A "target nearest hostile" button would be nice to have.

DefiantSoulDefiantSoul Posts: 15Member
My previous post on this vanished somehow, so here's another.

As the title says, a classic space sim button for targeting the nearest hostile would be very helpful. Having to spin around and around putting the reticle over every contact to find the closest one gets a little old. This would greatly aid in threat assessment.

Simply hitting the target button with nothing under merely selects the target visibly closest to the reticle, regardless of distance or hostilities.

Comments

• OshirigamiOshirigami Posts: 21Member
    It does auto target to when you hit them.

I haven't felt a need for this, but it wouldn't hurt to have.
  • ES_145ES_145 Posts: 8Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
    Actually this is one of the most important features that is missing. I absolutely hate the fact that I have to circle every single enemy when entering a new level, just to make sure that they are far enough.

Even worse, when closing on group of enemies and I have one of them in focus, by the time that I get close enough there is already another which is closer to me. Even in that situation I have to constantly point at the enemies to find out which one is now closer.

Absolutely terrible!
  • DefiantSoulDefiantSoul Posts: 15Member
    edited June 6

It does auto target to when you hit them.

I haven't felt a need for this, but it wouldn't hurt to have.

I'm not sure how this is relevant. I don't have a problem targeting what I'm looking at. I'm talking about targeting the nearest hostile regardless of its orientation to me or my reticle, so I don't have to look at every single contact in the area just to find the closest one. Just like every other space sim has.
  • fourrierfourrier Posts: 3Member
    I think the best would be "Target lowest health in range."

"Lowest health" is determined by the lowest amount of time required from your currently equipped weapon to deplete both their shield and hull

"In range" is determined by your weapon range.

This way, upon pressing this button you should be able to auto target drones/swarm fighter most of the time.
    Having to whip around in circles and put my reticle on every enemy to find the most pressing threat is kind of annoying, to be honest. Can we get a classic, long time space sim stand-by target nearest hostile button, please?
  • ben1991ben1991 Posts: 9Member
    Yes, please, I think this is vital. Flailing around looking for the webber that's grabbed you is 100% not fun, because it's difficult simply because you can't target the -BEEP- thing.
  • randy.mollerrandy.moller Posts: 4Member
    How about adding it as an weapon upgrade feature, or one of the standard features on the enhanced weapons? Just a thought!
  • Grendal27Grendal27 Posts: 29Member
    Bumping for being a very good idea.
  • mirthilonmirthilon Posts: 7Member
    edited September 6
    I believe the hotkey you're looking for is "T". You're welcome ;)
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,061Moderator, Space Cat
    ES_145 said:

Actually this is one of the most important features that is missing. I absolutely hate the fact that I have to circle every single enemy when entering a new level, just to make sure that they are far enough.

Even worse, when closing on group of enemies and I have one of them in focus, by the time that I get close enough there is already another which is closer to me. Even in that situation I have to constantly point at the enemies to find out which one is now closer.

I don't think it's bad game design that the player must locate and observe their opponents to know how close or far they are from them, but I do see your overarching point of being able to see the nearest at any given time.

Pressing T (as @mirthilon said) or the middle mouse button will lock onto EITHER the nearest target to the ship OR the closest enemy to your targeting reticle if they're near it as well. Furthermore, be watching for extra indicators for Drones hindering your ship; they're marked on the radar.
    mirthilon said:

I believe the hotkey you're looking for is "T". You're welcome ;)

This was addressed in the innitial post. T or MMB simply selects the target phisically closest to the targeting reticle, regardless of distance or hostilities. It is NOT a target nearest hostile button.
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 533Moderator
    We will think about adding a "target nearest hostile" hotkey.

We will think about adding a "target nearest hostile" hotkey.

Thank you!
  • SpudankySpudanky Posts: 4Member
    Another vote for a “target nearest hostile” feature. It’s classic to the genre that EVERSPACE draws from, but more importantly it would add to the functionality and fluidity of gameplay. I wouldn’t need to use it all the time, but there are plenty of key moments, like quickly targeting the closest drone which was mentioned, or knowing right away the closest group of enemies when planning an attack.
    This is already implemented in the current windows and linux version. It's not bound by default but you can assign a key to the action in the options menu.
  • EldragonEldragon Posts: 6Member
    Can somewhere clue me in to where in the options menu the target nearest hostile button is? I couldn't find it.
    edited November 14
    Oh, I just realized that we implemented the feature but didn't add it to the key binding system. Will be fixed in one of the next updates.

Edit: You can add that feature by editing the GameUserSettings.ini in your C:\Users\USERl\AppData\Local\RSG\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor folder. Search for "SetLockedTarget" and you will find three lines that start with "KeybindingsConfig=". Insert the following three lines after those three lines:

KeybindingsConfig=(ActionName="SetLockedTargetNearestHostile",AxisName="",Category=1,bIsAxis=False,Key1=X,Key1Mod=None,Key2=None,Key2Mod=None,DefaultKey1=X,DefaultKey1Mod=None,DefaultKey2=None,DefaultKey2Mod=None,Scale=0.000000,DeadZone=0.000000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False,DisplayName=NSLOCTEXT("KEY_BINDINGS", "KEYS_LOCK_NEAREST_HOSTILE", "Lock nearest hostile"),GroupName="Keyboard")
    KeybindingsConfig=(ActionName="SetLockedTargetNearestHostile",AxisName="",Category=1,bIsAxis=False,Key1=None,Key1Mod=None,Key2=None,Key2Mod=None,DefaultKey1=None,DefaultKey1Mod=None,DefaultKey2=None,DefaultKey2Mod=None,Scale=0.000000,DeadZone=0.000000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False,DisplayName=NSLOCTEXT("KEY_BINDINGS", "KEYS_LOCK_NEAREST_HOSTILE", "Lock nearest hostile"),GroupName="Gamepad")
    KeybindingsConfig=(ActionName="SetLockedTargetNearestHostile",AxisName="",Category=1,bIsAxis=False,Key1=None,Key1Mod=None,Key2=None,Key2Mod=None,DefaultKey1=None,DefaultKey1Mod=None,DefaultKey2=None,DefaultKey2Mod=None,Scale=0.000000,DeadZone=0.000000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False,DisplayName=NSLOCTEXT("KEY_BINDINGS", "KEYS_LOCK_NEAREST_HOSTILE", "Lock nearest hostile"),GroupName="Joystick")

Then, start the game and enter the keybindings menu. It should be right there after the "Lock target" entry. Assign a key, apply and try it out.
  • EldragonEldragon Posts: 6Member
    Awesome thanks!