Will a pair of Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro joysticks work with Everspace?

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu Posts: 5Member
Hello all, I come from the Descent/Overload community (enclosed, indoor 6dof). For 22 years I have been playing any spaceship game with joystick (2 joysticks since 2003). After trying many different models I have returned to the MS Sidewinder 3d Pro since nothing else is anywhere near as responsive.

I would like to know if Everspace supports this joystick, especially a pair of them. I think the game looks amazing but being able to use these joysticks is the dealbreaker. Any information would be appreciated, thank you. :)

Answers

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 953Moderator
    Hi, not sure if they will work completely. It is at least known that for some joysticks the hat switches will only work as axis, not as buttons with the joystick plugin we're using. If you're using two joysticks of the same model you will also need to use an external software like T.A.R.G.E.T to get it to work, otherwise there is no way for our plugin to differentiate between the joysticks, as the button/axis names are the same and this will lead to conflicts.

Also keep in mind that Everspace is very fast paced and probably not the best fit for joysticks, we were inspired by the mouse+kb controls of freelancer and m+kb are our recommended control method
  • YoshimitsuYoshimitsu Posts: 5Member
    Thanks very much for the reply, that gives me useful information to work with. I'm curious which joystick plugin you use if it's OK to ask? Using T.A.R.G.E.T. should be fine, but I also need to know if your plugin supports directinput? I know some only allow Xinput which blocks a huge number of sticks from working.