Fighting Tips?

Iron_ClawIron_Claw Posts: 18Member
Does anyone have some tips or strategies for fighting outlaws and aliens? Their high speed and maneuverability make it hard to keep aimed at them, and any more than two enemies often spells the end for me. Thanks.

Comments

• ES_4547ES_4547 Posts: 1Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    Weapon types matter! Use your lasers on things that have shield. On things that do not have shields (or their shields are down) use your gatling gun.
  • smattilasmattila Posts: 4Common Alpha Backer
    edited May 2016
    Yeah. How do you kill these? I killed one and instantly died myself?

• MrWoodchipMrWoodchip Posts: 53Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    For taking down freighters, I suggest first shooting out their engines so they don't warp away, then fight the fighters as you would any other enemies (as freighters are unarmed), then shoot the boxes on the freighters, as they drop loot every time one is destroyed, but won't drop any if you just blow up the whole ship.
  • smattilasmattila Posts: 4Common Alpha Backer
    I wasn't talking about the freigthers, those are an easy peasy. I was talking about the flying bubbly aliens ;)
  • MrWoodchipMrWoodchip Posts: 53Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    Don't shoot them. They're not hostile.
  • DialBforBiscuitDialBforBiscuit Posts: 4Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    Remember, they are NPCs. They react to you. Which means you can force them to fight you anywhere you want. Like close to a Terran station that will help you shoot them down. Or Shipwrecks/asteroids which can help in fighting them one at a time while giving you protection. Or fly around a mine field and watch them head straight into it, clearing a path to the loot within the field and leaving donations, to your cause, along the way.

• Code__DragonCode__Dragon Posts: 16Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    The trick to getting rid of the Terran Fighters /Freight Guarders is close quarters. They aren't maneuverable whatsoever, and as long as you can stay behind one, it can't do much to defend itself, it can't rotate around to shoot you.
  • ZenTigerZenTiger Posts: 12Common Alpha Backer, Space Dog
    I think our fighter needs to have better strafing to try get out of the way of their weapons and (I hate to say it) a barrel roll function to try avoid oncoming missiles :smile:
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 562Moderator
    We just tweaked the strafing so that you can better dodge enemy fire, especially if you boost and strafe, even better when you boost, strafe and roll. But we also think about missile countermeasures, maneuvers and front / rear shield devices.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,096Moderator, Space Cat

We just tweaked the strafing so that you can better dodge enemy fire, especially if you boost and strafe, even better when you boost, strafe and roll. But we also think about missile countermeasures, maneuvers and front / rear shield devices.

This is great to hear; boosting seems like it should be used as a method of evasion, and having it now be implemented means we'll see some clever piloting!
  • ES_540ES_540 Posts: 1Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    Even with the update, combat is still too hard IMO. I get three ships firing at me at once and in the time it takes me to keep up with a single ship I'm dead. This game is one of the most beautiful and I really want to play, but it's ruining my enjoyment.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,096Moderator, Space Cat
    ES_540 said:

Even with the update, combat is still too hard IMO. I get three ships firing at me at once and in the time it takes me to keep up with a single ship I'm dead. This game is one of the most beautiful and I really want to play, but it's ruining my enjoyment.

I've been watching a handful of streamers, but few of them seem to have a lack of maneuverability.

At the same time, I would think dodging vollies from three ships at once SHOULD be a bit harder than not. Have you tried aileron rolling (or as Peppy Hare would say, barrel roll)? That seems to do a really great job dodging incoming fire.
  • jypsonjypson Posts: 52Customer

ES_540 said:

I've been watching a handful of streamers, but few of them seem to have a lack of maneuverability.

At the same time, I would think dodging vollies from three ships at once SHOULD be a bit harder than not. Have you tried aileron rolling (or as Peppy Hare would say, barrel roll)? That seems to do a really great job dodging incoming fire.
    I'm really hoping we get HOTAS support. I'm useless using a control on flight games, and the KB controls are a bit awkward (for me) in the heat of battle.
  • ShiuzanShiuzan Posts: 76Customer
    edited May 2016
    For me as a primary mouse and keyboard gamer, playing everspace with a controller is the way to go. I've had some struggles getting used to it.
    After dozens of hours of playing with controller (to my surprise) it's the best way to play.

Best fighting tip I can give you is preserve energy. Before you boost towards decide whether or not you want to engage, make sure to keep over half of your energy. Fire at them with Pulse Laser (for shield) and then use either Gatling or Missiles to take out their hull.

Takes a while to get used to but it wrecks a lot of foes.
  • KendovKendov Posts: 2Member
    smattila said:

Yeah. How do you kill these? I killed one and instantly died myself?

These things are considered animals like the slimes and jellyfish, so other NPC's don't 'see' them at all. When you kill them, they dissolve into a swarm of homing bubbles that deal a lot of damage (about 60% on my sentinel) -through- the shields. Best advice I can give is to consume a stomg damage reduction upon slaying them to minimize damage taken, but you can't avoid them completely.