Drone carriers are really difficult to kill in full version (Normal difficulty).

ForavenForaven Posts: 121Member
Fought a few of them in my last few runs and one thing i noticed is they are much tougher than in beta. Killing all it's drones before new ones appear is a race against the clock, but now the carrier itself has a lot of health meaning we need to bring down the shield multiple times to kill it. In comparaison, the Frigate is fairly easy to deal with since we can always damage it and there are plenty of weak points to abuse of. Not true for the carrier. Also noticed Okkars and G&Bs have a hard time killing one, even when there is a whole squadron of them trying to take it down. My last run ended early due to one carrier (with jammer) i wasn't able to kill before the whole Okkar fleet was on me.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    I actually agree that the Drone Carrier is possibly the hardest miniboss in the game, largely due to it requiring taking out the individual Drones in a timely manner. Before the shield even comes down, I feel like the Carrier spawns new drones fairly quickly to replenish the ones it lost.

Furthermore, the vessel gains invulnerability before it's super shield comes back up for about a second, making the timings a little tricky.

@ROCKFISH_Andi do you know if it should have that invincibility before the shield comes back? I know it used to be opposite (when shield was taken down, it would have extra invincibility for a second or two). Seems like the visual isn't synced with the state of the Carrier.
  • arowzarowz Posts: 5Member
    I agree with OP. The drone carrier is annoyingly difficult to deal with, especially with a lower energy ship. I find beam laser to be the easiest way to get the drones, but given that the drones pop out under the shield and the laser tends to lock onto the shielded ship sometimes no matter what I have targeted, energy over-use is abundant. This means that if I do manage to drop all the drones, I don't have much left in the tank to do meaningful damage to the carrier. Missiles, given their lowish velocity, also have a difficult time reaching their target before the shield re-engages.

Forget G&B etc. help. I don't think they have the intelligence to focus on drones first and then the ship. I feel like they waste a lot on the shield, giving the drones time to come back.

Also, losing all my drones is tough. The anti-missle drone it takes isn't cheap. I need to destroy it (not recall it since that's not an option) each time a drone carrier appears or my missiles will be useless against the thing. Honestly the chance of a drone carrier being in a system causes me to never use any drone but a single anti-missile drone.

Suggestions: 1. longer down time on the shield, 2. The shield does not come back up until the link drones are all active and outside of the shield range, 3. my own drones simply shut off and go idle instead of being controlled, 4. remove the possibility that suppressors can be on the carrier or allow the suppressor to be targeted even if the shield is up (ie it protrudes through the carrier to allow hacking).
    edited June 2017
    arowz said:

Also, losing all my drones is tough. The anti-missle drone it takes isn't cheap. I need to destroy it (not recall it since that's not an option) each time a drone carrier appears or my missiles will be useless against the thing. Honestly the chance of a drone carrier being in a system causes me to never use any drone but a single anti-missile drone.

This is an unfortunate mindset to fall into when encountering Drone Carriers, but it does make sense. It's hard to come up with a solution to this, without revamping the Drone system I think. I've heard it somewhere else about a Drone Tab, where you could manage which drones are out, their health, even repair them with nanobots, and also recall them (which would need a cooldown mechanic, else this could get abused I think).

I know it would be a bit of work to add a new Drone-specific tab to manage them, but it would be a powerful tool ESPECIALLY for the Gunship. I'm curious what the dev team thinks of this one; hopefully they find their way here. :smiley:
  • HunmonHunmon Posts: 5Member
    edited June 2017
    Craft the time slowing module and activate it when you go for the last few drones. It will give you enough time to focus them down and then launch a bunch of rockets at the carrier itself. For example 15 light missiles are out in a blink and should be enough. Also they are very cheap to craft.

Usually i destroy the carrier in the first phase before it ever recovers its shields (on normal difficulty).
    Without other fighters supporting them they are not that hard to handle. Dont become desperate ;)

Alternative: Ancient Weapon Rune + time slowing
  • invenioinvenio Posts: 108Member
    Also what makes it harder is that if the drone is close to the ship, the weapons will lock onto the ship instead of the drone. You literally have to position yourself to make sure the drones are relatively far away from the carrier ship or you just end up wasting your shots on the invincible carrier ship.

It would be great if the weapons did not lock onto the carrier until all the shield drones are destroyed. This would make clearing the drones easier. Also, what's the point of locking weapons onto a target that can not be damaged?
  • ForavenForaven Posts: 121Member
    Hunmon said:

Craft the time slowing module and activate it when you go for the last few drones. It will give you enough time to focus them down and then launch a bunch of rockets at the carrier itself. For example 15 light missiles are out in a blink and should be enough. Also they are very cheap to craft.

