Derelict/Wrecked Ship Interraction

XandruXandru Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 1
Given that we'll be able to fly around the remains of ships in the game world, I thought I'd be neat if we could interact with various bit of wreckage to find loot.

Example: You find an old battlecruiser, it's pretty beat up, but one of it's hangar bays is closed. You scan the bay and find an offline drone inside that has tech that may be useful. You could either:

1) Supply power to the hangar bay and then attempt to hack it open though if you fail you run the risk of activating any surviving security measures on the outside of the hangar.

2) Supply power to the hangar doors and the drone, attempt to hack the drone and open the doors from the inside but failing to do so may result in a fight with said drone and possibly damaging/losing the tech if you beat it.

3) Blast the doors off but you may damage or destroy the drone and you might attract attention to your position resulting in a fight with pirates.

This is just one example of what could happen. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Comments

• HawkHawk Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 11
    Interesting idea. I didn't think that type of game play would be in ES...but if it can be managed I'd really be intrigued by that (almost a game within a game).
  • SaloriusSalorius Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space God Posts: 32
    Nice idea ! Can even be added to the lore.
    If you do not find a drone, but piece #1 to build a mysterious weapon. And this piece#1 has some coordinates in its data storage which unfortunately points deep into enemy space but do lead to piece #2 ..
  • kirov099kirov099 Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 10
    Cool idea! I'm wondering if the loot system will work more like this or if it will be more like picking up powerups dropped by enemies.
  • WeatherManWeatherMan Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 53
    edited January 2016
    The multiple ways of problem solving idea has not been done inside of a Galaxy On Fire/similar game before (to my knowledge), I'd really like to see how that would play out in Everspace!
  • Kurzon MorrisKurzon Morris Kickstarter Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 73
    Great idea. since you can fly into asteroids and were using fighters i think it would be more in keeping to have an abandoned space station that you find either in tact but derelict or partially damaged/in pieces. Allowing you to fly into it either by destroying an air lock or simply the bulkhead, then you can look round it heading to the armory and ship hangers for parts and weapons.

this would allow you to see cool things like destroyed shops and walkways and other really cool things that you normally see in a space station.

It could still be done in a battleship but it would have to be huge, other wise its just a hanger which feels like a little let down, or it could be practice for a space station. I'm thinking something similar to size of ds9 (star trek) or the huge one that can fit multiple enterprises around earth (again star trek)
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110

The multiple ways of problem solving idea has not been done inside of a Galaxy On Fire/similar game before (to my knowledge), I'd really like to see how that would play out in Everspace!

You should check out FTL. It is a top-down real-time strategy roguelike, but you command the crew of a spaceship that must travel across multiple sectors. There are a lot of different ways to solve the many problems encountered in this game, and the options vary depending on your crew, your upgrades and your ship's loadout.