Crash on Startup

ES_665ES_665 Kickstarter Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 1
Was playing the game yesterday successfully for about 4 hours. Stopped playing, shutdown the PC overnight, and when I booted up I began playing again. This time, however, I wanted to play via Steam Link (thus it was setup via PC-to-Steam Link streaming in Steam Big Picture mode). It crashed to desktop, giving a UE4 Crash Report. I don't know if any of this is relevant, though.

I've since installed/uninstalled the UE4 Preqs redist that was included, updated my NVIDIA drivers, restarted PC. I keep Windows up-to-date already.

A note about the error: "D:/" techically doesn't exist, it's a "System Reserved" partition with 67MB of free space. I've never seen an error log using a a "System Reserved" partition before, so it was curious to me.

Error Log
MachineId:456CBD8F40C8A2FBCB317F87BDAF9EE7
EpicAccountId:

LowLevelFatalError [File:D:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.14+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 288]
Direct3DDevice->CreateTexture2D(TextureDesc,SubResourceData,OutTexture2D) failed
at D:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.14+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Texture.cpp:434
with error E_INVALIDARG,
Size=65536x1604x1 Format=(0x0000002C), NumMips=1, Flags=D3D11_BIND_DEPTH_STENCIL D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE

RSG_Win64_Shipping!FDebug::AssertFailed()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!VerifyD3D11CreateTextureResult()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FD3D11DynamicRHI::CreateD3D11Texture2D()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FD3D11DynamicRHI::RHICreateTexture2D()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FDynamicRHI::RHICreateTexture2D_RenderThread()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!RHICreateTargetableShaderResource2D()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FRenderTargetPool::FindFreeElement()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FSceneRenderTargets::AllocateCommonDepthTargets()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FSceneRenderTargets::AllocateDeferredShadingPathRenderTargets()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::Render()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FRelevancePacket::RenderThreadFinalize()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!TGraphTask<`FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamily'::`14'::EURCMacro_FDrawSceneCommand>::ExecuteTask()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!RenderingThreadMain()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FRenderingThread::Run()
RSG_Win64_Shipping!FRunnableThreadWin::Run()

Here is the full crash logs and my dxdiag
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/088f3oeihlud8fj/AADVznQRgchuIa_OuxIXZVdUa?dl=0

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,180
    Thanks for reporting and uploading the files - we'll have a look!
  • DreamReaverDreamReaver Member Posts: 2
    I am having the exact same problem now. How can i solve it please?
  • PedalToTheMetalPedalToTheMetal Member Posts: 149
    ES_665 said:

This time, however, I wanted to play via Steam Link (thus it was setup via PC-to-Steam Link streaming in Steam Big Picture mode).

Steam is the most likely cause. Should you look closely, the engine crashes upon trying to create a depth/stencil buffer a size of the screen, which is, surprisingly, 65536x1604 (which is prohibited by the DX11 API that doesn't allow texture sizes above 16384, nor actually sane anyway). So, just do not use Steam link until Valve finally gets it to work :smile: By the way, NVidia has it's own solution for this, so you can use one instead.
  • DreamReaverDreamReaver Member Posts: 2
    Got it fixed by installing the latest Nvidia drivers. Thanks for your help and response. Merry Christmas!