Repair options & scanners

daytonadaytona Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 46
I got a feeling this popped up before in the alpha section but having a hands-on go myself, I feel I could perhaps add to it. Sorry if this is a repeat and such.

I'm finding the Nanobots and Scanners being the 'bread & butter' for the runs I go through. If i'm without either, specially a scanner, things get out of control quickly. I was thinking perhaps the players ship could have something similar available but at a basic level. For example:
If you are out of scanners, you can use your own on board pulse scanner; charges over time and reduced range compared to the consumable. To help you find the components or perhaps highlight loot after a large battle. (Without a scanner, I find it very difficult to find fuel or anything in fact. Containers are tiny and interesting things tend to be covered in outlaw missile turrets :< )

Ship could also have an on board repair droid that makes rough patches or basic welding jobs using scrap. The droid fills hull's health bar with an orange colour, giving you some protection but not as efficient; enough to keep you alive a bit longer. (I get that survival is a thing with Rogue-likes but extra options could be nice. Like using a bandage to heal while hoping for a health potion)

Comments

• ES_744ES_744 Common Alpha Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 44
    I brought up the scarcity of Scanning Probes in Alpha and the answer was basically that it's intended you can't scan every system you enter:

https://forum.everspace-game.com/discussion/792/scanning-probes-too-necessary-or-containers-too-hard-to-spot

And I can kind of see their point. It's tough when you're starting, but once you get some of the perks to reduce fuel / crafting component needs, then it's pretty easy to have a massive surplus of crafting supplies by the later sectors.

That said, I still would like an unlimited use scanner with drawbacks.
  • Big72Big72 Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 17
    Another option I wouldn't mind would be for there to be a schematic for an add-on. An add-on that has less range than the consumable, but all the same functionality.
  • daytonadaytona Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 46
    I had a horrible run while finding Zero gas for at least two sectors. Each zone felt a bit aimless, drifting between asteroids or hiding behind Terrans. Ah well.
  • SpectalysSpectalys Member, Common Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 79
    edited July 2016
    daytona said:

If i'm without either, specially a scanner, things get out of control quickly. I was thinking perhaps the players ship could have something similar available but at a basic level. For example:
    If you are out of scanners, you can use your own on board pulse scanner; charges over time and reduced range compared to the consumable. To help you find the components or perhaps highlight loot after a large battle.

I think it is a part of the game:

Sometime, you loose your scanners and you are in the worst situation, but this is a possibility we need in this game !!

I remember, i had maybe 30 hull, no shield, no sensor, no scanner, space was so scary, I loved this moments.

All I could do is delay the hour of my destruciton and pray to have luck I don't know how.

Good moments for me :blush:

It is like Faster Than Light, rogue like games are like that, sometime you are so close do your death, some time your are powerfull.

• SigmaSigma Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 40
    And sometimes you come back from the brink of death!

Only to die horrible some other way...
  • Martinescu BelgraveMartinescu Belgrave Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog, Collector Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 4
    Hello!
    Fitst think, even in beta, Everspace is great game. Looking forward for final product, with story, more options, key mappings, etc.
    As for repairs, it would be great to have some passive repair routine addon {i am thinking in R2D2 here :) ). something that would slowly repair the ship when out of combat, with very slow speed, and even with some serious combat penalties when in use.Just to be able to lick one's wounds out of combat, to ballance some of the difficulties in game!
    Keep up great work!
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,317
    Yes, we already thought of some sort of passive auto-repair device that slowly heals you over time. Not sure if it'll make the game, but we're thinking about it.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110

Yes, we already thought of some sort of passive auto-repair device that slowly heals you over time. Not sure if it'll make the game, but we're thinking about it.

If you do, a suggestion for the drawback: energy doesn't recharge while in use.
    Not keen on the idea of self repair from nothing, just something else to patch up with: Gel & Scrap for example.
    But powering the 'R2D2' droid on ship would perhaps need energy as Giraffasaur suggested.
  • EvilTwinTepeEvilTwinTepe Common Alpha Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 5
    What about a repair drone? It can be slow, use some of your energy regen or something. At least it is a consumable that would hopefully jump with you between systems?

At least it is a consumable that would hopefully jump with you between systems?

If it were to stay with you, it would have to sit in the equipment slot. However it may become as important as the sheild: why would you ever scrap/take it off again? Might be worth trying that out at least.

• WeatherManWeatherMan Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 53
    edited August 2016
    I've never had to use scanners at all and never ran out of fuel because of it across my 26 runs (2 of which beating the game, most of which I die at sectors 3-5).

Take the time to look around more, minable asteroids will always glow from any distance and Outlaws are always liable to drop fuel it seems. You can usually find any amount of containers near structures and minefields with more goodies are visible from a distance.

If you guys are having trouble with finding fuel without scanners may I ask how long you spend near each area? From my FTL experience (yes, it is comparable to Everspace in that you need to balance time spent in areas vs scavenging/exploration) lacking resources is usually because people are moving too quickly and aren't being thorough enough.

To be honest I'd like to preserve the exploration/no hand holding part of the game (which are core components it seems), to me it's no fun if every objective and every item constantly has it's own waypoint and escaping that way of thinking in game design is one of the factors that brought me here.
  • Martinescu BelgraveMartinescu Belgrave Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog, Collector Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 4
    A

If you guys are having trouble with finding fuel without scanners may I ask how long you spend near each area? From my FTL experience (yes, it is comparable to Everspace in that you need to balance time spent in areas vs scavenging/exploration) lacking resources is usually because people are moving too quickly and aren't being thorough enough.

Yeah, once I maxed out
    speed perks, it is easy to jump over the sector and collect anything you need. And with cloak ability, i was able even hit and run the freights for additional supply of fuel and other goodies
    Last three systems I managed without a scratch into hull, so hoards of nanobots and lack of R2D2 was no issue.

I loved the idea of
    flaks, for swatting swarmers :)
  • WeatherManWeatherMan Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 53
    edited August 2016
    I've also recently noticed that using left Alt to look around is not just a cosmetic thing and is actually one of the most useful tools for finding items you normally would have missed (second to the scanners that auto-find everything before you even start moving).

So there's my new tip, I'd really like to know if it actually helps other people of if it's just me.

In my opinion I find the scanners somewhat redundant in normal gameplay unless I desperately need something like gas to fix my life support.

Anyways..

Maybe as you upgrade your ship new enemy types should start having a chance to replace the normal ones (for example a Modified Outlaw) that looks like a meaner version of it's normal counterpart similar to how you upgrade. Modified ships would share some of your speed/energy/etc upgrades to compensate for strong player ships. In essence faux elite ships that don't drop as good of items and scale with player strength, so you don't need to spam real elites to challenge experienced people like Martinescu Belgrave.

They would also be there to allow normal enemies to keep themselves static compared to player strength, otherwise upgrades wouldn't mean anything if everybody is always as strong as you.

From my experience it's really nice when a game does not rely on cannon fodder enemies and tries to rival the player with skillful opponents, makes them/everything else seem more real somehow (probably because the characters in the game don't seem as perfectly willing to fly into a meat grinder time and time again).