Backtracking

XommeriaXommeria Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Booster Posts: 11
I've noticed that you can only move forward when moving across a sector. Since this is a rogue-like, shouldn't there be an option for us to go back to previous systems and through there go to other systems we didn't go to--when we took one particular path? Unless this is already in the works, and just didn't make it into the first alpha build that got released to the backers. In which case, please disregard.

Comments

• Apollo6124Apollo6124 Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Rogue Posts: 10
    Not being able to go back is part of the game mechanics, hence rogue-LIKE. I don't think it's ever been the devs intention to make and Elite:Dangerous clone. I agree that it seems weird, but I assume as the story is added, it will explain why we have to keep moving, and keep moving forward.
  • MrWoodchipMrWoodchip Common Alpha Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 53

Not being able to go back is part of the game mechanics, hence rogue-LIKE. I don't think it's ever been the devs intention to make and Elite:Dangerous clone. I agree that it seems weird, but I assume as the story is added, it will explain why we have to keep moving, and keep moving forward.

Technically that would make it a rogue-lite. Rogue-like as a genre means like the game Rogue, and such, NetHack, Angband, and other games which defined the genre are all rogue-likes and all have backtracking, never charging ahead, and generally cheeseballing as much as possible as effective, or even the best, strategies.
  • VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 107
    The reasoning for no back tracking is look at it in the same vein as the game FTL, we are on the run from the alien Interceptors, the fighters that soften you up for the 2 battleships.
  • humanevilhumanevil Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 98
    i dunno if back tracking would be a good idea or not but i guess the question is would it really detract from the core gameplay element (rogue-like) if you could back track within each sector and not between sectors? i would be happy if they added it in but at the risk of intercepters showing up quicker once you exceed the amount of jumps you should do to get out of said sector.
  • Grumpy SamGrumpy Sam Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 13
    FYI you can backtrack in FTL, but you risk being caught by the rebel fleet if you plan it badly. It makes gameplay interesting when you try to visit as many points in the sector as possible, without being caught by the rebel fleet, or running out of fuel.