"This needs to be installed on a system drive"/"Publisher doesn't allow this app to be moved"

Hello,

When trying to install the game via the Windows 10 store, I receive an error that the game must be installed on my system drive.

After unsuccessful troubleshooting I finally gave up and installed it to my system drive figuring I could just move the app after installing but was presented with a new error.

"The publisher of this app doesn't allow it to be moved to a different location" Error code 0x80073d21.

If it matters, my license for the game is through the Xbox Games Pass subscription.

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,104Moderator
    Please have a look here (you'll also find a link which might help you move the installation):

https://forum.everspace-game.com/discussion/5103/this-needs-to-be-installed-on-a-system-drive/p1
  • ferus26ferus26 Posts: 2Member
    I am having the same issue but nothing seems to be working.
    I really can't be having any games on my system disk as it is low on space.

Why is it not possible to install the game to a different drive in the first place?

I tried to install it to a drive other than the system disk - not possible.
    I installed it to the system drive and then tried to move it to a different drive - not possible.

I would appreciate any help at this moment.
    ferus26 said:

Why is it not possible to install the game to a different drive in the first place?

We wish we were in control of the behavior and are wondering this ourselves. I guess only Microsoft can answer the question.
  • ferus26ferus26 Posts: 2Member

ferus26 said:

We wish we were in control of the behavior and are wondering this ourselves. I guess only Microsoft can answer the question.
    Right, I see.
    Well, I was under the impression that somehow it's the developer's decision since no other game in MS Store has this restriction.
    Perhaps it would be better if the developers themselves contacted Microsoft as they have more knowledge and power to do any changes.

Until then I am forced to uninstall the game as my OS drive is strictly reserved for OS.
  • wehavedoneitwehavedoneit Posts: 2Member
    Thank you for the response, Rockfish_Andi. Unfortunately the post you linked offers no solution for me. I am still being told that "The publisher of this app doesn't allow it to be moved to a different location".

Prior to installation, my default drive via windows settings was already set to my desired drive and it made no difference. I'd like to add that EVERSPACE is the only title I have ever had this experience with. Everything else via the Windows Store behaves normally.
  • andydandyd Posts: 1Member
    If I installed 8 other games via the Xbox App which had no issues with installation on a different drive (and the default is set on that same drive), why would this be an issue on Microsoft's end only? When you say this...

"I guess only Microsoft can answer the question."

Are you saying we should reach out to them to figure out an issue they are saying it's due to the publisher?
    andyd said:

If I installed 8 other games via the Xbox App which had no issues with installation on a different drive (and the default is set on that same drive), why would this be an issue on Microsoft's end only? When you say this...

"I guess only Microsoft can answer the question."

Are you saying we should reach out to them to figure out an issue they are saying it's due to the publisher?

Well, before others had mentioned it I was actually sure that it would be the same for all games and if you could not move Everspace you would not be able to move other games as well and it was what Microsoft wanted because their UWP system is quite a black box. We are all for giving full control to the player, but we have not found any option where we can allow the player to install wherever desired. The whole thing is very complicated and it gets even more complicated with the Unreal Engine wrapper around UWP. We could ask Microsoft for help, but the problem could very well be on their end and also, even if we could find a way to change the behavior, it is not likely that we are going to release a new UWP update, because it requires a lot of work and also a lengthy verification process by Microsoft.
  • ruhavingalaughruhavingalaugh Posts: 1Member
    You are literally having a laugh. Many people have a small drive for their OS only. Every single app and game that the majority of users have come across allow installations to a different drive...

Not only are you trying to palm this off to Microsoft support when it is your issue, you are stating that you are unwilling to fix your mistake for all of those people that would love to play your game but can't.

You are also stating that you are unwilling to fix this??
    Good news (despite my pessimistic assumptions): We've investigated the problem and talked to Microsoft, and it turned out that it was a Microsoft Store setting that we could change in the backend, so it had nothing to do with our actual game files and no re-build was required from our side. Mircosoft did a quick re-certification and re-publish and all of you should now be able to install the game to any drive you like.