[Solved] Linux GOG version not starting when Jack audio running

pterpter Posts: 3Member
edited June 2018 in Technical Support
I'm finding game will run, but there seems to be problem connecting to my sound system. Could use help isolating.

Running from GOG v1.2.9.35950 on Linux. Startup hangs at the splash screen shows. The three dots at bottom continue to animate. I've left if for a few hours hoping something would indicate, but no change and not finding more info. I stopped my Jack audio daemon and game will run without sound! (only started little of tutorial) Message I see to console:

4.17.2-0+++UE4+Release-4.17 513 0
Disabling core dumps.
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed
AL lib: (EE) alsa_open_playback: Could not open playback device 'default': No such file or directory

I'm unsure where to go to find more info or understand what is unhappy about how audio configuration is setup for Everspace. Other applications are working okay that use ALSA, Pulse, and Jack audio. Any recommendation to help isolate? Looking forward to playing for first time.

Comments

• pterpter Posts: 3Member
    Game is now launching. Problem isn't Jack, per se. Stopping that just allowed clue what was holding up the application launch. I learned the UneralEngine powering EVERSPACE™ is using OpenAL for sound. Updating that allows game to start with sound for me. I found the configuration file at /etc/openal/alsoft.conf. The only change required was to add pulse to the driver list:

before:
    drivers=alsa,wave,jack,
    after:
    drivers=pulse,alsa,wave,jack,
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,000Moderator
    Glad you found out what the problem was and were able to fix it on your end, thanks for letting us know!