[Linux] Regular crashes, sound seems to be a factor

onlionli Posts: 1Member
edited July 9 in Crash Reports
Hi. Nice game, and it runs very well. But on my system it crashes/freezes completely regularly. It seems to freeze not at all - or at least way less often, there was only one game session where it crashed regardless - when music and sound is set to off. I'd love to provide you with a crash log, how would I do that? When the game freezes the music continues, but all I can do is to kill -9 it.

The game version is the current 1.3.0, I'm running Linux on a Phenom II X6 1090T with a Radeon HD 7950, using the mesa driver. No Pulseaudio, so it can't be that.

Please note that according to https://steamcommunity.com/app/396750/discussions/0/343786746011514881/?ctp=5#c1726450077688438134, a similar bug exists also under Windows.

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 947Moderator
    Hi, thanks for reporting!

Unfortunately I don't think that there's much we can do, other than probably ask Epic if they have any clue what the problem could be. Also, our Linux guy is on a long holiday, so even if we find a solution (which is very very unlikely), don't expect anything to happen soon.

Freezes are very hard to analyze, as there are no crash logs created. I'm not sure where exactly the crash and log files are located under Linux, but I guess at ~/.config/Epic/RSG/Saved/Crashes and ~/.config/Epic/RSG/Saved/Logs

A few PC users have been getting freezes in Everspace a while back (after we upgraded to Unreal Engine 4.17 or 4.18 I think) and we dug our way through this lengthy thread: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/720735/packaged-game-freezing-feventwinwaitunsigned-int-w.html where someone linked to a git repository with a fix from Epic. We integrated the fix into our Engine and it seemed to have solved the issue. It could be that this fix is missing in our Linux engine, we'll have a look when our Linux guy gets back. But I do think that it was integrated, but it's probably not the same issue that you're getting.

Regarding the sound - it could be that the sound calculations for spatialization etc. are just the one thing in addition to all the other stuff causing your system to freeze/crash because it's too much to handle. Have you ever tried playing in very low resolution and on lowest graphics settings with sound enabled? Do you get crashes/freezes then? In any case, it seems to be somehow related to your setup, as it doesn't seem to be an issue for most Linux players (I think on the steam forums there was just one other Linux player who reported the same problem)