeling about aiming
    Hey guys!! Nobody do this -BEEP- since Golden Eye on Nintendo64!!
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,157
    I tested it, It's our smoothing which kinda creates a deadzone
  • KanCoyoteKanCoyote Member Posts: 3
    Well, i hope you will improve it in a patch soon.
    Thank you for answers.
  • kanokanorkanokanor Member Posts: 4
    I'm still hoping a patch what enables reconfigure the deadzone on PS4
  • PedalToTheMetalPedalToTheMetal Member Posts: 149
    I guess that's not the deadzone alone, but the way the amplification is applied. The fun here is, the 2D deadzone must be round, it must never cause any axis-snapping! Although not on a PS4, a while ago I messed with the gamepad input (used two XInput-compliant ones, obtained from different manufacturers and featuring different analogue sticks) for various tasks (wanted both speed and accuracy at the same time), and figured the only correct processing order (all the other ones produced issues close to the one described):
    1. Obtain the X and Y axis raw signed floating-point input (e.g. subtract the midpoint if necessary, convert to floats).
    2. Calculate the length of the vector obtained in step 1.
    3. Compare the length with the deadzone value, exit returning zeroes if less than (will also prevent a possible divide-by-zero later).
    4. Normalize the vector from step 1 by dividing it by the length value
    5. Subtract the deadzone from the length.
    6. (optional) Clamp the new length at a value of ([max. output amplitude]-[deadzone])
    7. Apply the amplification function to the final length value (a square one, e.g. (L/([max. output amplitude]-[deadzone]))^2, is already pretty neat).
    8. Multiply the unit direction vector from step 4 by the amplified knob offset from step 7, return the resulting X and Y values.
    Don't buy this game and I won't buy Everspace 2. That's pathetic how careless are the developers. This is a huge problem and makes the game unplayable on PS4 and still not fixed....
    edited January 27
    kanokanor said:

This is a huge problem and makes the game unplayable on PS4 and still not fixed....

AFAIK you can just use a mouse, also many report it is playable on a gamepad, so... I can't tell as I hate gamepad aiming anyway, so never actually tried anything but KB+mouse in ES (on PC that is, don't know if it works for PS4) :smile:

kanokanor said:

This is a huge problem and makes the game unplayable on PS4 and still not fixed....

AFAIK you can just use a mouse, also many report it is playable on a gamepad, so... I can't tell as I hate gamepad aiming anyway, so never actually tried anything but KB+mouse in ES (on PC that is, don't know if it works for PS4) :smile:

Strangely the keyboard works but the mouse aim doesn't on PS4, but this shouldn't be the solve because controller use is the main profile of the consoles, if these are messed up, the game is messed up. Don't buy this game on any console....
    kanokanor said:

Don't buy this game on any console....

I wouldn't be that critical, though, again, I never tried ES on a gamepad so can't judge right, most likely. From what I know - and from how I actually expected it differently as I used to play some DooM back in DOS days without a mouse (and later some more DooM on a Nokia cellphone), gamepad aiming is too much of a personal issue. I played console games with unassisted gamepad aiming, and although I didn't have too much trouble there, I looked them up on YouTube and it seems many people really ace them with my own gameplay looking very bland compared to them. And that with me acing DooM and DooM2 on a cellphone(!) on Ultra Violence! So, I guess, a "don't buy" is not really the right word(s) - I'd say just be careful, and choose by your own experience. Say, with my mediocre gamepad aiming I will not buy it for a console (as well as any other FPS or 6DOF game should it have a PC version as well) just because I am used to mice, I love how they feel, I've been using them since Quake 1 and Descent days etc... But if you are a skilled gamepad user, it will probably be your cup of tea (at least I saw people really enjoying ES on PS4, no idea how though - but again, I am too much of a mouse-addict to understand any gamepad aiming :tongue: ).
    > @PedalToTheMetal said:
    > (Quote)
    > I wouldn't be that critical, though, again, I never tried ES on a gamepad....

But yes, I would be critical because it's impossible to do precision aim via controller and these calibration settings should be accessable nowadays in every game...
    kanokanor said:

these calibration settings should be accessable nowadays in every game...

I guess you meant the response curves, not calibration. They - probably (though, well, see my post above about a somewhat precise XInput aiming method - looks like once you come up with a reliable amplification function there is no reason nor any sane way for a user to alter this).
    The calibration is simply a basic transfer function that defines zeroes and ranges, there is absolutely no reason to implement it in-game as there is either a service function in a console or in an OS that does it, or, like on X-BOX controllers, it is just done by the hardware itself automatically. And there is not such a thing as a calibration that suits you or not, as it can only be right (zero on a centered stick, max value at where the stick reaches limiter) or wrong (misplaced zero or incorrect max values).