Factions - How do they Work?

GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
With the Alpha testing underway and the core components to Everspace being refined, my mind has been racing ahead for the elements to come to our beloved anticipated game.

Something that has been spoken about very lightly has been the Factions of Everspace. Factions have been created in a multitude of ways through a variety of games. Sometimes, Factions represented different emotions (the angry people, the forgiving people, the loving people, the passive people). Other times, it represented an archetype of sorts (traders, merchants, pirates, soldiers). Still, they can be simplified to moral reputation (good, neutral, evil).

From the way we understand the Everspace world, each successive playthrough will affect the next. With this resonating effect, I'm curious as to how our interactions with the Factions of the galaxy will work.

If we align ourselves with a Policeforce-like Faction, will it take a considerable amount of time to team up with the Pirates in a later playthrough because of our past allegiance? Or, do the Factions completely reset based on the player character?

As a player, I'm torn. I love the roguelike mentality of affecting each successive playthough, but I also want to see how I've impacted the world with my alignments if I'm consistently faithful to them.

What are you guys expecting when the Factions make their way into the game?

Comments

• CarolDanversCarolDanvers Posts: 15Member
    To Everspace any thoughts on this? Have you seen Deus Ex mankind and the choices they have? Its very popular and I do hope you can somehow have this in the game? Or are we expecting too much?

On Deus ex mankind divided choices
    For Human Revolution we actually didn’t want [the ending to be dictated by] a press of a button, [but we had to] for production reasons and timeline and schedule. We actually wanted to have the player do things, and we believed that if you really believed in your ending you’d have to work for it. Really what we wanted to do from the get go was, “can we really push the narrative in ways where choices you make early on can impact later”? Now we’re embracing the idea of choice and consequence.
    So no, there won't be multiple choice endings in Mankind Divided because that's in some regards, a cop out.

What are they doing instead? Instead of having players pick an 'A', 'B', or 'C' scenario to determine the endings, the ending that you end up with will be determined wholly by the choices and consequences made throughout the game.

So instead of trudging through the game and making some plot-defining choices only for it to not matter, this game does the complete opposite. There's no arbitrary multiple choice ending at the end of Mankind Divided that erases away everything else you did beforehand. Instead, the ending reflects everything else you did beforehand.

Now that's something that should have fans very excited.

In most games it's really hard to go through, make a bunch of decisions and then actually have those decisions affect the final outcome of the gameplay experience.

In the case of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided they're actually putting in the time to have an ending that's fine-tuned to the experience of the player.

I'm now really interested to find out exactly what sort of outcomes we could see in Deus Ex: Mankind Divded.

For a long time a lot of AAA games have been stuck in a rut and going in circles when it comes to narratives, but it looks like Eidos Montreal is going to focus on pushing both narrative choices and narrative design to the limits with their upcoming game. Now, the only question is will the game live up to the standards and expectations of fans?
    Another smasher for Everspace if they had this too!!!! :)