Distance of Trackable Items

GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
Something that I seem to have a slight difficulty with is judging which direction I should follow the yellow markers, because I don't know what's closer. Currently, the best way to find out is to rotate directly to the object and "mouse over" it, where it tells you it's distance.

Instead, what about having the yellow indicators be smaller if further away and larger if closer in proximity? This subtle change may make it a bit easier for a player to quickly identify what they can scoop up after a dogfight versus what mineable resource is on the other side of the area.

Additionally, I'd like to point out I LOVE how containers are shaped like boxes versus various resources shaped my circles. If possible, would love to see more of these distinctions between resources, if applicable.

Thanks, and keep doing great work. Stream went well tonight, and the game is in a solid playable state [for me].

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,317
    Hi,
    Thanks for the suggestions, we'll discuss them here. Currently only the off-screen markers (on the ellipsoid radar) are scaled according to their distance. We'll also see if we can have more distinctions. Glad you like the game, thanks for your support!
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    Great to hear. Thanks, @ROCKFISH_Andi . Having the distinctions between containers (boxes) and resources (circles) is great, though allied ships would also be a nice separation with a small ship silhouette.

I'll be playtesting a little more today to see how well the size distinctions are for me; it could be that they are a touch too subtle and, in the moment, where hard to distinguish. Or I simply wasn't paying enough attention.

All in all, there are a LOT of details that are populated on the ellipsoid radar, so any and all distinctions for the player (be it size, color, shape, labels, etc) are great tools to help guide us in the right direction, literally.