Some ideas on how to speed up the action
After playing all weekend, I have come up with a few suggestions. I selfishly hope they make it into the game because I think I'd have even more fun playing with them. Mostly these are things I wish the UI had. I don't think they will change the balance of the game at all. They just cut out some of the tedious stuff so we can spend more time blowing stuff up!
- Detailed resource icons in the HUD. Show gas icon for gas, fuel for fuel, etc.
- Show object distances and/or names when using lookaround mode.
- Create a dedicated slot for scanning probes. I found myself going through the "Drop Consumable X -> Craft Scanning Probe -> Use Scanning Probe -> Pick up X" a lot and it felt unnecessary IMO.
- When a cluster of resources is far away (>2km?) or offscreen, show a "resource cluster" icon instead of all of the individual icons. For example, if there's an asteroid which is 3.5km away and it has 2 mineable crystals and 2 tech containers, then show this:
,', 4 (3.5km)
The game would be more enjoyable if I could just plan roughly "go to point-of-interest A and get everything, skip point-of-interest B becasue it's too far" instead of having to re-evaluate where all the blue dots are constantly. It's still useful to see what types of resources are at a specific location, but that could be solved by blowing up the resource cluster icon when aiming at it directly or when using lookaround mode.
- Some way to highlight a navigation target (like middle mouse click on a resource icon, trader, or jump gate). If I get in a fight and want to pick up where I left off, I have to get my bearings again, which makes my head hurt