Reset after update with GoG

guiniolguiniol Posts: 10Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
Hello all!

Not sure if this is the right section, but here goes.

Every time there is an update I lose all my progression. I thought it was due to the update changing stuff and invalidating the save or something like this. However, it seems that is not the case. Can anyone confirm that the game is not supposed to reset going from v0.4 to v0.7?
If that's indeed the case, is there anything I can do to avoid this?

I'm running Windows 10, and I install using GoG.
After each update, it's as if the game was installed anew. The settings are not sets, and I don't have a saved game.

Cheers,

--
guiniol

Comments

• ForavenForaven Posts: 121Member
    Seem like it's a GOG issue, my game is on Steam and never had any reset i did not initiate myself.
  • GoldAsteroidGoldAsteroid Posts: 68Member
    Yes, same thing here. Well, no matter - your skills arent reset! :)
  • guiniolguiniol Posts: 10Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
    Good to know.

I don't have any skills to reset! I didn't put many hours because the game isn't finished yet, I never even unlocked the two additional ships. At least, I didn't until the last upgrades were I started with two hour long runs. Now, I don't want my progress to reset anymore ^^
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited April 2017
    Thank you for this report.

I definitely understand the frustration of losing your data; incomplete versions of games can sometimes lose progress through multiple updates, tweaks and balance changes. The team is doing their best to avoid this from happening.

Though, because the whole experience is affected by the changes, starting from scratch might be the best way to see what a new update does to the game. :smiley:
    I'm fine with resets as long as the game doesn't hit v1.0, but wouldn't want them after. This is why I didn't think much about the wipe until I read the discussion about doing a reset for 1.0 where I realized that I shouldn't have seen resets. So I figured I'd report the issue.

TBH, I'll be sad to have to re-unlock the ships, because it might take me a while ^^
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    The developers are looking towards retaining save-game information at release as opposed to wiping. Though, I'll be manually wiping my save at launch. Perhaps I'm a bit of a purist, but I believe the full experience is meant to be seen from scratch.

Additionally, with enough experience, it is possible to pick up enough Credits on the first run to unlock both ships and a handful of Perks. It's not very common but it's doable, just takes some practice!
    I actually don't have much experience because I don't want to go too far into the game before v1.0. I'm kinda like you. Except I probably have less time and skills, so it takes longer to unlock stuff.

My runs are usually about 10 to 20 minutes, but after 0.7, my first run was over an hour and I was able to unlock one ship, and trying that ship, my first run was also above one hour and I unlock the second ship. THAT run was much shorter ^^
  • GoldAsteroidGoldAsteroid Posts: 68Member
    By the way - i found that slow gunship to be quite tanky. And with combat drone and turret I find it 5times easier to kill ancient. So if anyone wants ancient glyphs - use gunship! Also gunship is idea to farm credits - you have cluster mines! And frontal shield.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,086Moderator
    @guiniol Sorry to hear about the update problem. How do you install the update? Are you using GOG Galaxy? We'll be investigating here
  • LeizarKradLeizarKrad Posts: 3Member
    I haven't experienced this kind of complete savegame reset after an update.
    I also got the game on GoG (since 2016-11-14, start it through GoG Galaxy).
    @ROCKFISH_Andi I installed the game through GOG Galaxy and update it through that too.
    I had that happen after each update. But since I seem to be the only one, it gets me wondering. I did have issues with windows update, and have had to rollback a few times. I also play this game pretty infrequently because I don't want to spoil myself too much before it's ready.
    I'm not sure how the rollbacks work and it does say that they do not touch user files, but maybe that's what caused it? I'm sure I had a problem between 0.4 and 0.7, but I'm not sure before that.
    So, no wipes after the update to v1!
    I did, however, allow the game to wipe itself since it told me the story would be better ^^