From Fishlabs to Rockfish

JayTongJayTong Posts: 2Member
Hello Rockfish Games,
Just bought this game yesterday very fun. Gives me the GOF2 feeling.

When I first saw this game on steam I thought it looked a lot like GOF2. With some more research I learned that Everspace was made by a team that left Fishlab Games. I was wondering why this team left Fishlabs. Was it something to do with Manticore being a free-to-play, premium currency, pay to do well game or was it something else? I want to know because it is very int interesting and was excited to hear that you guys left to make your own games in Unreal Engine. : )

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited November 2017
    JayTong said:

I was wondering why this team left Fishlabs. Was it something to do with Manticore being a free-to-play, premium currency, pay to do well game...?

From the conversations I've had with the team and the interviews Michael has had, this is accurate. The team wanted to avoid the mobile business model (F2P monetization) for future games.

"The decision to move to a desktop and console game was simple; the mobile gaming market is primarily free-to-play with microtransactions and Schade and Lohr felt their new game idea was better suited for a mid-priced downloadable game for PC, Xbox One and Playstation 4. With a pay-once, play as much as you like format, they could focus on delivering a great game built on the acclaimed Unreal Engine 4 platform without bothering about ongoing retention, monetization and user acquisition."

- Source via VanillaForums
  • JayTongJayTong Posts: 2Member
    Ok
    I really respect and appreciate that the team wanted to move away from the F2P style and start making more fun games. Ok Thanks for the information!
  • ROCKFISH_MichaelROCKFISH_Michael Posts: 373Administrator
    In case you are up for more details about what happened at our previous studio and how we came up with the vision of EVERSPACE check out this in-depth pod cast with Space Game Junkies