Why is there no ui indicator that you can swap actives/consumables?

VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Posts: 107Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
Seriously, did nobody ever point this out? How did this get released with with such an unintuitive ui in some respects? You have button prompts for activating things but nothing to show to swap, instead the player must look at the controls in order to see something that should just be on the screen anyway.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited June 2017
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't swapping one of the options when picking up loot?

Unless you're talking about swapping the positioning of the equipment from the TAB menu? In which case I think that might be a redundant process since you can select any item from the inventory screen OR by holding down the respective number in-game to directly select what you need.

It would be nice to move equipment around to different slots, but it's certainly not hurting the game. I'm sure there's room for improving the UI. Do you have any suggestions?
  • OshirigamiOshirigami Posts: 21Member
    I think OP means that the tutorial teaches you how to swap primary weapons, but not that you can press/hold 3 and 4 for changing equipment and consumables.

It actually took me a few runs to figure out this myself...
  • ES_145ES_145 Posts: 8Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
    I think that the real problem is that you do not know IF you can swap them or not, meaning if you have more than one option or not. Sometimes I press 3 and 4 just to find out if I have other options or not. There should definitely be an indicator that you have other available items to switch to.
    ES_145 said:

I think that the real problem is that you do not know IF you can swap them or not, meaning if you have more than one option or not. Sometimes I press 3 and 4 just to find out if I have other options or not. There should definitely be an indicator that you have other available items to switch to.

Perhaps the dots from the equipment screen could be echoed on the HUD?
    Or smaller icons listed beneath the active one for what you can cycle to.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,100Moderator
    I don't think every UI element needs a button next to it - especially since 1,2,3,4 is pretty easy to memorize once you've went through the tutorial - we also don't want the Ui to be too cluttered, especially considering the basic gameplay is not too complicated - the smaller Icon might be useful, though - I'll discuss it with the team
    edited June 2017

the smaller Icon might be useful, though - I'll discuss it with the team

I really like this idea, truly. This is the kind of conveyance that could bridge the player's understanding with their options, and as such, make micro-management of Weapons/Devices/Consumables easier.

ADDITIONALLY, it would be great to see non-selected Device's cooldown status.
    Yeah, and I also often run into the situation where I don't know how many times I need to hit 3 to get the device I want. I've made more of a habit of holding the number for the pause to select the one I want... but it's something I've had to force myself to do that I don't really want to. If it showed the icons of what comes next, it would be easier to know how many taps I need instead