[Suggestions] Things I would like to see changed

Sankari13Sankari13 Posts: 20Member
Hi hi,

Just giving a list of things which in my opinion needs to be adressed.

Enemy Ships

-Okkar Interceptor shield recharge rate is ridicilously high and overpowered, rendering this enemy not even worth to fight for a reward.
-Okkar Fighter MK2 Front Shield duration is too high, cooldown has to be increased by a big margin
-Okkar Corvette shield drone spawn rate incredible high and gamebreaking considering how early one is confronted with these. They are fairly common. Corvette MK2 is easy mode compared to a Corvette MK1. Even Okkar Frigattes are easier to fight due to lack of regeneration abilities while latter requires skills to manouver and shoot+aim.
-Okkar Fighter MK3 is OP as -BEEP-. Considering their shield charge rate, durability and homing attacks these are worse than a Colonial Warship (which one can escape from).

As a general rule of thump: The smaller the enemy the bigger their threat level.
Frigates are fine, Corvette MK2 (including Elite) are fine. Both lack shield regeneration abilities and making them a good challenge for every ship setup or equipment level. You can just outrun them if needed.
However, the smaller the enemy gets, the more tedious the fights become. Especially Corvettes due to their insanely high shield drone spawn rate vs. your own energy regeneration and ability to maintain constant damage dealt to them.
Next in line of boredom are Okkar Fighter MK3 and MK2 due to aforementioned reasons. Their shield reg is high, they have infinite energy to allow a constant stream of homing Thermo Gun fire while oneself lacks everything due to limited energy levels.
Furthermore, these enemies always come with the next worse enemy - Drones.
A single laser drone is able to melt down a shield in mere seconds without the playering noticing their approach (more to this in the next topic). Add a webber- or sensor drone and you are toast if you cannot escape and re-evaluate your options.
Yes, drones again. They are a reason why I am exploiting the game by now to actually enjoy it. This means, I intentionally make use of bugs to my advantage to bypass this rather silly design element. Sorry guys, not going to tell you about these bugs. Gotta keep the game entertaining for me ;)

Drones

Keeping it short, their dodgy movement + ability level is too much. Tune them down please.
What bugs me most is that they are so hard to aim at. The indicator showing the direction is too small, often not even visible as the red indicator is at the same spot of some explosion or similar visually distracting area of the monitor. This also applies to loot crates and resources with the blue square on blue background..
Now, we have red squares covered by an explosion or a sun / planet.
I suggest to slow down the overall gameplay time much like Time Extender so the player has a chance to get rid of this annoying drone - instead of suddenly getting blasted into bits and pieces.
Or just remove webber and sensor drones ...

Enhancements:

-Beeline: this is great. It renders enemy missiles worthless. However, the player cannot use them either. Not much of a big deal as (I think I am not the only one) is barely using homing missiles anyway. I keep mine for the big boys. A few Corrosion Missiles on a nasty, infinite shielded Corvette MK1 does its job. Save your ARC9000 for the case you are swarmed at the start of a map - 3 squads of Okkar Swarm Fighters, a few Fighter MK2 or some Outlaws with tons of webber drones. Just throw the ARC, done.
Plasma Torpedos for the Corvette MK2, done.
There is really no need to use homing missiles I think.

-Low Profile
I don't mind the Jump Surpressor as long as I have all time of the world to loot everything while killing for max. credits. An ideal start for the money grind. Not sure what others think, but I believe this has to be removed for balance reasons. Instead, Low Profile could reduce the range of enemies taking notice of you e.g. the aggro range is drastically reduced. Lets say, 1000m or so.

-Sensor Overload
Sounds good, easy running from every resource on the map to the other. After picking up everything you usually have enough time to participate in combat and pick up the credits - long before the Warship arrives. You only have to know roughly what your enemies are able to withstand. If in doubt activate some devices of your choice, Time Expander, use a Damage Booster and you are done. Taking into account that really hard enemies not drop anything good anyway you can just jump to the next sector.
The negative effect of this enhancement can be neglected imo.

