A couple easily game changing suggestions

VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Posts: 107Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
First off I would just like to say that this first suggestion I got from 6DOF(Degrees of Freedom) indie game based on Descent called Sublevel Zero, and that is to add an engine component to the ship.

First Suggestion: Engine Slot
Keep the perks but add an engine slot that can be upgraded as well as blueprints and new engines to swap out with like other things, this would of course affect max speed, boost speed, jump timing(faster/slower), could add in Trichording(faster movement when moving in 3 planes at once, strafe up/down, left/right, forward/backwards all at once.

I think this could be a very interesting thing to add to the game as well as add in more options for ship customization during runs as well as give players more use for stockpiled resources.

Second Suggestion: Scanning Probe being moved to a ship slot instead of consumable

I don't know about anyone else but, these items are pretty much MANDATORY no matter what you do, they are far too important to getting resources in 'empty' zones that don't have any large structures or obvious resource nodes to them. Yes there are consumable slot upgrades via perks but it doesn't really solve anything, one slot is almost always going to be a scanning probe which can ruin any chance of getting a wide array of items to use in your run.

What I propose is, like the engine suggestion, get rid of them being a consumable and make them a permanent slot to the ship that, can be damaged like other parts of the ship and make it consume fuel to use. This also makes fuel an even MORE precious resource and forces the player to think more critically, does the zone upon jumping in look like you can get enough fuel to of course refill the jump but power a scan? Make scanning a zone take time and a dedicated button that you have to hold down for maybe 10 seconds for it to power up and go off, subject to change of course.

This could add more blueprints to the game as well, upgrade perks, mods, blueprints, lessen the fuel cost, charge time.

Comments

• fdiaz78fdiaz78 Posts: 101Space Optimizr
    Love the scanner idea being a non consumable. If fact to up the risk how about make scanning have a random chance to attract pirates?
  • SoranSoran Posts: 95
    I agree scanning probes are essential . ATM I'm out and it really inhibits my game play. I can't gather enough materials to build them making my game slow amd boring. It would be better to limit the use than not have them at all