My thoughts, and what I want to see

jeroendevis@gmail.com[email protected] Member Posts: 6
edited January 28 in SUGGESTIONS (ES2)
So I really enjoyed Everspace 1, and one of my favourite games ever is still Freelancer. I want to give my thoughts on the game so far, what I'd like to see added etc.

Space

The game looks awesome, and the planets look really good. What I miss a bit are nebulas (even if they don't make sense, it looks awesome). When cruising it all really looks empty, gas clouds and asteroids all around would make it look a bit more alive.
To add to that, it also feels a bit dead, because there are so few NPCs flying around. Sometimes you get hostiles, but pretty much only in (semi) scripted encounters, not in random locations. I also wonder if you can ally with more factions in the full game, because that also feels a bit empty.
What made freelancer awesome for me was all those systems with their own pirates and police, and trading factions, some allied some not, and you could fix your reputation with all, and choose to be an outlaw rather than friendly with the miners and/or cops. But I guess they don't have the team for this scope?

Bases

The places you land on are really boring at this moment. Most look the same once landed, nothing happens, and only a few offer something unique like jobs, ships for sale or something for sale that is rare.
Would love to have some sort of news section, a few locals to talk to and get missions from rather than just a menu. Could be either 2d or 3d, that doesn't matter all that much.
I liked one base I happened to come across that had an old friend, and gave you a mission with some nice flair.
Some missions ask you to deliver stuff to another location, but give no clue as to where to find what you need to deliver. Feels weird when someone asks you to get some items to another base but also expects you to loot/buy it somewhere.

Travel

Travelling feels fine, though going into cruise mode is really jarring, getting a small loading screen, and suddenly getting less details in the world.
Same for exiting cruise, you can only exit it when you reach a location predetermined, where you autopilot too. I understand why this is done, because otherwise you'd end up in the middle of nowhere, with nothing of use in sight, but it feels off.
It's also weird how with autopiloting you, according to the distance marker, pretty much headbutt the location, but don't see anything untill the loading screen is gone and you are in normal mode again. Hope they can somehow make that more fluid.

Combat

Combat is great, the weapons each have their own benefits and negatives, glad you can switch them up in space according to the enemy you currently encounter. The devices are fun, it's nice that you can choose between different modes easily, and you get enough points to unlock a few fast enough.
The gravity device is fun, but the distance you can throw ships is quite short, so I often spam the button without anything happening and I can't really see properly when I can use it.
The enemies are quite strong in numbers, you really need to use cover, creating distances etc. or you will get blown up.

Story/Lore

You seem to get small tidbits of information on the lore while playing, and sometimes discovering stuff (I found a wreck with a journal for example). But overall, you just fly around in a system, with a miner faction and pirates, and you know it's a DMZ and that's it. No lore on the universe, the factions and the systems. I don't know how much is in the game right now, but I really hope they add a lot more story, because it really helps you emerge in the world.

Puzzles

The puzzles are fun little thing to do, sometimes you do need some thought, sometimes it's just looting energy here, dropping it there. I also found a race on the first planet you land on, and I managed to complete it in time after 3 tries, but I don't think I got any reward? No idea what was up with that.
I hear lot's of negativity about this all, but it's a fun little distraction for me, but I do hope there comes more variety.

All in all, I love the game, and really hope they deliver a great game on release.

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,317
    Thanks for the feedback. Some valid points there, but remeber, we are only getting started with Early Access and we are also a relatively small team. But we'll surely improve on what is already there.
    On a side note, we're not checking these forums very often and have put a text in the game that tells players to use the Steam or the GOG forums instead. Your feedback is a lot more likely to be read by us and to ignite a discussion when posting there. These forums here will get more relevant once we sell the game on consoles, as for these there are no dedicated forums.
  • jeroendevis@gmail.com[email protected] Member Posts: 6

Thanks for the feedback. Some valid points there, but remeber, we are only getting started with Early Access and we are also a relatively small team. But we'll surely improve on what is already there.
    On a side note, we're not checking these forums very often and have put a text in the game that tells players to use the Steam or the GOG forums instead. Your feedback is a lot more likely to be read by us and to ignite a discussion when posting there. These forums here will get more relevant once we sell the game on consoles, as for these there are no dedicated forums.

Thank you for the reply, I'll update my post because I finished it all so far, and post it on those forums.