Stadia controller - custom mappings

I’m playing the game on Stadia.

What I cannot do and couldn‘t find satisfying information on is how I can remap my Stadia controller.
When I‘m playing using my Chromecast, all I can do is choose between „Apply“, „Cancel“ and „Restore Defaults“ when in controller mappings.

And when I remap them using a keyboard / mouse combo on my computer they are reset to defaults the next time I start the game. Basically I cannot play the game anywhere else but on my computer which defeats the purpose of Stadia...

Am I doing something wrong or is that indeed a known issue?

Comments

• ROCKFISH_IngmarROCKFISH_Ingmar Administrator Posts: 5
    Hi Michael,

Yes this is a known issue we still need to fix. Changes will most likely arrive within the first quarter of 2021.
    (Please don't nail me down on this if it takes us a little longer).

I am surprised that settings get reset when switching the endpoint.
    We never saw this happen when testing.
    In fact I've just tested this with our chromecast and changes did carry over :-/
    But maybe this is because we are always testing on a dedicated servers.

Could you please be so kind and try following:
    (1) Start the game on your PC with KB+M
    (2) Have the Stadia Controller connected via USB
    (3) Adjust the gamepad settings to your liking and save
    (4) Start a new game to make sure changes were actually saved
    (5) Quit the game properly via the Save&Quit from main menu
    (6) Start up the game on your chrome cast (using the same controller) and check if changes carried over

Your feedback could be very helpful for us and others whether this did help or not.

Thanks a lot and sorry for the inconvenience.
  • michael_breckermichael_brecker Member Posts: 4
    Hi!

Thanks for your quick answer!
    Happy to hear this is on the agenda.

I just recently noticed the changes not even taking effect when in the same game. I changed them with mouse / keyboard and when going back to the main menu and continuing a game the default controller settings would not have been changed at all. So same endpoint, game running without any interruptions and the same controller connected all the time (wirelessly).

I‘ll give your request a go and will post my experience after. This might take a couple of days, though.

Regards.
  • threeonethirdsthreeonethirds Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2020
    Can confirm I’m having the same problem as well, with Xbox controllers on chrome browser.

As soon as I click apply and exit the remapping menu, if I go back into the remap menu, the controls have already been reset to their original state.

Is there a way I can request my save file to be deleted, so that I can at least start over with the default controller mapping? I contacted Stadia and they told me saves were handled on your end.
    edited December 2020
    Hi, guys!

Could you please be so kind and try following:
    (1) Start the game on your PC with KB+M
    (2) Have the Stadia Controller connected via USB
    (3) Adjust the gamepad settings to your liking and save
    (4) Start a new game to make sure changes were actually saved
    (5) Quit the game properly via the Save&Quit from main menu
    (6) Start up the game on your chrome cast (using the same controller) and check if changes carried over

Your feedback could be very helpful for us and others whether this did help or not.

I tried the mentioned steps, but I cannot finish, because step (4) already fails.
    When I reconfigure the controller and start a new game the mappings are the defaults, no matter what I do.
  • threeonethirdsthreeonethirds Member Posts: 2
    Hey Michael,

The remapping worked fine for me today. Not sure if they patched it.
    I just tried again and even though the mapping seems to be saved (it shows the right buttons mapped to the functions as I changed them) when I play the game the default config is what I get.
  • ROCKFISH_IngmarROCKFISH_Ingmar Administrator Posts: 5
    Hey,

After some testing, I found that changes do not carry over from PC to chromecast. That was unexpected.
    But remapping did work as expected while playing on the PC.

Glad that remapping worked for you threeonthirds!

Michael you seem to have stumbled into some unlucky edge case.
    I wonder if even remapping keyboard keys isn't working for you?
    If so, I assume you had tried keybindings like ' + Alt' or something like this initially? right?

Maybe you could contact me directly ([email protected]) and let me know your Stadia name? If you are ok with this, I would like to ask google if there is any way to retrieve your config files / restore them to default.

You can also wait for our patch to come out, I am pretty confident, we can fix this.