Cant bind certain functions

Hey, im not sure if this is an issue with the game or something on my end but i cant bind some buttons to my joysticks (Virpil Constellation Alpha's with WarBRD bases). Specifically i tried binding the super cruise function to my left hand pinkie trigger but an error message pops up saying something about receiving an axis input when a button was expected. Ive recalibrated my sticks, both through windows and the VPC proprietary software.

The sticks for fine in Star Citizen so im not sure what else i could be doing wrong. Any advice on how to fix the issue would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• FadeFade Member Posts: 5
    Got same problem with T.16000m FCS Hotas... which is not as fine setup as yours but a really common used one. Thought for sure there would be a profile for it, but it wasn't, and now I'm unable to map it correctly... due to the same problem you are having. All HAT buttons on the joystick and thrust are recognized as axises and those you can only bind to steering and thrust.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,297
    Hi, when you receive these message, it means that these switches/hats etc. indeed ARE axes and deliver analogue input values to us. The way Unreal engine handles inputs makes it very complicated for us if we wanted to change them into button inputs, which is why we show the error message. It's currently just not possible to use an axis for a button input and unlikely that this will change in the future. In the presets we created, we pretty much all the time use the hat's x-axis for strafing and the y-axis for hovering, which works really great, because strafing/hovering is so important in our game and that way you can move the ship up/down/left/right as well as pitch/yaw/roll by just your right hand on the joystick.
  • TajikTajik Member Posts: 4
    I may have used the wrong word by calling that button a trigger. I'm trying to bind the super cruise function to an actual button that sits by my pinkie finger. I don't understand how a button with only one action on it could be read as an axis.
    I do trust the error message, my guess is that the buttons works like "triggers" on an xbox controller, these also deliver analog inputs, meaning the more you press them down, the higher the value (from 0 to 1)

Sorry, I don't think there's anything we can do in the near future
    Ok, thanks for commenting. But it definitely isn't a variable input kind of button. Oh well. Nothing that can be done i suppose.
    I FIGURED IT OUT! Ok, sorry im a total noob to joysticks. i had my deadzone set to 0% so it seems anything was setting them off. i think the shear movement of the -BEEP- earth was registering on these things lol!
    Tajik said:

I FIGURED IT OUT! Ok, sorry im a total noob to joysticks. i had my deadzone set to 0% so it seems anything was setting them off. i think the shear movement of the -BEEP- earth was registering on these things lol!

Glad it's working for you now!