Will there be larger ships than fighers?

GillyGilly Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 7
Just a ponderence, will there be ships larger than fighters, like gunboats or salvage frigates that will be player controllable? Because roaming scrap fields in a salvage frigate, combing for valuables would be awesome.

Comments

• Kurzon MorrisKurzon Morris Kickstarter Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 73
    there are defiantly larger ships in the game from space stations, capital ships etc... however none of them will be controllable. us players will be piloting small ships that are extremely customisable in both armament's and weapons but also visual style so you will be able to kit your ship to be a missile esque ship if you want (I suspect) as for actually controlling gunships and frigates I know there in the game, there are concept art around, however I believe the devs are trying to keep us in smaller ships that can be re-kitted to fill the role you find most fulfilling.
  • RaptorAlphaRaptorAlpha Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Pro Posts: 67
    Yeah this is an arcade-style shooter where you're supposed to be swooping around in a quick maneuverable ship. Fighters are it.

But bigger ships will be involved in missions, likely mainly as obstacles for us to fly around and to annoy/kill us with their defensive fire.
  • TensETensE Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Booster Posts: 25
    I just hope it's not going to be like fighting an Anaconda in an Eagle for anyone who's played E:D you know how dreadful that was.
  • lohiemerlohiemer Common Backer ES1, Common Alpha Backer ES1 Posts: 3
    I cant imagine it's anything quite that painful. It's hilarious when it happens in reverse though :) I don't think we are going to get larger ships as it probably isn't in-line with the Dev's views of a "Rogue-like" game, and that is my opinion as well. I think the quicker the action happens, the better, reducing the amount of grinding it takes to, say, get reactive armor on your eagle, worth 6 times as much as the ship itself (another E:D reference). But then again I could be wrong.
  • Kurzon MorrisKurzon Morris Kickstarter Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 73
    Just cause our ships are small doesn't mean we cant upgrade to something more deadly. O get the impression that there will be capital ships and such and they will fight each other while we defend ours and attack others gun/subsystem emplacement.

I think the idea is for the game to be similar to the old x-wing and Tie fighter and x-wing alliance. In these games we never played large ships so i think we will be fine with smaller ships especially as we can upgrade them with better weapons and other subsystems.

Think more X-wing Alliance rather than Freelancer
  • TurimbarTurimbar Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 3
    TensE said:

I just hope it's not going to be like fighting an Anaconda in an Eagle for anyone who's played E:D you know how dreadful that was.

I don't think that's what they're shooting for. Unlike E:D Firepower doesn't seem to scale exponentially with size.
    Per usual though, I will be withholding all final opinions until a playable version is available.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,189
    There will be smaller differences in size of the ships that you will be able to fly, but not major ones.