Help me out to figure how to play properly

ES_145ES_145 Posts: 8Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
Hello everyone,
I played the game over the weekend but it seems to me that I am missing something because after 20 deaths I am still at Sector 1.

Here are some questions:

1. Do I always go back to Sector 1 after death and if so, how exactly can you progress past sector 2 or 3 if the nano bots are in such small quantities that it is virtually impossible to repair your ship?

2. By the time that I get any resources to upgrade a weapon, I am basically at 20% or less health so it seems that any upgrades are more or less useless since I can't really use them for long. Does that mean that I have to try and build any blueprints available to me at first?

3. I have sometimes more than one item in my usable slots but they won't change when I try to cycle them, why is that?

4. Am I supposed to kill the enemies or avoid them? As I said previously the damage that I take is significant and there are no bots almost anywhere. By the time that I reach Sector 2 I am pretty much almost dead so I can never go past it. Is there any other way to repair your ship (I am using the heavy one atm)?

5. I have to hover over each and every enemy on the map to figure out which one is the nearest to me in order to engage him first. How do you do that and why I don't have the option to target nearest enemy? This is extremely bad design!

6. How are you supposed to play each map? I look at all the resources that I can see when I enter the map and go on gathering them. I kill each enemy I see and after that I move to the next one. If there is some kind of wreck or structure I try to go there and look around it for items. Is there something else that you can do?

It certainly feels like the only way to reach Sector 3 is to go for the jump immediately after entering each map, I really can't see any other way to do this if I am not able to repair my ship.

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• krisvdvijverkrisvdvijver Posts: 1Member
    I'd love to see the answers to these questions, I'm struggling with most of them as well...
  • invenioinvenio Posts: 108Member
    1) If you die, it's game over and you can start a new game and start at sector 1 (unless you have the glyph that starts you at sector 2). You progress by aiming the crosshairs in the direction of the warp icon and letting it power up to 100%. On the last area of each sector, there is a warp gate. All you need to do is fly into the middle and wait for the warp to power up.

2) I think the problem is that you are only in Sector 1. You are only like 1/10th of the way through. I usually find that I am able to pretty much build or get any component around Sector 4 or so. You slowly accumulate items and find better gear as you go along. You are still really early on in the game and typically don't do too much upgrading in the first sector.

3) Not sure, they should be able to be cycled. You can always use an item directly by going into the options menu.

4) Kill them. Running I find is typically hard unless I'm using the light fighter which has really good speed. Nano bots and repair stations are really the only way to repair them. Or nano injectors which I find are rare finds. Try using the interceptor, I find it's the easiest ship to use as it has a good balance of defenses but also has a shield. The heavy ship I find is great once you've unlocked most of the game's upgrades.

5) Most of the time there will be only 2-3 groups of enemies in a single stage, so if you just point the aiming cursor over them really quick, it will tell you the distance. Also, there is a little exclamation point that goes over them once they notice you and start attacking. I really have not found this to be a problem in all honesty.

6) That's pretty much it. You kind of know that asteroids will have crystals, small basis will have loot containers, gas clouds will give you plasma, abandoned colonial stations always have crates, etc... And of course the limiting factor is that the Okar will jump in after some time, so when that warning comes up, you should be dropping everything and existing the system.

Some general hints. Make sure to spend all your money at the end of each run. If you don't spend it, you lose it. Upgrade the interceptor to it's max first. It's the easiest ship to fly. It's easier as a novice player to fully upgrade a single ship, then when you start beating the game and collecting +60k of credits on each run, it will be much easier to unlock the other ships and upgrades. Use the Beam M3 weapon, it's the best in my opinion. The 4,000 meter range rifle is also good as you can start hitting enemies before they are in range. Time Extender is a great device to have. I would use it right before a fleet of ships start attacking. Once you get the ancient weapon glyph, try that, it has awesome power and range. When you first unlock the glyph that shows ancient structures on the map, use this until all glyphs are found, this will allow you to get the assignable upgrades that will help on future runs.

Don't give up. I think you just have to change your style of play. Once I had upgraded the interceptor I was doing pretty much full runs.
  • ES_145ES_145 Posts: 8Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
    Thank you for this helpful post! I have no intention to give up yet, just wanted to make sure that I am not doing something totally wrong.
  • ForavenForaven Posts: 121Member
    ES_145 said:

1. Do I always go back to Sector 1 after death and if so, how exactly can you progress past sector 2 or 3 if the nano bots are in such small quantities that it is virtually impossible to repair your ship?

Yeah, nanobots can be quite scarce, even for experienced players as the game can either dump lots of them or not give you any for quite a while. The best way to deal with this issue is to not take damage in the first place; learn to dodge attacks as much as possible and avoid engaging large groups of enemies if you can avoid it. It's also a good thing to learn to flee; there is no point to stay and fight every battles if you are not up to the task.

One extra tip: kill drones first! They are the weakest enemies, but among the most dangerous if left alone. Always dispatch enemy drones you see with extreme prejudice, or use drone overrides to turn them against their owners. Getting rid of drones will improve your survival rates by a lot.

3. By the time that I get any resources to upgrade a weapon, I am basically at 20% or less health so it seems that any upgrades are more or less useless since I can't really use them for long. Does that mean that I have to try and build any blueprints available to me at first?
    Upgrade your resource gathering perks, that should make it way easier to stockpile what you need.

4. Am I supposed to kill the enemies or avoid them? As I said previously the damage that I take is significant and there are no bots almost anywhere. By the time that I reach Sector 2 I am pretty much almost dead so I can never go past it. Is there any other way to repair your ship (I am using the heavy one atm)?
    Enemies drop loot, killing them provide you the stuff you need to progress. But nothing force you to kill every enemies you see. You can avoid the troublesome ones if you have no adequate means to deal with them.

7. How are you supposed to play each map? I look at all the resources that I can see when I enter the map and go on gathering them. I kill each enemy I see and after that I move to the next one. If there is some kind of wreck or structure I try to go there and look around it for items. Is there something else that you can do?
    Any wreaks is a good place to look for loot, so is any stations or large asteroids. However be wary of mines fields, hidden turrets and pirates hideouts (that can spawn lots of enemies).

It certainly feels like the only way to reach Sector 3 is to go for the jump immediately after entering each map, I really can't see any other way to do this if I am not able to repair my ship.
    Learn to win fights without taking damage to your hull: shields can take some hits and if you avoid damage long enough, they recharge back. That mean if they don't bring down your shields, you have no hull to repair. Don't play the gunship early on, it's the most difficult ship to play since you have no shields to soak damage for you (unless you count the front shield).