Many of the enhancements are not even appealing to me as only a few of them make it into consideration. Might write more about them when I test them some day.

Crafting

Crafting is nice.. for the normal item quality level, even MK2 items are ok to craft. But MK3 is almost always too expensive to affort. The amount of Dark Matter and Dark Energy is incredible high, especially Dark Matter is so rare that one might be able to craft a single Cloak MK3.
While the enhancement "Ancient Friend" allows for an increased farming of Dark Energy, the Dark Matter remains almost always outside of range for a normal run.

Speaking of this, I believe the 3 signature abilites for each ship should be much easier to craft.
Interceptor: Weapon Overload
Scout: Cloak
Gunship: Turrets or Front Shield Generator (cannot decide)
Maybe it is even ok to make them inate abilites to further enhance their feel and role within the Everspace universe. Having barely good devices to the end of the run, but wielding a good weapon almost feels the same for each ship. This is even more notiable when using the general devices Time Expander which is crucial to have when one is missing anything else good enough.

Hidden Tutorials

Yes, there are hidden tutorials. Super Metroid, an old SNES classic game and still run today by most skilled speedrunners, was famed for having hidden tutorials. By this, the game tought you the good stuff without giving direct hints or indicators.
Lets give some examples:
One of the first challenges is to destroy a couple of gas tanks during a single run: The player will notice that a few of them drop fuel which is hard to get when starting from scratch.
Another one is to destroy 20 missiles in a single run. In other games such minor things are often forgotten. Imagine the slow cumbersome Outlaw Bomber reading your way, shooting 2 missiles and the only ranged weapon you have is your Laser Beam which is easy to use to counter the missiles.
Make the G&B attack the Okkar! To do so you hide behind a freighter or a gas station, teaching that heading straight on is not always the way to deal with an overwhelming mass of enemies.
A few just do so out of curiosity, others need some helping hand to understand this "option".

Drone Hangar

Can we have a drone hanger to chose between drones? There is nothing more annoying that to fight a Drone Carrier while having 5 combat drones. And yes, the carrier is very common later on. He just takes away all the drones and you are left with re-crafting them :(

Sniper Sight

Hoping that you have read all the way down.
I would love to see some sort of sniper sight or zoom for the Shock Rifle for obvious reasons. A long range weapon needs such a feature.
Maybe make it so that the player is immobile while in "Sniper Mode".
While in Sniper Mode the player cannot move and has no visual cues for approaching enemies. However, the range is increased.

Kind regards,
S

Comments

• ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 562Moderator
    Thanks for your input. I read through it and took some notes to discuss with the team.
  • JiseiJisei Posts: 10Member
    Zoom on a Shock Rifle would be super handy - it could slowly zoom in while it charges up (the more charge the more zoom). Or there could just be a zoom upgrade for shock rifles. Also, it seems strange to me, that the PRO version has lower range than the standard version. I understand it must be some kind of balancing thing to counter the time slowing function. But I always end up using the standard because of it's range. This "PRO" naming thing seems counterintuitive also because Professionals should logically have better reaction/shoot better, without any slow down "help" and at a longer range.
  • vedun-zvedun-z Posts: 2Member
    edited August 2017
    I vote for zoom too!
  • Grendal27Grendal27 Posts: 33Member
    I really like the idea of a Zoom fucntion also, especially with the Ancient Weapon. As for your troubles with enemy ships, you might want to try different strategies or different equipment.

-I agree that Interceptors are difficult to fight in the beginning of the game. I had trouble too, but after a while it gets easier. The Fusion Blasters are very good for taking down interceptor shields, along with shield breaker missiles and shield disruptors. Just know that you have to hammer their hull (perhaps use missiles for this) within the brief time you have before the shields recharge. I consider it one of the challenges of the game, not an overpowered and unbalanced enemy.
    -Consider keeping a drone override handy for corvettes - fly right up to it and use the override, which should give you enough support and time to destroy it.
    -I've never had too much problem with drones, as they can be destroyed very quickly, but I do agree that sometimes it is difficult to see the little icons sometimes.

