80 hours and a few patches later, some thoughts

KiithKiith Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 22
I haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd give some further impressions as we approach the game's release.

Pros:
-I love ancients and the zones the get, it's scary, feels awesome and super fun to play through! They do feel a bit empty though but I think it's great how they function currently.
-Some of the ancient upgrades are cool. Especially the one that summons ancients to help you out, however once they blow up and turn into smaller ones they turn on you. I'm not sure if that is intended but they still drop dark energy which is fine. I think they shouldn't though and should stay friendly when they burst into multiples. (The ones summoned from the trait at least)
-The game feels much more balanced. I don't remember when my last posts were nor do I feel like checking (lol) but more weapons do seem more viable depending on what you wanna do. The game does seem more centered around consumables as I find those are the more powerful items. And in the late game it revolves around using your extra resources to make MK3 consumables to make high risk sectors and harder enemies doable.

Cons:
-With the addition of the ruined space stations (with the doors and stuff) I dislike how you have to use access keys to get very small rewards when compared to secure containers. Especially since access keys are pretty rare still.
-The scout is too weak. The AI will still hit you the same amount of the time and I don't notice the reduced hitbox and speed difference from the interceptor. The interceptor can take more hits and is all around a better ship, The niche that the scout tries to fill doesn't seem to work in a game like this since cloak (the best item they get) is counter intuitive to how you should play the game. You need to kill things and shoot resources to upgrade your ship to beat the game. Something the scout is just bad at.
-The game is still too short. Once you have all the upgrades the game lacks in "late-game" where we all will end up at some point. I think 10 sectors with the "11th sector" (oooooo) being the boss sector sounds more fair and sounds more appealing. I always thought ending on sector 7 sounded awkward but it doesn't really matter. I just think the "base game" / "normal mode" should gave 10-11 sectors.

Comments

• KiithKiith Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 22
    Another thing which is more of an opinion that I keep saying:

Black holes should be reworked into an enviornmental hazard and have them take up a much more sizable chunk of the map they're in (make them much larger). It'll make them more rare and avoidable and much more scary when you do see one.

Currently I think the game isn't doing black holes justice but that's just me.
  • ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121
    Kiith said:

-With the addition of the ruined space stations (with the doors and stuff) I dislike how you have to use access keys to get very small rewards when compared to secure containers. Especially since access keys are pretty rare still.

While i agree the loot is lackluster, the keys aren't so rare now. Look for a red skull enemy, they often drop keys now. Sometimes they spawn as you get near the space stations.
    -The scout is too weak. The AI will still hit you the same amount of the time and I don't notice the reduced hitbox and speed difference from the interceptor. The interceptor can take more hits and is all around a better ship, The niche that the scout tries to fill doesn't seem to work in a game like this since cloak (the best item they get) is counter intuitive to how you should play the game. You need to kill things and shoot resources to upgrade your ship to beat the game. Something the scout is just bad at.
    The scout do have a smaller profile, but you have to actively dodge to make use of it. The scout is very agile and can evade missiles and gun shots with ease, but you can't afford to get hit. The cloak allow you to break locks to get away, or if you feel like it, get close to them and start shooting their tailpipe. The scout is great, but it requires more skills to play since it's so fragile...

-The game is still too short. Once you have all the upgrades the game lacks in "late-game" where we all will end up at some point. I think 10 sectors with the "11th sector" (oooooo) being the boss sector sounds more fair and sounds more appealing. I always thought ending on sector 7 sounded awkward but it doesn't really matter. I just think the "base game" / "normal mode" should gave 10-11 sectors.
    It needs more than just be longer, we need a reason to keep exploring. At some point we just have more than enough to finish a run and little reasons to keep exploring or taking any risks fighting. I tend to skip most systems in sector 6 because at that point I usually have plenty of resources and fuel to make it to sector 7.

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    Thank you for all of your feedback!

I wanted to quickly touch on just a couple points from what the devs have commented toward in previous posts or during conversations of streams:

The team knows Access Keys are a bit lack-luster in the late-game. As such, they are looking to make the content of Colonial derelict stations more worthwhile when using them, even if you've already collected all of the Enhancements.

