Lets Talk About Post 1.0 and Sensors/Exploration

LifecompleterLifecompleter Posts: 12Common Backer, Customer
edited June 2017 in COMMUNITY
I really enjoyed the game pre-launch and then post-launch I just couldn't get back into the game and didn't know why. Then today I just watched Totalbiscut's WT* is...Everspace and that was when it struck me. With the reliance of sensors to find loot and resources (especially for a new player unfamiliar with loot spawn locations) you guys never should have gotten rid of scanning probes. I understood your reasoning is that you didn't want it to be a "must craft" consumable, but now that you can't use scanners it really slows down the exploration in a bad way. This is a big criticism of the game that I've seen multiple people point out.

So my suggestion is to bring back scanning probes as a consumable like nano bots. This way it doesn't take up any module slots, can't be crafted, is still limited resource, but will require a bit of combat/exploration to replenish them.

As I was typing this I was gonna suggest a comm hub in every sector but that seemed like it would become rather repetitive and boring if you entered every sector with the mindset of "time to find that comm hub before I do anything"

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,096Moderator, Space Cat
    edited June 2017

As I was typing this I was gonna suggest a comm hub in every sector but that seemed like it would become rather repetitive and boring if you entered every sector with the mindset of "time to find that comm hub before I do anything"

Replace "find that comm hub" with "craft that Scanning Probe." That was the problem with them.

Scanning Probes did not provide exploration, they provided an instant find-all, REMOVING exploration. There was no need to explore that mysterious wreck, or dive into that strange asteroid. It was just, "oh there's nothing over there, oh it's all over here." You followed the dots, then went to the next location.

You weren't allowed to explore, you were sent on a tour to hit all the sights. That was damaging to the Everspace experience, almost removing exploration entirely. Scanning Probes were necessary to be removed to bring this mechanic back.

Additionally, their removal has given a lot more value to players who wish to put more emphasis in exploration by crafting Sensor Drones, Sensor Relays and finding Comm Hubs.

Furthermore, if you absolutely want to see everything in each area, there is a powerful Perk called Sensory Overload that reveals everything on the map, but it'll cost you your enemy's ship information to have this active.