[DISCUSSION] Current game difficulty

humanevilhumanevil Posts: 98Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
so i have made and read threads where its been ask that a particular npc be nerfed but recently ive been thinking does the difficulty need to be nerfed? or do we just need the npc aim to be adjusted and leave the game as it is or even make it harder?

im of the opinion that the aim should be adjusted of the npc and leave the difficulty as is or made more difficult as to keep true to what the game is supposed to be.

Comments

• SoranSoran Posts: 95
    Well as in other games they do have different difficulty modes.
    Easy
    Difficult
    Hard core.
    Perhaps something like this can be implemented
  • humanevilhumanevil Posts: 98Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    Soran said:

Well as in other games they do have different difficulty modes.

Easy

Difficult

Hard core.

Perhaps something like this can be implemented

im confidante they will have that in beta but maybe tweaking otherthings first will lead to the game being a good challenge on all difficultys rather than easy = blind folded no arms type of easy lol. maybe im suggesting an idea/fix for something thats just not broken ???
  • TaktikerTaktiker Posts: 11Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    The NPC´-BEEP- very very good :smiley:
    Im getting kinda used to it slowly but it feels really hard thats true ^^
    Im at a point where i feel like sector 1 - 3 thats fun gameplay, as soon as i reach sector 4.... i suddenly reach hardmode and everything is trying to kill me really bad. 1 - 3 seems really simple compared to 4 :)
  • humanevilhumanevil Posts: 98Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    Taktiker said:

The NPC´-BEEP- very very good :smiley:
    Im getting kinda used to it slowly but it feels really hard thats true ^^
    Im at a point where i feel like sector 1 - 3 thats fun gameplay, as soon as i reach sector 4.... i suddenly reach hardmode and everything is trying to kill me really bad. 1 - 3 seems really simple compared to 4 :)

yea tell me about it lol my latest run i got in to the second system in sector 4 (2 mediums the rest high risk) and i had zero fuel but i found a base but it was a massive outlaw base lol and 4 big batrtleship mofos jumped in lol...safe to say i died
  • CremboCrembo Posts: 8Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    I'm fine with the difficulty post-latest-patch since the game is DESIGNED to make you die over and over until you buy enough perks to get over the hurdle, but what I really really want changed is to separate weapon energy and boost energy.

Ordinarily I'd expect to alternate between shooting and dodging when I fight, but since both of them are tied together, in about 2 seconds flat I find myself unable to shoot *or* dodge, just a sitting duck waiting to get even one more shot in because enemies will always hit you if you're not boosting and your shield is not regenerating. This "sitting duck" period is intensely frustrating.

Of course the solution to energy conservation is to craft and shoot missiles, but right now missiles cost a ton of resources - scrap is so precious you could go through an entire run barely able to craft a mod - and you only get one per, too. Use missiles early and you'll find yourself dry and cursing in Sector 4... But if you DON'T use them and the enemies you just killed drop more missiles than you can hold, you've just wasted potential resources. Argh argh argh argh
  • KasimirKasimir Posts: 1Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    I feel the difficulty is appropriate (as of 5/14/16), although I have yet to make it to Zone 3 in one piece. If you are able to find the enemies ahead of time (i.e. ambush) you can handle at least 4 enemies without significant damage.I think the enemy accuracy and hits should be reduces whilst ONLY strafing and dodging. If you're not trying to dodge then you SHOULD be in a world of hurt.

On a side note please put in a color blind mode if you are able. I have trouble seeing enemy diamonds that are out lined in red. I have pretty bad colorblindness (propanopia) and find that a different color scheme can help. Either follow general industry guidelines or forge your own path with colors that don't compete like White=terran or ally, blue=enemy, and green=neutral. Just my 2cents.
  • ES_10005ES_10005 Posts: 1Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    I agree with Crembo, having both attack and defense tied makes it painful. If a group of enemies isn't near debris I do not engage them, but maybe that's part of the game-play.

I also look to deal with threats in order of ability to kill them, drones usually being high on the list followed by simple fighters. IF it gets out of hand I take out big fighters with multiple missiles but otherwise focus on getting targets down.
  • ShiuzanShiuzan Posts: 76Customer
    I find the difficulty to be just right for the amount of sectors that we currently have in the game.
    The more sectors we have the more "stretched" the difficulty should get. As in instead of having hard locations in sector 3 or sometimes even in 2, have them only appear after sector 4, as this is the only thing keeping me from reaching the end of the 4th sector momentarily.

In many occasions I feel like the difficulty is just right as it is now, after playing for weeks it gets easier but still isn't easy.
    As the games world grows I believe it will get more playable and long lived for the people that have problems with the current difficulty.
  • TaktikerTaktiker Posts: 11Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    Just to mention it: Yes the NPC´-BEEP- very very good ^^ thaht could need some more tweaks
  • Reondryt GuruthosReondryt Guruthos Posts: 1Common Alpha Backer, Space Dog
    I think the balancing is pretty on point for an alpha already. If you get a hang of the game, know what you need for what and upgraded your ship also, I would actually call it easy. Especially if you know how the AI acts and don't jump in head first. If there is a larger group for example changes are high that a second group jumps in to fight the other and you can either jime in the fight when they are busy or kill off the survivors, or you lure them into black wholes, to mines or friendly platforms (that mostly go down and you get their loot without attacking them).
    The learning curve is well done for what is playable, but I'm currently looking forward to the next content drop, since I've pretty much seen it all. Pretty much any time I died because I was either overconfident or just plain careless. Never because it was just too hard.
  • ChillPlayerChillPlayer Posts: 32Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr

Pretty much any time I died because I was either overconfident or just plain careless. Never because it was just too hard.

this is my nr cause of death too, getting to cocky and attacking a base with launchers and 4 enemies flying around, head on with guns blazing - until I go down and kick myself in the behind lol :D