The drone hanger idea is really neat and I'd like to see where the devs can go with that idea too. Maybe part of the Gunship's drone perk?
  • JiseiJisei Posts: 10Member
    Stowing your drones would be a great feature! I get my sensor drone destroyed all the time. Enemies always target that defenseless little thing first. It's also pretty sad watching it stupidly flying around, burning up in solar flare's fires. I wish it was at least a little more smart, like when there's a bunch of pirates keep it's distance at 5 km until the area is clear, and hide behind the closest rock in solar storms, not fly after me into a minefield. Now I have to construct a new one in almost every new zone :)
    Oh, about minefields - they are a big annoyance to shoot one by one - I wish we could use "missile defense system" to shoot all of them at once in a certain radius around the ship (this would also give it more value - I noticed I don't use it that much as it is).
  • mirthilonmirthilon Posts: 7Member
    Zoom on sniper yes please!
    Also I am in partial agreement that the enemy markers for the drone, and for enemies in general, can be hard to see in red/orange systems. Perhaps adding a blue/black/purple outline would help solve this?

To answer some points of the original poster:
    Dealing with Corvettes MK1 - Corvettes are the Okkar mini-bosses one encounters along the way, and as such should be deadlier than regular enemies. For MK1's a drone override swiftly turns the tide of battle in your favor; not only does the corvette lose the drones but you get them as distractions and healers (for a time).
    Dealing with Okkar Fighters MK3 - These are powerful adversaries that you encounter in the late-late sectors. At this point you should have collected and crafted enough equipment of your choosing to be able to deal with them. If not, they make great target practice for missiles of the shield and light/heavy varieties (in that order). Secondary weapons are powerful, especially when used in conjunction with primaries, don't forget that.

Hidden tutorials: Everspace is a rougelike, and the very essence of the genre is "try this, try that". The game itself is a hidden tutorial. Nobody told you to hide behind a guarded GB transport from Okkar to get support fire, nobody told you you can shoot down missiles. Nobody told me that the best way to survive a warship was to fly into the nooks and crannies of one whilst the Okkar fighters dispatch that annoying suppressor-wielding drone carrier. It's all about learning from your attempts, successful or not, how to do things.
    Personal opinion: figuring out how to deal with situations is part of what makes Everspace so fun and great.

Much of the above is my way of expressing that the game is fine as it is. There are multiple game difficulties if you want more or less challenge and many loadouts to suit varying play styles, so there should be something to fit everyone.
  • ben1991ben1991 Posts: 9Member
    mirthilon said:

: figuring out how to deal with situations is part of what makes Everspace so fun and great.

I totally agree with this. It sounds like the OP is finding it hard to deal with some of the enemies, in which case I suggest trying some new tactics. For example, light missiles work excellently on drones, and are super cheap. If you run into an Okkar fighter that you can't comfortably kill off, hit it with a Corrosion missile - their hulls are weak, and they go down easy. Of course then you'll need homing missiles, so Beeline becomes less of a no-brainer . . .

There are things I would suggest changing in this game, but it's much more to do with UI and mechanics rather than the combat in the game.
  • Mr. MagniloquentMr. Magniloquent Posts: 20Member
    As towards the Shock Rifle Pro...it's like a shock rifle with training wheels. My only complaint about it is that the slow literally only occurs during charging. Once it's fully charged, time goes back to normal. Essentially, the weapon's gimmick only has value if you don't use the weapon to it's full potential. All of it's benefits over Shock Rifle I go out of the window once it's fully charged. No bueno.

