"Your AMD graphics driver has known issues" warning

WeatherManWeatherMan Posts: 53Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
..Please update to the latest driver version
X is the recommended version
Y is your current version" (It does not really say 'X' and 'Y', but the recommended version is not the point of this discussion)

I likely won't be able to update my drivers anytime soon without messing up other things on my computer so this warning worries me. I'm running under the assumption that these known crashes and issues won't be fixed soon/at all, otherwise there probably would not be need for this warning.

Am I correct with this chain of thought or can I expect to be able to continue playing Everspace in the future without updating my drivers?

This is more of a question aimed at the Everspace developers, and maybe should be placed inside of 'bug reports' but the problems are already known and relating to AMD drivers hence why it is in the Hardware & System category.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,054Moderator
    Hi, sounds bad :( When exactly do you get this message? On startup? Are you still able to play the game? As far as I know this is not a message that is displayed by us, must be something the Unreal Engine throws automatically.
  • gkarrisgkarris Posts: 65Member, Common Beta Backer
    edited July 2016
    I'm using an AMD System - make sure you have the LATEST AMD system drivers.

I used the "Automatic Detect and Install Your Driver" program at:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

I don't know how you can ever go forward without updating them...

• WeatherManWeatherMan Posts: 53Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    edited July 2016
    As soon as I startup the game, it shows up before anything else appears.

And I CAN kind-of play the game if I make a bee line straight for the start button, there is a menu problem that cases the game to freeze.

If I had to guess it seems related to the Ship stats menu and the Ship perks menu every time, but only when I click on a perk in Ship stats.

This means any time I access any sort of menu I need to force the game to close.
  • mechgrimmmechgrimm Posts: 5Common Beta Backer, Customer
    Yesterday I´ve had the same problem here. I´m playing with a 4k resolution and a Asus AMD R9 Fury.
    First I´ve thought it´s from the Epic graphic settings but same issue at High and Medium.
    I´ve updated the AMD graphic driver to the latest version yesterday, issue still occurs.
    Today I wanted to try if its dependent from the resolution so I wanted to try at FullHD.

The freeze sometimes releases after 2-3 minutes and I can go on as usual. If also freezes when I go into any menu.

The strange thing was: When I´ve started up the first time the problem occured. So I´ve put the grapic settings from Epic to High and I could play without any problems for about 3-4 hours. Then exit to Windows and reentered the game --> freezes occurs...

Hope you have any clue what this could be, when it runs it´s a great game!
    edited July 2016
    I will try to confirm that fix.. Will update this post..

Nope.. I saw an orange plasma torpedo(? or missile?) go across my screen and I instantly froze.

nevermind! it unfroze after about a minute

So far (from time of creation to time of edit) mechgrimm seems to have found a way around the bug, so that means something with the 'High' visual setting is messing us up. .
    edited August 2016
    If you just wait a long time (30+ seconds) it starts working again on any setting.

Also I figured out the orange thing that froze my game was me seeing a heavy missile.

Also found a bug: the perk that lets you pick extra equipment does not give extra equipment some of the time.
    The issue is still up...
    When I start a run it freezes repeatable for about 2 minutes.
    After that I can play for normal as long i do not open any menu or try to change weapons in space. Then it freezes again but does not unfreeze again unfortunately...

So at the moment I can´t play the game. In other forums they recommended to lower the shadow quality which is at the graphics menu not possible. So I have no opportunity to test that.
    edited August 2016
    Are you able to test that before starting a run in the main menu?

Did you notice it freeze a second time once something new came on your screen (a missile or something)?

Try opening a menu right away in game and just go AFK for at-least 10 minutes, I'm hoping you have the same problem and your computer is just slower, if not then I suppose you can wait for a developer to read this?
    Ok, WeatherMan, I´ve figured it out now, it sounds ridiculous :wink:
    To run the game on my system I needed to turn on the music sound from OFF to 10%

On my first 3h in the game (which went pretty good without any freezes) I also had the music on (10% - 20% I think). In another board a guy mentioned that this problem has to do something with the sound.
    So I turned on the music and it works now.
    I´ve got 1 freeze for more or less 2 minutes and after that the game runs without freezes anymore.

Can you verify that at your system? Perhaps it can help you...

PS: It freezed always at the same time, independently from missiles or other VFX. And when I jumped with TAB into the menu for example to craft a weapon. And yes, in the menu it was sensible slower and reacted about every 30sec...