Crash on start

sirtpmsirtpm Posts: 9Member
LoginId:c41c8f00466cb9a4b4bd549e21b4a5a6
EpicAccountId:19d5392065c74fd99e6f685bd7c1945f

You do not have any debugging symbols required to display the callstack for this crash.

Comments

• sirtpmsirtpm Posts: 9Member
    Already followed the step of that page:
    https://forum.everspace-game.com/discussion/1318/my-game-wont-start-what-can-i-do#latest

1. Buy game, install game, start game
    2. Loading game, wait
    3. main menu displayed, error message prompted, "RSG stopped" & "You do not have any debugging symbols required to display the callstack for this crash."
    4. follow the steps and try again, the same
    5. post to forum, wait for help.
    and there is no files in
    C:\Users\sirtpm\AppData\Local\RSG\Saved\Logs

Win7
    ROCKFISH Games??? anyone here?
  • PedalToTheMetalPedalToTheMetal Posts: 137Member
    Sys. specs at least...
    Win7 64 bit
    16 GB Ram
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
    Good, now the game's version itself ;) Also looks like the PDB files are missing, so reinstalling would help.
    Already tried and tried again. Still not working. :(
    Same error...
    What version are you trying to run, also from where (as GOG, MS and Steam releases differ pretty much)? Also make sure the debug symbols database "Everspace\RSG\Binaries\Win64\RSG-Win64-Shipping.pdb" is present and valid.
    I bought the game from steam.

Game version is v1.3.4.36508

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\EVERSPACE\RSG\Binaries\Win64\RSG-Win64-Shipping.pdb is here and its size is 395 MB
    Looks like some "outside" crash (the message clearly indicates the crash was induced by an imported DLL or something). Unfortunately I can't tell if it's Steam's client's fault or some external software as I use GOG versions whenever possible, though I'd advice to carefully check through your residential software and DLL wrappers, if any. Also your GPU seems a little aged. No, get me right - 600'th is a pretty neat line and I used GTX660 OC'ed for long without any single issue (after the swap last year it moved to my PC at work where it lives on) - yet a faulty driver may be of an issue nowadays so I'd revert to 398.xx something (IIRC that was the best one for 600'th). Some of the recent ones were pretty dodgy even for the 10xx cards so this feels like a right move. Also try out disabling the Win10's "desktop optimization" or whatever is it called (sorry, I'm on Win7). Another reason can be audio-related (well, this makes sense as there is no audio playing before the menu) so you can try either running with in-game audio disabled (guess there is some switch, look for one in the UE4's manual) or try reducing the sampling rate in Windows (going above 48kHz can cause trouble in some games afaik), though normally that is pretty tricky to mess up (I use an old SBAudigy for it's clean sound and EAX and still never had an issue with it).
    Anyway, what I'd start off with is disabling ALL of the interfering software first, starting with Steam overlay and next any other overlay, video capture or whatever software that can be potentially active. IIRC they added something with the recent Win10 update so I'd try disabling the feature as well.
    Thanks for your advices. No offence, but are you ROCKFISH support?
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,086Moderator
    Hi, hard for us to tell what's going on without a proper error message or crash log. PedalToTheMetal made some good suggestions. It's very weird that it says that you don't have any debugging symbols but you have the pdb file on disk. Never heard of that. There was an old game version at one point where we forgot to ship the pdb, but it's been a while.

Searching for the problem gave me an idea though: Could you yet again try to uninstall/reinstall, but make absolutely sure, that there are no old config/save game files in the folder C:\Users\{YOUR_USERNAME}\AppData\Local\RSG\Saved - best delete the whole local\RSG\Saved folder before re-installing. As the appdata folder is hidden by default, the easiest way to access it is by typing %localappdata% in a windows explorer address field.

The deleting of the saved files before re-install seemed to have helped a few players some time ago, see this thread for reference:
    https://forum.everspace-game.com/discussion/4334/game-wont-start
    Thanks, but I read that post before and tried to uninstall and reinstall the game. Still not working.
    As I said in previous comments, there are not logs file in C:\Users\sirtpm\AppData\Local\RSG\Saved\Logs, is it a correct place to find logs? (Only one user in my PC)
    If concerned, just type "%AppData%\..\local\RSG" (without quotes, but exactly like here otherwise) - %AppData% is your "AppData\Roaming" as registered in the OS's environment vars, so you jump one level up (hence the "..") and dig in from there, seems to be the most accurate way to navigate exactly where the software goes if specified to access the AppData.
    P.S. no I don't work for Rockfish, though I work on industrial measurement systems while messing with engine-building when bored, so I guess I'm free to flood here a little :)
    P.P.S. By the way I tried, and my logs are empty as well. Probably it was caused by a reinstall after the crash (I thought after a manual update you don't have to update the DLC - it is the same-sized archive, what could go wrong ;) ). It is a neat idea as we think about it - make sure the DLC is updated to the latest version (again, I have no idea if you can skip updating it on Steam as on GOG I simply download all the stuff manually, without ever installing the launcher).
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,086Moderator
    sirtpm said:

Thanks, but I read that post before and tried to uninstall and reinstall the game. Still not working.
    As I said in previous comments, there are not logs file in C:\Users\sirtpm\AppData\Local\RSG\Saved\Logs, is it a correct place to find logs? (Only one user in my PC)

Sorry, but I have double-check again, just to be certain - Before uninstall/reinstall, did you delete everything under C:\Users\sirtpm\AppData\Local\RSG\? I feel it's important, as it was key to success for others