[004] Tone down particles streaks that appear when you move

stoicstoic Member, Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES2 Posts: 20
edited January 22 in SUGGESTIONS (ES2)
Category: General
Severity: Low

I personally don't believe that the more intense particle streaks that appear when you accelerate in Everspace 2 add anything of value to the game; in fact I think they detract from it slightly. While I understand realism isn't a top goal for the game, on top of being unrealistic they simply add clutter to the screen, especially during combat, serving as more of a distraction than a feature which adds immersion.

I think the particle streaks and haziness as done in Everspace 1 were much better because they were subtle yet effective in providing movement cues. Haze was only added during boost so it was easy to tell if you were actually boosting or not, in addition to the slight camera/ship shaking that occured.
particles at normal speed
particles while boosting

Comments

• lol_hypelol_hype Member, Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES2 Posts: 47
    These will hopefully be part of the graphics settings in the future - along with camera shake
  • stoicstoic Member, Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES2 Posts: 20
    lol_hype said:

These will hopefully be part of the graphics settings in the future - along with camera shake

Having at least that option would be nice for sure, although unconventional for a change like this. Something like this seems more appropriate to just get right in the first place without the need for an option.
  • lol_hypelol_hype Member, Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES2 Posts: 47
    I don't mean there would be a "less movement particles" slider, more, the particles etc. get reduced when you say, change your graphics preset from "epic" to "medium".
  • stoicstoic Member, Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES2 Posts: 20
    @lol_hype Gotcha. In that case I'll be playing on medium then... 😭😭😭😋
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,217
    It might get toned down, our technical aritst is tweaking particles to his liking all the time, I'd say let's talk about htis during early access
  • Mordeth_KaiMordeth_Kai Member, Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES2 Posts: 11
    I would like to respectfully disagree with OP. The streaks do add value for the player experience of giving a sense of speed, like intensifying blur when using boost in a racing game. Having a toggle for it isn't a bad idea though, especially if it ends up interfering with combat where clarity is all important.