It's great you think the Scout is too weak, as I think the Scout is overpowered. With different playstyles, this immediately tells me that the differences between ships are preferential instead of unbalanced. This is a great sign regarding ship balance. That said, I'm curious what you would add to the Scout or take away from the Interceptor to make them more even. Suggestions are always welcome!

The dev team wants a single playthrough to last a quick healthy amount of time; they feel six sectors + final area is a good amount of space to give a player to work with in a single run. I personally think it could be a little longer as well, but a modification of this magnitude would require a modification of ALL loot drop amounts (Credits, resources, unlockables) and would require an in-depth look at spawned locations (Colonial Derelict Stations, Ancient Stations, Traders, hazards, etc.) else the additional Sectors could be either far too easy or terribly disastrous. Though, maybe we'll see more Sectors in Hardcore mode.

While I think it would be AMAZING to see an entire area being sucked into a black hole as a giant hazard, it would also prove to be quite problematic regarding that area's generation. It wouldn't really make sense to find any resources/traders/bases/ships in the area, so it would just be a big black hole with dark energy and dark matter to gather, which probably isn't too enticing to most players.

Again, thank you for your feedback! The team is always open to suggestions so if you have any suggestions to the game, even with it being about a month away from release, please feel free to share!
  • KiithKiith Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 22

It's great you think the Scout is too weak, as I think the Scout is overpowered. With different playstyles, this immediately tells me that the differences between ships are preferential instead of unbalanced. This is a great sign regarding ship balance. That said, I'm curious what you would add to the Scout or take away from the Interceptor to make them more even. Suggestions are always welcome!

I think what the Scout needs is an additional type of device exclusive to it that with help in the issue that massive amounts of AI are going to hit you no matter what.

Something like a hologram projector that creates 2-3 images of your ship that will take aggro off of you for a bit so you can focus on targets without having swarms of guys on you which can happen easily in the late game.

The holograms don't do anything but fly around and look like your ship. They don't take nor deal damage and simply have a chance to aggro enemies off of you and will cause them to attack the holograms for however long the holograms are up.
  • PacketlossPacketloss Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2017
    Perhaps give a buff to the shock rifle and make it scout only? Or introduce some other scout-only primary weapon. Maybe a microwave inducer or somesuch that ignores shields? or Nanite Globber that fires streams of Gray Goo that do DoT damage to the target. I would love to see fluid dynamics in a vacuum used as a weapon in the unreal engine, if that is even possible.

I feel like as the 'Stealth' class, they need a way to mitigate armor and fight dirty. Maybe the Microwave Projector starts at 40dps but does increasing damage the longer it's channeled on a target, up to a max of 120dps damage?
    (edit) No now that I think about it ramping damage would be cool for the interceptor or gunship but it wouldn't fit with the scout. Instead the microwave, because it's non-visible energy transfer, could be fired from stealth with a lowered chance to be detected.
  • troopitroopi Member Posts: 83
    About the runs being too short, the game could have a special area after each 5, with end game content, big ancient portals to open. If the player activated the portal, he would pass through, get a good bonus and restart another run. But this time, the run would be longer, because that portal would be already opened.
    So, if first you had to reach level 5, next you would have to reach level 10, 15, 20, and so on. To the length ROCKFISH decided to properly end the story. It could be even developed as "episode updates".
    But please, not DLCs.

Cheers
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2017
    An interesting suggestion @troopi , sounds a bit of an overhaul to the current game though. A nice little idea, though!
    troopi said:

It could be even developed as "episode updates".
    But please, not DLCs.

Episode updates and DLCs are the same thing, just called different things. More specifically, episode updates are DLCs, whereas DLCs are not necessarily episodic.
    I like the new "bombers", much better than the outcast chiefs. They are hateful, with all those missiles spammed. Lovely hateful.

Episode updates and DLCs are the same thing, just called different things. More specifically, episode updates are DLCs, whereas DLCs are not necessarily episodic.

Sorry, I explained it wrong. I was talking about payed DLC's. Cause nowadays, it's what we are used to, so I considered DLC=payed extras. But free DLC's are perfectly welcome. As long as they don't overreach the budget, I will beg for everything possible.