PERKS - Tooltips and Disabling

GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,096Moderator, Space Cat
edited April 2017 in GAME WORLD
Hey Everspace Community and Rockfish Games,

A couple simple little suggestions today, so let's get into it. As always, these are cataloged ideas stemming from my own experiences; if you agree, disagree or have additional thoughts, please feel free to comment.

Perk Upgrade Information
On the Perk screen, it's not possible to see the previous tiers of the Perks after you've upgraded them. I'd love to compare my starting hull versus how much each upgrade has granted, or what new ability my drones gained on the Gunship. This feature could be done using some kind of tooltip pop up, or including the information to the right (via scrolling up/down). While this feature is not dire, being able to visibly see player progression gives me a little more clarity.

Disabling Perks
I'm a huge fan of the self-imposed challenge known as the No-Perk Run, which is exactly as it sounds: You complete a run without any Perks purchased. These runs are typically without Blueprints because they're attempted at the very start of a game wipe. I would find a lot of use out of a Disable Perks button; I'd love to keep a save file with everything I've unlocked while also having the ability to attempt No-Perk runs as well.

I'd love to hear what you all think about these suggestions. Would they be nice to have? Am I asking for too much? Are they excessive? Absolutely perfect? Let me know below; don't be shy!

Let's have a discussion!

Giraffasaur

Comments

• Ohlordlylord555Ohlordlylord555 Posts: 14Member
    I think being able to see your progression is always a good idea. I always like to be able to compare and see how much stronger i've become versus my starting strength but just like the perk disabling bottom option it is not totally necessary.

I personally like the perks and it makes the games more playable for me.

With that being said, in a non linear game like this or just in general OPTIONS are always a welcomed Addition.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,096Moderator, Space Cat
    I should clarify: The Disable Perk button I'm suggesting would not remove them from the game, but merely deactivate them for that run. All progression would be saved and still be available to use in future runs by an Enable Perks button.
    I understand completely. It would be a Welcomed Addition to the gameplay features. All saying is that it wouldn't make or break it for me cause i like leveling up. Thats kind of a major leveling up factor for me. Just like all the other games that we as Gamers play that has a leveling up factor, once it caps its going to get boring and there's no multiplayer at this time so why would I want to turn off one of the major factors that keeps me playing.

But for those of us who likes to challenge themselves from time to time or just loves a good self-sabotage.... It would be a welcomed Addition.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,000Moderator
    More info regarding the perks would indeed be nice - we'll have to see if we find the time and the space in the menu to squeeze more info in - I guess the most important bit would be to add the total cost for perks with sub-levels.

Regarding the "disable perks" option - We could do this, but we'd rather like to put in the hardcore mode which would be close to a no perk experience.

More info regarding the perks would indeed be nice - we'll have to see if we find the time and the space in the menu to squeeze more info in - I guess the most important bit would be to add the total cost for perks with sub-levels.

That's a great point; I've seen several streamers put Credits toward a particular Perk only to be stopped by the last sub-level by a couple hundred Credits, then wish they had put it somewhere else.

Another possible solution to this would be to allow any obtained Credits to be added-subtracted before a run, only locking in the Perk purchases once the next run is started. Though I'm sure this is another item that would take time to implement, so there's that.

Regarding the "disable perks" option - We could do this, but we'd rather like to put in the hardcore mode which would be close to a no perk experience.

It seems like I'm going to love Hardcore mode once it makes it's way into the game! Thanks for the informative response, @ROCKFISH_Andi.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 36Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog
    Love these ideas. I always like to look back at progression.
    Also, maybe at the end of each run you can cash in your leftover resources for more credits or even be able to use them to create new parts and weapons for the next run.
  • thedarkbobothedarkbobo Posts: 3Member
    I like these ideas, I was opting for unlocked perks(no maximum level, but cost increasing exponentially) soo you could make a use of your cash, unless you plan for some other purchase options during the game (mercenaries?).
  • invenioinvenio Posts: 108Member

Also, maybe at the end of each run you can cash in your leftover resources for more credits or even be able to use them to create new parts and weapons for the next run.