Usually i destroy the carrier in the first phase before it ever recovers its shields (on normal difficulty).
    Without other fighters supporting them they are not that hard to handle. Dont become desperate ;)

Alternative: Ancient Weapon Rune + time slowing

During the beta i used to kill them with ease, rarely had to drop the shield more than once or twice to kill it. But since the release it's health has increased by a lot, making it next to impossible to destroy one without committing a lot of firepower and time.
  • THEWOMPTHEWOMP Posts: 9Member
    interceptor loadout 2 seems to do it for me - beam the drones, plasma and corrosive missile on the carrier, energy injector if you need. and yeah the shield down-time seems to depend on how quickly the drones are taken out, is anyone else finding that ? i agree though, much harder
    It's more than possible overcoming the Drone Carrier. I think the points of discussion are less about strategies against it and more about what could make it less tedious (and more fun). :smiley:

In what ways do you all think the Drone Carrier could be changed that would make challenging this ship more enjoyable to engage?
  • invenioinvenio Posts: 108Member

It's more than possible overcoming the Drone Carrier. I think the points of discussion are less about strategies against it and more about what could make it less tedious (and more fun). :smiley:

In what ways do you all think the Drone Carrier could be changed that would make challenging this ship more enjoyable to engage?

Maybe just take the "auto respawn timer" out of the equation. Once you destroy all the drones, you get X seconds of shield downtime. No auto respawn of drones while you are working on killing the ones already present. It's not that the drone carriers are bad, it's just that they should not be the hardest enemy in the game.
    One thing that could make it less tedious would be hardpoints we could blow up to reduce the number of drones spawns or prevent it to raise back it's invulnerability shield. Lowering it's health/armor level would also help, and making Okkars and G&Bs more capable of taking them out would also help.
  • Mr. MagniloquentMr. Magniloquent Posts: 20Member
    I don't find drone carriers to be a problem. Much easier than Corvette Mk 1 for sure. You have to mind your weapons and watch your six. Weapons with slow velocity, like Gatling, Fusion Blaster, or Pulse Laser I are going to be extremely difficult. Any other weapon, particularly flak cannons are coil guns make very short work of the drones and the carrier itself.

It's important to keep the furthest distance possible while still provoking it to deploy its drones. If you get to close, you'll get swarmed. You spend too much time orienting your ship and can't take out the drones quickly enough to be meaningful. Also, this is a time when secondary weapons shine. Use your primary fire for the drones, then let loose with missiles when the shields are down. You'll conserve more energy, allowing you to maximize your drone killing.
    edited June 2017

I don't find drone carriers to be a problem. Much easier than Corvette Mk 1 for sure. You have to mind your weapons and watch your six. Weapons with slow velocity, like Gatling, Fusion Blaster, or Pulse Laser I are going to be extremely difficult. Any other weapon, particularly flak cannons are coil guns make very short work of the drones and the carrier itself.

Corvette Mk1 are stupidly easy to kill, if you have fusion blasters or torpedoes you can easily overpower it, and corrosive missiles completely ignore it's shields. Carriers are much more difficult due to having to kill it's drones rapidly then hurry up an attack on the carrier itself before the shield comes back. Somehow they increased the carrier's health in release so we have to do this multiple times now. At least that is my experience playing the PC version of Everspace.
  • FirunFirun Posts: 13Member
    edited June 2017
    That being said since release they seem to always get sucked into black holes eventually (provided that one is present). Might want to look at that? Easiest "lure into black hole" challenge ever. They're also simply way too slow to escape the black hole.

EDIT: Oh, and light missiles are cheap for a reason. One of them pops a link drone. It's how I do it when I'm lazy.
  • rayriflepierayriflepie Posts: 6Member
    If you don't have a Ancient Weapon, I suggest luring the Drone Carrier into a black hole. It's very satisfying! If there is no black hole, activate a G&B Distress Beacon, and they will help you out.
  • rvbartonrvbarton Posts: 2Member
    I was killing the drone carriers quite well last night. Using the scout, I'd hang far enough back where I can kill all drones at launch with the beam weapon. easy to switch targets from a distance. Once the shield is down, I'd pelt it with heavy missiles.

Not the easiest strategy I'm sure, as you will have to have the heavy missile blueprint, along with materials to craft additional heavy missiles, but it was working well for me yesterday. I got the carrier down to a sliver of health, when G&B warped in to assist me. Typical contractors, waiting until the last possible second before showing up for work and then trying to take all of the credit!
  • ES_9580ES_9580 Posts: 1Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    last round I have a full weapon set hardly kill drone fast enough,
    and I don't wanna switch my weapon set,

so I just wait for the Okkar come, lead the them to drone carrier,
    keep a safe distance until they finish the fight so I can leave.