Automatic activating Device Slots

ToshTosh Posts: 8Member
Hey guys,

at first: my english isn´t the best, i will tell the problem at the end in german, because the developer are german too.

The game is a lot of fun, i know it is not the final version.
But: the gameplay feeling feels bad, when I am using 2 active Device.

I need to tab to get in the menu, activate the anti missle tower, get back in game, press "R" to activate the tower, press "tab" again to get in the menu, activate the "slow" device, press again "tab" to get back in game and press "R" to activate the device. AFter that i need to "tab" again, to get my primary Device on "R". The gameplay feels wrong! I feels like i need to double activate die Devices. Why i cant activate the missle tower over the menu, like the consuables.

In German:

Das Problem ist, dass das Spielerlebnis zu stark gebremst wird, wenn man 2 aktive Device Slots nutzen will. Beispiel Missle Tower und SLow Device. Um beide in den Kämpfen nutzen zu können, muss man ständig im Menu rumklicken und die Geräte praktisch doppelt aktivieren. Einmal im Menu ausrüsten und einmal im Kampf zu aktivieren, das fühlt sich doppelt gemoppelt an, vor allem, weil man den Tower Turm ja dann nur für 1 Sekunde raus holen muss, ihn schnell aktivieren und anschliessend sofort wieder zum Slow Device wechseln muss. Also ich rede von dem Anti Missle Turm.

Besser wäre es, wenn man den Turm wie die Konsumsachen aus dem Menu aktivieren kann ohne die Device hin und her zu wechseln.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    @Tosh you should be able to press 3 to change which device you currently have equipped.

You can also HOLD 3 to bring up a circular menu that allows you to directly select which Device at once.

Hope this helps!
  • ToshTosh Posts: 8Member
    Nah, i know that, but it feels wrong to double activate. Iam playing with Slow and anti missle device. The Slow Device is my primary, i need it in every fight. But if iám fighting against Bombers or Scouts MK2 with missles i just need the "anti missle tower" for one second. If I´am playing with your circular menu it is the same problem:

Activate the tower, Press "r" and switch back to slow. It feels like a consumables, but i cant use it like this. You never had this bad feeling with 2 active devices?
    Its better if i can Tab to get in the menu and activate the tower, without switching it and pressing "r". Like the consumables.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,045Moderator
    I get your point, it's not that I often feel the need for such an option - but there have been a few occasions. We'll discuss it here.
    edited May 2017
    This game ist about you need to pause the game in different situations. We have an option for it with "tab" or the circular menu. To craft items or switching weapons. And we need this pause! In lets plays differnt people say it too, that it is difficult to get the right weapon in the right moment, often in fights.I do no see the problem with the weapons, you can tab and switch the weapon, after that you need to use it a while, but often i get the wrong weapon too, because you cant organize them in the menu. You get them in the order that you loot them. I like to have my shield weapons in the top , my hull weapons second and my third weapons against enemie groups. but in every run it is differtn, because you cant organize them. But it is o.k. cause of the "tab menu" where you can switch, but it feels like a compromise.

But with the device it is not a compromise, it is more like a job to get and activate them.
    In hard situations where you need every second and every devices its pretty hard to use 2 devices. It feels like, you are losing time. YOu need to switch weapons and the device. When you pause the game to switch the devices you lost your aiming to the target and time, so iam asking my self, is it worth to use 2 active devices or more.
    I dont whant this game more easy! i whant a great feeling to use my devices. :)

Maybe other understand this and agree or disagree.

But at the end, you did a great job with this game!
  • ForavenForaven Posts: 116Member
    While it is advantageous to use multiple devices at once during combat, I found myself to rarely do so because I find it tedious with the current setup on PC. I would prefer to be able to activate devices with 1 keypress for each rather than having to swap and activate.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited May 2017
    I would absolutely love having, say, the numbers 5-10 tied to different Devices/Consumables though some kind of customizable keybinding option instead of rapidly swapping between multiple Devices.

But I will also say that with a little bit of experience, getting used to the controls provided allow for some powerful Device combos as it is in-game. For instance, Weapon Overdrive + Time Extender + Shield Disruptor, seen in the first seconds of this video:

While I do support the idea of individual Devices/Consumables tied to single keystrokes, it presents a feature that console players simply cannot have. I don't think providing certain functionality in one version of the game over the other would do well towards the community, making it look like favorites are being chosen.

Or, perhaps I'm wrong in this regard, since it is not uncommon for PC games turned console to have modifications to the control scheme simply based on the respective controller.

Either way, I do not think this feature is dire to the game, but I could see it making PC gaming more accessible.
  • NesefaceNeseface Posts: 27Member
    I'd like to see it go the MMO UI route with a hot bar you can stick any device on to in any place. Then for primary and secondary weapons, have a dedicated key for swapping (scroll wheel for primary is already set) possibly even the function keys.
    anyway, the way it's designed now reduces usability in the extreme. I play with it, but I've almost never used multiple devices. Mostly just equip passives and one activateable. Consumable wise, I tend to use them from the tab menu more often than not, outside of the scanner probe.

While I do support the idea of individual Devices/Consumables tied to single keystrokes, it presents a feature that console players simply cannot have. I don't think providing certain functionality in one version of the game over the other would do well towards the community, making it look like favorites are being chosen.

Or, perhaps I'm wrong in this regard, since it is not uncommon for PC games turned console to have modifications to the control scheme simply based on the respective controller.

Either way, I do not think this feature is dire to the game, but I could see it making PC gaming more accessible.

Console have gamepads with conveniently placed controls, keyboards and mouse not so much. We have lots of keys we can maps on PC, but most are hard (or impossible) to reach while using the mouse and pressing the movements keys. It's also fairly easy to hit the wrong key in the heat of the moment. The less keypresses I have to go through for an action, the better for me.

• PacketlossPacketloss Posts: 22Member
    edited May 2017
    Foraven said:

We have lots of keys we can maps on PC, but most are hard (or impossible) to reach while using the mouse and pressing the movements keys.

Considering that they're trying to code to support VR-grade systems, and how many people have gamer grade multibutton mice, it would be nice to support keybinding specific functions. Perhaps a two-part solution? Like, bind certain keys to Hotkeys 1-9 in the config settings, then add the option to assign an item to a Hotkey slot. You could even put in autocraft as an option with this.

Ex: In my settings I bind 'Hotkey 3' to 'Mouse Button 5' (usually MB5 is a thumb button) then once in my ship, I assign Scanning Probe to Hotkey 3. The UI could be "Assign to Hotkey > 3" Now whenever I press that thumb button I will use a scanning probe if I already have one, or I'll craft one and use it if not.

• NesefaceNeseface Posts: 27Member
    edited May 2017
    I've got an MMO mouse, 20 buttons... I bind the -BEEP- out of it in Elite: Dangerous
    I have both gamer mice and mechanical gaming keyboard, but most games don't let me make much use of the extra buttons :(.