I think cashing your loot in at the end of the run (or even during in a more liberal way) would be a great addition. I feel like after sector 3 I am collecting resources for now good reason whatsoever.
    edited April 2017
    invenio said:

I feel like after sector 3 I am collecting resources for now good reason whatsoever.

I feel like I've heard this quite a bit around on the forums.

Do you think the resource costs are too low, or you're just amazing at gathering resources early? Or, perhaps, there aren't desirable items/upgrades you wish to spend resources on?
  • doobiesnaxdoobiesnax Posts: 21Member
    invenio said:

I think cashing your loot in at the end of the run (or even during in a more liberal way) would be a great addition. I feel like after sector 3 I am collecting resources for now good reason whatsoever.
    I'm not sure we need more credits at the end.....it's what keeps this game going, striving for that extra cash......and unless I've read this wrong (just woke up, not even had a coffee and ciggy yet lol) you can sell items when upgraded right (not upgraded that perk yet)

How about being able to sell back some perks with a penalty.....?

And yep, the more options the better, especially for the more hard core (and better) players, of which I am most definitely not, to keep things interesting for those that feel they've exhausted the game are surely a great idea?
  • PacketlossPacketloss Posts: 22Member
    invenio said:

I feel like after sector 3 I am collecting resources for no good reason whatsoever.

What Difficulty do you play on? On harder difficulty, resources become more scarce.
    Do you have all Blueprints unlocked? The Mk3 mods can get very expensive, and Im usually starved for crystals well into the mid/late game.
    Do you have all your trade perks? Traders will offer to buy your extra resources, sometimes for $2-3k

Though I do usually end a run with excess plasma and ore
    @Giraffasaur
    I think I'm really good at collecting resources as I use the perk that displays all items in the sector. So I pretty much pick up every resource on every level. This is important to me so I can do upgrades fairly early on in the game.

I just have all this loot by the end of the game, like literally 200-300 quantities of many components. It just feels like the trading system in the game is not truly a trading system due to only having the ability to sell maybe one type of resource at the trading posts,... and usually only a small quantity at that. It would be really good if you could sell any resource at any time (even if it is at a significant discount). In turn, I would love to sell the loot and buy more access keys (which are extremely limited).

@Packetloss
    I play on medium. I don't have all the blueprints unlocked but most of them. I pretty much do all the MK3 mods on my Beam Laser M3, Shield MK3 around the start of sector 4. By the end of the game I have also made all MK3 components. I've unlocked every ship perk.
    Just got the ancient weapon. Adds a really interesting dynamic to game play. I coupled it with the perk that gives you 50% health at the beginning of each level no matter what. Was able to beat the game on hard. Also ended up with a massive amount of loot... I had over 850 of scrap at the end. Wish we could sell that for money!
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, I think the Ancient Weapon is far too powerful in v0.7, even with losing the flexibility of Secondaries. The devs are looking to balance this a bit more, I think.

But to the main point, I think it would be fantastic if every single Trader in the game (not necessarily Service Stations) would buy ANY resource from you, but the prices could vary. So, you may encounter one where you could sell 10 Dark Matter for 2k Credits, but the next one you run into will only give you 1k for it. You would not be able to buy any resource, however. Instead, the only resources available would be what they are actively selling from their list (along with weapons / secondaries / devices / consumables / nanobots / access keys), which should really be the highlight of these vessels).

I think it's also important that, if this always-sellable ability were implemented, that the resources would not yield a large amount of Credits in return. At most, a single resource should only exceed a value of 100 Credits, where some of the greater ones (Dark Energy, Dark Matter) would cost no more than 250 Credits.

At most, the bonus Credit total for having collected as many resources as possible during a run shouldn't catapult a player to an extreme. For instance, it shouldn't be possible to gain 60k Credits worth of resources. Something like an additional 10k-20k (after a run of collecting 120k) would be far more appropriate, as any more than that would feel awfully excessive and devalue Credits themselves.