Discussion: Weapons and Movement sharing a single resource

stoicstoic Member, Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES2 Posts: 20
Tying weapon usage together with ship movement is an interesting decision -- and I mean that in an purely neutral way without saying one way is better than the other (I would need to do some deeper play-testing to know for sure). I'm curious though if you @ROCKFISH_HCK @ROCKFISH_Andi have tried separating them and if so why you decided to use just one resource.

What does everyone else think? Do you think it would add richness and sophistication to have separate resources for boost and weapons, or would it make the game worse? Why do you think so?

Comments

• lol_hypelol_hype Member, Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES2 Posts: 42
    edited January 22
    If you look in previous threads, they have been playing with the idea of separated energy pools on a per weapon basis. I quite like the idea, gives the effect of having to "reload" each weapon.

Yeah, it's not really tweaked and balanced, yet. Differences will be more meaningful later. And you seem to have read our minds, because we started implementing suggestion 2 a few weeks ago and are currently testing/evaluating this approach

I just wonder - say you deplete one weapon, switch to another, would that first weapon recharge while not in use?
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,157
    lol_hype said:

I just wonder - say you deplete one weapon, switch to another, would that first weapon recharge while not in use?

Yup, it would
    That's fantastic. I take it this idea is still being looked into/tested?
    stoic said:

Do you think it would add richness and sophistication to have separate resources for boost and weapons, or would it make the game worse? Why do you think so?

There are seprate energy pools for weapons and boost in Everspace 2, they shared a pool in Everspace 1.

• HazzyDevilHazzyDevil Member Posts: 12
    edited January 22
    stoic said:

Tying weapon usage together with ship movement is an interesting decision -- and I mean that in an purely neutral way without saying one way is better than the other (I would need to do some deeper play-testing to know for sure). I'm curious though if you @ROCKFISH_HCK @ROCKFISH_Andi have tried separating them and if so why you decided to use just one resource.

What does everyone else think? Do you think it would add richness and sophistication to have separate resources for boost and weapons, or would it make the game worse? Why do you think so?

Single energy pool was like that in ES1 and has since been split into two pools (for now) in es2 due to many people asking for it. And it makes sense to have it split. It doesn’t help anyone to have a single pool drain faster when boosting and shooting. In fact the gameplay in es1 would either get the player boosting out of combat or sit and shoot. In a fast paced arcade shooter you’d want to have the ability to do both without having that risk of losing your energy at a quicker rate. And for those that like to sit back and shoot or those who like to simply fly in shoot and get out, they’ll be able to do so even with seperate pools. It’s a change for the better.
  • stoicstoic Member, Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES2 Posts: 20

There are seprate energy pools for weapons and boost in Everspace 2, they shared a pool in Everspace 1.

Wow, this shows how poorly I understand the UI in the game. :D I've been focusing on other issues so I've not really been able to focus on this but I am curious to see how this works as I get more into itemization.

@HazzyDevil I agree. I have thought since the moment I started E1 that the game would benefit from them split.
    stoic said:

Wow, this shows how poorly I understand the UI in the game. :D I've been focusing on other issues so I've not really been able to focus on this but I am curious to see how this works as I get more into itemization.

The whole UI/HUD has already been heavily revamped compared to the version from 6 months ago that you're playing. Eg. the health bars are now at the top left corner. Note, though, that the white bar is your weapon energy and the blue bar your boost. In the current development version they are placed to the left and right of your crosshair, very close to Everspace 1