Disk Error

toolzytoolzy Posts: 6Member
So I got this error whenever I open Everspace. I'm on STEAM and I've been getting it on full release and when it was on early access.

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,009Moderator
    Huh? This is very strange? Never heard or saw that before. I'll get back to you on this when I'm back at the office on monday.
  • toolzytoolzy Posts: 6Member
    Hey ROCKFISH_Andi: FYI, I have STEAM defaulted to install games into my "K:\" drive instead of the default "C:\".
  • ROCKFISH_SvenROCKFISH_Sven Posts: 93Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Hey toolzy,
    could you :
    • tell us your Windows version
    • make sure the error still occurs RIGHT NOW
    • give us a complete list of your drives/partitions and tell us for each drive letter what it represents (e.g. Internal hard disk, external hard disk plugged via USB, CD/DVD/BluRay drive / SD-Card Reader / USB Stick)
    • please also list all drives, which currently do not show up as a drive letter, like SD-Card readers, which currently do not have a card inserted.
    • please tell us on which drives you have
      • Windows
      • Steam
      • Everspace
      • Your savegames (press Windows-Key+R and enter %localappdata%, press enter and tell us which path has opened)
    After that please try to unplug all USB Sticks, all external hard drives (except you have installed Everspace on such a disk) and remove all SD cards from SD card readers [EDIT: and all CDs/DVDs/BluRays form your optical drives] and tell us if the problem still persists.

Hey toolzy,
    could you :

• tell us your Windows version
    • make sure the error currently still occurs
    • give us a complete list of your drives/partitions and tell us for each drive letter what it represents (e.g. Internal hard disk, external hard disk plugged via USB, CD/DVD/BluRay drive / SD-Card Reader / USB Stick)
    • please also list all drives, which currently do not show up as a drive letter, like SD-Card readers, which currently do not have a card inserted.
    • please tell us on which drives you have
      • Windows
      • Steam
      • Everspace
      • You savegames (press Windows-Key+R and enter %localappdata%, press enter and tell us which path has opened)
    After that please try to unplug all USB Sticks, all external hard drives (except you have installed Everspace on such a disk) and remove all SD cards from SD card readers and tell us if the problem still persists.
    Just saw this. I'll do this when I get home from work tonight.
    Sorry for such a late reply. I just moved to my new house. Anyway, the error is gone. Whatever you guys patched in this latest version fixed it.
  • exzordorexzordor Posts: 14Member
    Getting the same error, game was working fine and then started getting this error after about 5 hours gameplay?

Hey exzordor,

could you please work through the list above?
    edited June 2017
    - Windows 10
    - - Error occured just now for the screenshot above
    - c: programs (ssd)
    - d: data
    - e: disk drive

No card readers or usb sticks in use, just computer kb and mouse.

Games are saved to SSd c: drive.

Steam and all programs are on the SSD drive C
    edited June 2017
    Hmm...
    • Is Everspace installed to the default path (within the steam directory) or have you set a custom path?
    • What happens, when you press "continue"?
    • Is there (any) disk in drive E: ? If so: could you try what happens, if you remove it? If not: Could you try what happens, if you put a data disk into the drive?
    • EDIT: is "D:" an internal or external hard drive?
    - I just click "install game" from Steam to default location, I have verified Everspace location to be within /steamapps/common along with all other games and Steam.
    - When "continue" is clicked, the Game launches.
    - No disk in drive, upon putting disk in drive, and loading game it still gives the same error.

Game does launch and is playable I just hoped to help you guys allocate the problem, if I am having it and others.
    Hey exzordor,
    big thank you for your help!

Could you also test this:
    • Please open your installation directory, browse to "EVERSPACE\RSG\Binaries\Win64\" and start RSG-Win64-Shipping.exe directly. Does the error still occur? (I'm assuming you have a 64bit system here. If you have 32bit, please tell us!)
    • If the message still occurs: What happens if you start the exe mentioned above by right click =>
      Run as Administrator?
    Opened the .exe from /binaries/win64 same error occurs

Yes, 64 bit.

Run as admin same error.
    edited June 2017
    • Since when are you playing Everspace? Have you played it before the full release update?
    • Have there beed ANY changes in your drive letters recently, like:
      • You added / removed a partition
      • You mounted an iso image (so a new drive letter occurred)
      • Used an USB Stick / plugged a phone/camera/mp3 player to your PC
    • Do you use more than one windows user?
    5 days

no changes to any drives. Game did not produce the error when I first downloaded and pklaying it, it seems to started around 3-5 hours of gameplay?

No users or logins on this machine
    I do plug my phone and camera off on on to the machine (sorry missed that part)
    Just made sure phone, camera and even controller disconnected and restarted Everspace, still error.
    Just updated Steam and rebooted, same error.
    edited June 2017
    Could you temporarily rename your save game folder?
    1. Quit your game (VERY IMPORTANT, otherwise you could damage your savegame)
    2. Windows Key + R => enter %localappdata% =>Open "RSG" => Rename "Saved" into "SavedBackup"
    3. Try to start the game again
    Recover your savegame:
    1. Quit your game (EVEN MORE IMPORTANT THAN BEFORE)
    2. Windows Key + R => enter %localappdata% =>Open "RSG"
    3. Delete or rename the new "Saved" folder
    4. Rename "SavedBackup" into "Saved"

same error.
    Also thanks so much Sven, for helping. I can only imagine how stressful it can be to diagnose these errors remotely. I love the game and appreciate being helped so promptly.
    If I copy the "Saved" folder to another location as a backup and uninstall and reinstall, think that would work?
    edited June 2017
    Well – give it a try!
    But I don’t have very high hopes in that.
    There is another thing you could do which might help us understanding the problem:
    Could you start the game so you have a “fresh” error, look at your system time, memorize the exact time and then start the Windows Event Viewer (Windows key + R and enter eventvwr).
    I have to admit, I’m not very familiar with that tool, so I can’t tell you where to look exactly. Please see if you can find any recent entries for “Everspace” or “RSG” in some category (maybe “Windows-Protocols > Applications”) or other entries which match the time the error was shown, which tell something about a file/path that was not found.
    I located the event, however it doesnt seem to provide any file path here is a screenshot

the details tab has same info

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Popup
    [ Guid] {47BFA2B7-BD54-4FAC-B70B-29021084CA8F}

EventID 26

Version 0

Level 4

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-06-12T21:02:27.440724800Z

EventRecordID 151529

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 848
    [ ThreadID] 868

Channel System

Computer DESKTOP-4CCKGIT

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

Caption RSG-Win64-Shipping.exe - No Disk
    Message There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive E:.
  • amcferrin90amcferrin90 Posts: 1Member
    Hello. I have the same problem as OP except just started last Saturday after Steam update.
  • Species8472.5bSpecies8472.5b Posts: 9Member
    edited August 2017
    Running the GOG version of Everspace v.1.08.32661 and I notice I get this every time I launch the game after watching a movie.

Just did a few quick tests, and these steps seem to reproduce the problem 100% of the time... Put a DVD movie in the optical drive and leave it long enough for the title to show up beside the drive-letter in Windows Explorer, then eject it again. Now launch Everspace, and the error should appear.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,009Moderator
    edited August 2017

Running the GOG version of Everspace v.1.08.32661 and I notice I get this every time I launch the game after watching a movie.

Thanks for this info. Very strange, but we might be able to reproduce it now.