[feedback] enjoying perks system

ZoritaZorita Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Warrior Posts: 19
Hi there !

Just a comment here to say I like the perk system instaured for this game; it's quite "classic" for some, but synergyze very well in global gameplay.

This perk system is however "strange" for me. I'll take FO4 in comparison (just talking about Perks huh, not gameplay etc) : you have access to every perk in the game, can visualize them, and conditions for unlocking them. Here, Perk table is totally invisible until you can upgrade them !

I don't want to say you could change this, actually I like this but eh, I would really like a perk list (like a wikia? haha) of current bonus we could unlock in this Alpha session :p

What are your current favorites?

What do you think about this? :)

Comments

• LiberTeaLiberTea Member, Common Alpha Backer ES1 Posts: 24
    I am not a fan of the current perk system as all the upgrades are just flat stat upgrades (small % increase are pretty dull).

About being able to see the whole perk table or not, I really don't mind. Honestly, I kinda like things to be hidden in Rogue-lite games but thats just me maybe.
  • purebuupurebuu Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 26
    I not a huge fan of the perks either. You're forced into using them to, as you said upgrade by a small % increase. But they are the least interesting part of the ship configuration system.

I'm forced to pick something just so that I have a few more health points to last a little longer next run. It makes runs turn into grinding sessions just so my ship can be a bit stronger to last better against 'sector X' enemies.

Consumables, weapons and devices are much more interesting and make more flexible types of ships. But we're forced to upgrade the perks each death and find your weapons & devices all over again.

Sure, there are things called blueprints, but you still need to collect resources to craft them and you might be at the mercy of the RNG stopping you from crafting that weapon you really want to use.
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Moderator Posts: 573
    There will also be perks that add new gameplay possibilities. The current selection of perks is just the first version and to test the system, changing values is a relatively simple thing to do. Expect more "enjoyable perks" in the future.
  • LiberTeaLiberTea Member, Common Alpha Backer ES1 Posts: 24

There will also be perks that add new gameplay possibilities. The current selection of perks is just the first version and to test the system, changing values is a relatively simple thing to do. Expect more "enjoyable perks" in the future.

While this sounds great, the perks we have at the moment (flat stat increases, if they stay in the game) will at some point either make you too strong (if you start of with "intended" strength or leave you at the point where it feels just right after you have most of the perks. This would then make you wonder why you didn't have those stats from the start.
  • YfreetYfreet Customer Posts: 9
    About Perks
    I think the system is good. I know its unfinished and all, but...
    I dont understand why do i have to upgrade a perk multiple times to get one point up. For example I have to upgrade consumable slots 4 times to get one additional slot. Do the upgrades in between do something? or WILL they do something?
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,102
    Alright, going to give my two cents which is going to sound a bit harsh at first:

Having a Perk system that works as leveling up seems counter-intuitive to the design of the overall game. The player "levels up" intrinsically by learning how to play, bettering their skills, optimizing their equipment and exploring options.

I think Perks have a grand opportunity to help the player expand upon their options and opportunities, not just bump up values.

But it sounds like that's exactly what the devs have in mind. Here's hoping for some nice, new Perks in the future!
  • JazehiahJazehiah Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 7
    The perks system is nice, but not everything feels like a perk. A perk is a subtle change that makes playing the game easier or more fun. The ability to choose an extra random piece of equipment at the start of each run? Most definitely a perk. Flat stat bonuses? Those are more about progression than anything else.

Currently I think there's a decent balance between the two, but I'd like to see more things along the lines of tweaking your initial loadout.
  • YfreetYfreet Customer Posts: 9
    Ok, forget what i said. Reading helps.
  • FuzzywuffFuzzywuff Member Posts: 2
    Yfreet said:

About Perks
    I think the system is good. I know its unfinished and all, but...
    I dont understand why do i have to upgrade a perk multiple times to get one point up. For example I have to upgrade consumable slots 4 times to get one additional slot. Do the upgrades in between do something? or WILL they do something?

The perk is split in multiple part because imagine you have 1000 credit left and the perk is 5000 cred. you cannot afford it and the money would be wasted on your next run.
    Since the perk is split in 4 different purchase, you can spend your 1000 credit on it and get the rest for later.

Otherwise, everything would be too expensive to purchase in a single run and you would be left with no option to take back the advantage.
  • BarryBarry Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 36
    Do you lose unspent credit? I presumed it just added to anything you gain from the next run.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,102
    edited October 2016
    Barry said:

Do you lose unspent credit? I presumed it just added to anything you gain from the next run.

In the current version of the game, all Credits not spent when starting a run are lost. There is a warning when starting a run that informs the player of this, as well.

There is a Perk that allows you to save up to 35% of your unspent Credits, but otherwise the game puts emphasis on spending what you earn immediately after each run.