Feedback about Hardcore mode

RattiputzRattiputz Posts: 26Common Beta Backer, Customer
Hello everyone! First of all I really like the core idea of the new hardcore mode (to the point where I don't think I'll be playing normal mode again), as IMO it should be the standard way to experience Everspace. However I have not come very far yet, which brings me to my first question: is the story implemented into hardcore? It would be a shame if it wasn't...
Also a thing that bothers me a little bit, the blueprints seem to be unlocked. Is that supposed to be? I can understand that this allows for "perfect" runs, but kills the fun for me a little. I would argue that it makes this mode more repetitive because you can try to go for the same wepons that work for you each run. What do you think?

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    The story has been disabled in Hardcore Mode intentionally, and all blueprints are unlocked in order to give players the maximum benefit of exploration. In fact, extracting resources is one of the most important elements of Hardcore Mode in order to succeed in this regard.

Because the Perks are reset every run, I think there is a balance with having full crafting abilities. This becomes especially true in managing energy conservation.

If every run started without blueprints in Hardcore Mode, I don't think the crafting system would be used hardly at all (except for repairing). There would need to be something else changed about the core gameplay loop of Hardcore, and I think it would be difficult to implement.
  • RattiputzRattiputz Posts: 26Common Beta Backer, Customer
    I see, I overlooked the fact that perks reset after each run... I thought that they didn't reset and that only if you reached the next sector you could spend your money: this would actually allow to implement story and blueprints while still having a harder time completing each run.
    Note however that this is the core issue I have with normal mode (also minor spoilers here!): I don't feel the need to complete a run/go to the end of a sector. DNA fragments should encourage you to reach the last sector, but why bother? You could end your run, get better pearks and try again. The same goes with the end of an sector: at least having to reach the end of a sector would put you under pressure to spend your money, and you would be equipped a little better for a more challenging experience. It would also fix the perk system issue where you only need more money to get better skills. What if you had to complete two sectors without spending money to purchase a more expensive perk?
    Anyways, these are only suggestions which came to my mind playing hardcore mode, maybe there are a few interesting ones which could improve the player experience (or maybe not ;) ).

Greetings,
    Rattiputz
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    Your feedback is very important to us so thank you for taking the time to respond. ;-)

I'm not sure the main story loop and the perk progression is going to see much of any adjustments for the future (except for balancing purposes), but your thoughts are appreciated. This is definitely an interesting way to go about progression.