Game progress wiped!

Hi,

I loaded up Everspace again today and got dropped into the tutorial. Seems like for some reason my save file got overwritten, and since it's synced to Steam the 30-odd runs I finished are gone. I saved and exited as usual last time I played, and waited for the new system to load in before I quit.

I really have no desire to play through everything all over again. I'm not super bothered about my play stats, and if I have to play through the storyline again that isn't the end of the world. Definitely not up for grinding out all the upgrades and glyphs, though. How can I edit the save file to regain my progress?

From what I've seen online I'm not the only person who's had this problem. With all respect, it's not okay to sell a game where the entire progress can get wiped for no reason, even if it's rare. It may well be a problem with Steam, but since you know it's happening it's important that you address it, even if all that can be done is to edit the save files.

Thanks,

Ben

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,096Moderator, Space Cat
    Hey Ben, sorry this happened to you, thank you for the report.

The devs found out what was causing the issue and have addressed it, which will be facilitated in an update within the next week or two.

The good news is that this is a very rare situation to happen to individuals, but the bad news is that it can happen at all. The team has taken this issue very seriously so please know the fix will be implemented very soon.
  • ben1991ben1991 Posts: 9Member
    OK, glad to hear it's been resolved. I assume this won't bring back my old file, though - how can I tweak my current "fresh" save file to regain my perks/unlocks?
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 562Moderator
    There is a backup savegame in your USER\AppData\Local\RSG\Saved\SaveGames directory. My guess is that it has already been overwritten with your new progress but you can try to rename it anyway. Give it a try. The next update will only write backup savegames after the tutorial has been finished so if your progress is wiped and you see the game starting the tutorial again you should be able to recover your old save.

Sorry for the crash and wipe. We still don't really know why this is happening.
    Yes indeed, that savegame has been overwritten by Steam. Like I say, I'm glad to hear that this fix has been addressed (at least partially) but it's tough to start all the way from the beginning again - sucks a lot of the fun out of progression.

It seems like I would be able to edit the .SAV file and get *some* of my progress back - any suggestions for how to do so? I've opened the file in Notepad and it's not clear what I would need to alter.
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 562Moderator
    Sorry, we never edited the savefiles ourselves. But I can imagine that you will find instructions if you search for it.
    Alright, so I've used Cheat Engine to add back in enough money to regain lost upgrades.

Real shame to be set back 40h of play though!