Beam Lasers is for Newbs

PacketlossPacketloss Member Posts: 22
Got your attention? Good :P What I mean is, Beam Laser is for new players, more specifically, players that dont have all their perks filled out yet. The reason is Beams can't crit and are unaffected by fire rate. The only bonus they get is from straight +% to damage. For an example of the crit difference, let's look at the gattling gun.

No, I'm not saying the gattling gun is in all ways better than the beams. I just chose the gattling because at 20 shots a second, it is very easy to math.

Beam 2 does 80dps to hulls
Gattling 1 does 80dps to hulls (20 shots per second times 4 damage per shot)
BUT if you have critical damage and chance perks maxed, you have a 5% chance that one of those shots will do 5x damage. 20 x 0.05 = 1 so on average one of your 20 shots per second will crit. The new hull DPS of the gattling gun is
(4x19)+(4x5) = 76+20 = 96dps to hulls

And remember what I said about the fire rate not effecting beams? Weapon Overdrive3 increases damage by +22% and fire rate by +38% not only is that fire rate bonus a huge boost to damage, but with more shots per second your average crits per second go up as well. I'm going to ignore the +damage effect for now since both weapons are effected by it, but here's the math of the gattling with JUST +38% fire rate
20 x 1.38= 27.6 shots/second
27.6 x 0.05=1.38 average crits/second
27.6-1.38= 26.22 average noncrit shots/second
(4 x 26.22)+(1.38 x 4 x 5)=104.88+27.6=132.48 hull dps under the effect of Weapon Overdrive3

Now lets add the +22% damage to each
Beam 2 -> 80 x 1.22 = 97.6 DPS with WO3
Gattling 1 -> 132.48 x 1.22 = 161.6256 Hull DPS with WO3
97.6 vs 161.6256 without any mods, with just WO3 running and crit talents. I admit, my math could be off depending on how weapon damage is coded and your crit luck. But the comparison will still not be favorable.

See what I mean? Beam lasers are for newbs. Im not saying they're terrible! They are a solid, reliable, and energy efficient source of damage. Ill still take one over several other weapons in the game. But once you get deeper into the game and unlock Mk2 and Mk3 mods, other weapons start to really shine.

TLDR: Beam laser is unaffected by crit or fire rate, and I have too much time on my hands.

Comments

• invenioinvenio Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2017
    I see what you mean but I still think the beam delivers probably the most dps in real game play. My weapon of choice is Beam M3 with three MK3 range mods. This puts the beam range at about 1900 meters out. I can pretty much take on any fighter and drone at a safe distance.

The question becomes what percentage of shots are landed when somebody does a play through with the gattling gun vs percentage of shots landed with the beam? Maybe you have better aim than I do. I probably only have half my shots with projectile weapons actually hit my targets (and substantially less when I am firing from a safe distance of +1500 meters out). You have to subtract the miss percentage from the max DPS to get a more accurate idea of how much damage you will be doing.
  • PacketlossPacketloss Member Posts: 22
    Definitely agree with that. I would always take a Beam2 over a Gattling1. I was mainly using the gattling 1 because the math is easy to show with it. My weapon of choice atm is the Ancient Weapon, Im working on a guide for that now.

I just want to get people looking at other weapons, since if everybody says to use the Beam2 everybody will start using it without experimenting for themselves.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2017

My weapon of choice atm is the Ancient Weapon, Im working on a guide for that now.

I did a quick weapon's test of the Ancient Weapon versus an Okkar Frigate. This might help your guide:

I'm working on another one of these comparisons with the use of the Daredevil Enhancement active at the same time. (If my calculations are correct, it should reduce the time down to approx. 6 seconds and take approx. 16 shots to fire.) It's pretty ridiculous what this weapon is capable of, in a good way by putting the player at risk (like a glass cannon build, if you will). I'm curious what your thoughts will be regarding game balance.
    How do you acquire the "ancient weapon"?
  • ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121
    invenio said:

How do you acquire the "ancient weapon"?

It's a glyph you get from the ancient depots. You equip it and it will be the only weapon you can use in that run.
    Ok, cool. BTW, do you have a recommendation on how to kill those ancient/black hole enemies? They always kick my -BEEP- and seem to drain my shield and life extremely quickly.

I'm curious what your thoughts will be regarding game balance.

Game balance? I finished a normal run when I was testing out my build and it was so easy I tried it in hard. Even in hard mode it was only slightly difficult, I would hang around for a few waves of Okkar Pursuit to rack up some free kills and get more money. Finished that run with $105k and 508 kills. Only downside is, it relies SO MUCH on player accuracy that I couldn't imagine doing it with a joystick or controller. Though admittedly I'm not as comfortable with a controller, so I dont rule either out.
    edited April 2017

Game balance? I finished a normal run when I was testing out my build and it was so easy I tried it in hard. Even in hard mode it was only slightly difficult, I would hang around for a few waves of Okkar Pursuit to rack up some free kills and get more money. Finished that run with $105k and 508 kills.

Do you have full Perks/Blueprints? What run number are you on? About how many hours have you plugged into the game? Knowing your skill level and commitment to the game may give a better read at how easy the Ancient Weapon makes the game (as I agree it's OP, just trying to form the proper details behind why it is. I believe skilled/veteran players tend to capitalize on this than beginners/newcomers do...just looking for more information to back up this claim).

Only downside is, it relies SO MUCH on player accuracy that I couldn't imagine doing it with a joystick or controller. Though admittedly I'm not as comfortable with a controller, so I dont rule either out.

Controller users receive an admirable boost to automatic accuracy. Truthfully, sniping weapons are easier to use with a controller of a player with equal skill. It's a nice tradeoff since the mouse is far more accurate than a joystick.

Do you have full Perks/Blueprints? What run number are you on? About how many hours have you plugged into the game?

I have all the blueprints, glyphs and enhancements. I have all the perks that I feel are most important maxed on the Pilot, Interceptor and Gunship. Im on run 27, the Ancient Weapon test runs were #s 24 and 25. Run 26 ended when the pilot *cough* was trying to get some Dark Matter and boosted into an asteroid at terminal velocity... we don't talk about #26 :hushed: But to give you an idea of how I commit to games, I have every ship and their variations unlocked in FTL, and every ship-specific achievement completed on normal difficulty or higher.

@Packetloss you sound a lot like me haha. That's awesome! I look forward to your tests and your feedback from them. ;-)