In-game information in the files?

Grendal27Grendal27 Posts: 32Member
Hello,
Is there any way to access in-game resources like the codex and various images through the files? I poked around a bit, but I couldn't find anything (other than the flashback movies). It'd be very useful for working on the wiki.
The most promising files were in the EVERSPACE\Engine\Content\Internationalization\icudt53l, but I wasn't sure what they were and I don't know how to access those files anyway.

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 982Moderator
    I don't think you access any relevant files - they are all stored and encrypted by unreal in .pak files.
  • Grendal27Grendal27 Posts: 32Member
    Aw alright. Thanks
    Update on this- I can use a program called UE Viewer to look at some of the stuff in the .pak files, but nothing too useful for the wiki. It can only see some of the meshes/images, not stuff like audio and other things (which would be pretty useful), sadly.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,094Moderator, Space Cat
    edited September 2017
    From my experience as a Wikia Admin for FTL, we had to get full permissions from the developers (Subset Games) in order to use encrypted files. Not because it was hard, but for legal reasons because it's the raw intellectual property being taken and used. It's kind of crazy how the legal aspects change based on if it's a screenshot from playing, or an independent asset considered the author's work pulled from an encrypted file. This can also vary depending which wiki site is cataloging the information, but it mainly comes down to the developers.

Overall, screenshots are the best way to populate a game wiki. Otherwise, it's not a bad idea to ask the devs via email or private DM for other desired assets, like specific meches, overlays, sound effects, etc. That's how we ended up adding more content on the FTL Wikia, at least. (I don't know if ROCKFISH Games has actually given full permission of assets on the wiki, which is the only reason why I'm mentioning these details.)
    Ah. I probably won't use that program anymore then. I doubt I could have anyway (in terms of getting info). Don't want to get into anything legal either :P. Thanks!