Crashgame and Driver Install: Save Game Lost Twice

F16h73RF16h73R Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 5
Hey guys,
i spent quite some time playing your game now. And its great, i love it.

On the downside a few days ago my .exe crashed (stopped workiing) and afterwards my whole save file was gone. Couldnt find any way to recover my progress so i started all over again.

Yesterday i uninstalled my geforce drivers and updated it to latest version -> Save game lost again!

Now im scared to touch Everspace until you can implement a "safe" way to save our files (maybe steam online bound or sth like that)

Well this is a report overall. Pls do sth about it.
And keep going, its a great pleasure to follow you all this time.

PS: My english isnt that good. For further information i can give you more details in german.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited May 2017
    This seems to be a very rare issue, but it has happened to a couple people from time to time.

There isn't any way to get back the files you've lost, but there may be a way to "backup" your save files for future runs. More details from this thread:

You can find save game files here: C:\Users\{YOUR_USERNAME}\AppData\Local\RSG\Saved\SaveGames. The CurrentPlayerSave.sav is the overall progression, the CurrentRunSave.sav your current run. It might be wise to make a backup of these every now and then - best every time you return to the hangar.

Please note that, while this is a workaround, the dev team will respond if they can figure out a proper fix. Thank you for your report.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,317
    Sorry to hear that - we have no idea how this can happen. We're not doing anything special with loading/saving, we just use the standard Unreal Engine functionality. I think that the save files get corrupted if there's a crash while writing (normally this should not happen - no idea why it apparently does). And by the way, we're using steam cloud saves - but it looks like this is not helping at all in this case.

Did you get any messages when the game crashed?
  • F16h73RF16h73R Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 5
    Well yes, there was the message that RSG-win24....exe stopped working when the game crashed.
    There was no message however when i un- and reinstalled my graphic drivers (Obv. cause it wasnt related to the game). Still the file was missing again.
    Well this is a good work-around, its just tidious work :/
    Anyway i hope i could help :)
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Moderator Posts: 579
    I've imiplemented a backup system so the savegame is first written to the backup file and only if it succeeds the real file is overwritten. This way if the game crashes while writing the backup file the original file is not touched and if it crashes while writing the original file you should always have your backup file which was written before.

This won't be live with the update today but the one after that. It's not an ideal solution but I hope will prevent the complete loss of data.
  • F16h73RF16h73R Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 5
    Wow great work ;). Btw i wasnt able to not touch EVERSPACE like i said, so i spent 2 full runs again :D
    Today i saw a crash report for the first time:

MachineId:F83551104E1750C7A15FA4A599AC6962
    EpicAccountId:

LowLevelFatalError [File:D:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.14+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\MallocBinned2.cpp] [Line: 1023]
    FMallocBinned2 Attempt to realloc an unrecognized block 0000000064390000 canary == 0x1c != 0xe3

RSG_Win64_Shipping!FDebug::AssertFailed()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!FMallocBinned2::FFreeBlock::CanaryFail()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!FMallocBinned2::FreeExternal()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!FMemory::Free()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!FPackageName::IsValidLongPackageName()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!FPackageName::DoesPackageExist()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!ULevelStreaming::RequestLevel()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!UWorld::UpdateLevelStreamingInner()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!UWorld::UpdateLevelStreaming()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!UGameViewportClient::Draw()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!FViewport::Draw()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!UGameEngine::RedrawViewports()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!UEngine::LoadMap()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!UEngine::Browse()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!UEngine::TickWorldTravel()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!UGameEngine::Tick()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!FEngineLoop::Tick()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!GuardedMain()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!GuardedMainWrapper()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!WinMain()
    RSG_Win64_Shipping!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:253]
    kernel32
    ntdll