Done hanger would be great. That's been a requested feature for some time. I have definitely wanted a zoom function for awhile now. The gunship needs shields though. All of it's gimmicks center around attempting to compensate for it's lack of shields, and still come up lacking. Even giving it exclusive access to the front shield generator was a kind of peace offering--that worked. I know it's not the dev.s's concept, but it needs shields. This game is about attrition, and the flying fridge fails in that regard largely because it has no ordinary shields. Other than those, I feel the game's balance is great. There are some enemies that are serious threats, but none which are inordinately disproportionate. With exception to the colonial warships (resentful), everything dies to proper piloting.
  • Firebrand_81Firebrand_81 Posts: 6Member
    I think that Leech combined with Front Shield, Adaptive Armor MK3 and Laser Turret make the Gunship a pretty solid choice. I'm not missing shields... ;) :)

Yes it's slow, but Energized Boost Mk3 make it manageable :)
  • EldragonEldragon Posts: 6Member

...The gunship needs shields though. All of it's gimmicks center around attempting to compensate for it's lack of shields, and still come up lacking. Even giving it exclusive access to the front shield generator was a kind of peace offering--that worked. I know it's not the dev.s's concept, but it needs shields. This game is about attrition, and the flying fridge fails in that regard largely because it has no ordinary shields.

I strongly agree with this. The gunship is fun, but I feel any run I have with it entirely depends on how lucky I am getting nanobots. The game is about attrition, but is balanced around the assumption you have shields to absorb incidental hits.

I suppose another option would be a nanobot synthesis module. e.g. A mechanism to covert materials into nanobots.
  • Yulia11Yulia11 Posts: 77Customer, Collector Beta Backer
    I would like the option to upgrade your existing equipment to Mk2 and 3.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    Yulia11 said:

You and me both. Sounds like a really cool feature!
    edited October 2017

Yulia11 said:

You and me both. Sounds like a really cool feature!
    Do you want to keep the option to craft directly though? Also the required components of course get rarer, with top tier dark matter. Should we still keep basic component requirement for upgrade?
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    Yulia11 said:

Do you want to keep the option to craft directly though? Also the required components of course get rarer, with top tier dark matter. Should we still keep basic component requirement for upgrade?

Upgrading the Mark of an item could be a nice benefit to finding Throng, the scientist added in the DLC. But the services he offers are pretty nice as it is.
    edited October 2017

Yulia11 said:

Upgrading the Mark of an item could be a nice benefit to finding Throng, the scientist added in the DLC. But the services he offers are pretty nice as it is.
    Haven'y met him yet but perhaps this perk should be an enhancement? The downside of the enhancement is it prevent you from obtaining mk.2 and 3 devices via loot, or greatly reduce the chance. The upside also include not requiring more basic resources unless the recipe requires it.
    By the way the backer background password is wrong.
  • Sankari13Sankari13 Posts: 20Member
    ben1991 said:

It sounds like the OP is finding it hard to deal with some of the enemies, in which case I suggest trying some new tactics.

I am sorry to disappoint you. I only use missiles (Plasma Torps in my case) for the biggest of all enemies which is the Corvette MK2 .. and MK1 sometimes. Considering myself a skilled pilot I engage enemies a different way. There is no "weapon against drones" and "this here for the fighters". All I need is a simple weapon of choice and myself. No modules, no consumables, no missiles.
    Not even the Frigate needs any special care. Just some dodging here, some evading there..

What bugs me most is that drones (Yes Giraf..) pretty much counter this play style but thankfull to the new OP item "Static Discharge" thats no issue anymore.

Still, I would like to see some changes made to drones and some enemies.
    Make the Frigate threatening, to the point where Jump Stabilizer becomes very important all but the most experienced and skillfull of pilots.
    The Corvette Drone spawn seems to be changed. Fine :smile:
    Interceptors are annoying as early morning rain on the way to work.
    Okkar Fighter MK3 alone is ok, but when there are more I just throw an ARC to not bug myself with this silly enemy.

In general the game has changed in a positive way since May, when I was writing this feedback thread.
    However, I avoid the game in its current state for certain reason I cannot voice - or I get banned ;)