How to make Runs Feel more Unique

DeathpactDeathpact Member Posts: 29
Right now, when i start a Run with a ship and a Loadout, the game feels quite the same as the previous run.
When I do the same thing when I play FTL it doesn't.

I think one of the main reason is the abundance of loot and the possibility of crafting. In FTL there are many different weapons and they don't often make good combos. Also looting them is pretty rare and going to a shop has a cost and may not always carry stuff that will enhance your ship. Finally there is a great variety of ships that make for a very wide variety of challenge. You need to adapt to what you start with and to what you get.

Wile each ship in Everspace brings a different experience, the existence of blueprints and the high amount of Loot crates makes it pretty easy to have access to your favourite weapons. You don't really need to adapt to what you find (only in the beginning) and then you can craft your ship exactly how you want it. I think it is a missed opportunity for variety in the runs of also for the gratification of finding a rare loot or the Gun that fits your need.

Some people don't like the comparison between Everspace and FTL i think they share many mechanics. Almost everything in the fighting gameplay / flying look of the game feels awsome. I think on the otherhand some mechanics of the games have impacts on the overall experience and should be taken very seriously ( i am sure they are) and i believe the devs should not hesitate to pick many pages from FTL book. It is by far the game i have played the most in my steam account (150 hrs) and i can see myself playing more.

Keep up the great work !

Comments

• ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121
    Yeah, the major flaw this game has right now is after a few runs we have perks, blueprints and enhancements that allow us to play how we see fit. In FTL we may have favored build and tactics but not all runs allow us to do them. The randomness is very easy to manage in Everspace once we can built everything we need for every engagements. At some point we can skip unwanted fights and have so much resources we can skip whole sectors to end the run sooner.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2017
    There are sound comparisons between FTL and Everspace, for sure! I've plugged into well over 500 hours of FTL, and I'm one of the administrators on the FTL wikia on top of that. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan.

Though I think there aren't a lot of comparisons to Everspace outside of a few things. The progression from Sector to Sector is very apparent, especially with the enemy difficulty increasing with every new location discovered. I'm not so sure similar comparisons should be made regarding the inventory systems though, as the combat management of FTL (ordering crewmembers around and adjusting energy to systems) and Everspace (6DoF dogfight using hull/shield-specific damaging weapons managing an energy pool) are fairly different.

That said, I'm definitely an advocate for roguelike replayability. I've fallen in love with the new loadouts the player may choose from at the start of a run, and the Enhancements are phenomenal regarding the unique challenges it pits the player against while granting a bonus. Still, I think you're right that the loadouts could use a little more diversity or distinction to make them stand out.

Most of my FTL runs become the same by the mid-game, which is similar to Everspace in that regard. And both FTL and Everspace starts are different based on which ship/loadout combination I choose, as well. It all meshes together eventually, for me at least.

The trick about Everspace's loot is that the player benefits from exploration by being rewarded with more crafting/device options. Perhaps Primary Weapon drop rates should be scaled back a little bit, making them more rare than they currently appear in-game?

The trick about Everspace's loot is that the player benefits from exploration by being rewarded with more crafting/device options. Perhaps Primary Weapon drop rates should be scaled back a little bit, making them more rare than they currently appear in-game?

I think the way things are weapons and devices drop too often (especially with perks), what we are starting with rarely matter as we have plenty of opportunities to swap them. The way the devs could spice it up would be to tie devices, weapons and blueprints to the enemies that are actually using them (ie no more fully upgraded guns from low level enemies). That would make it more difficult to gear up early in the run. Locked rooms and boxes would be a much bigger deal if they offered gears we are unlikely to get from random fights or normal containers.

edited April 2017
    Hmmmm, these are interesting ideas.

I like the idea of scaling back drop rates to weapons considerably in random loot containers and even opposing ships. Furthermore, what if weapons could only be purchased from Traders/Service stations or found within derelict Stations? There would be a very, very slim chance to see them drop from any other source, making what you get and use far more valuable.

Hmmmm, these are interesting ideas.

I like the idea of scaling back drop rates to weapons considerably in random loot containers and even opposing ships. Furthermore, what if weapons could only be purchased from Traders/Service stations or found within derelict Stations? There would be a very, very slim chance to see them drop from any other source, making what you get and use far more valuable.

The problem with how the RNG works is that no matter how slim a chance can be, there are time where you get lucky as -BEEP-. There has been runs where i was showered with blueprints, weapons and devices quite early in a run despite the very low chance it should have happened. I think what we find should make some sense in regard of what we find where. The best stuff shouldn't be randomly found but something we have to take risks or spend credits/keys to get.

Foraven said:

The problem with how the RNG works is that no matter how slim a chance can be, there are time where you get lucky as -BEEP-.

Honestly, that doesn't sound like a problem. It works wonderfully with FTL, too!

But yes, I see your overall point in that, because of the high number of unlockables, the game can shower you with goodies from even the smallest tasks.

I concur that better items deserve a risk to acquire (which is why the Enhancement unlock works wonderfully within the confines of those Colonial Stations), though I think there should still be SOME chance (albeit very minor) to gain great things from simple locations.
  • Mr. MagniloquentMr. Magniloquent Member Posts: 20
    The suggestion that weapons can only be acquired at traders/stations is interesting. It certainly gives an incentive to develop the Trader/Diplomacy perks sooner rather than later. The rate of drops feels alright to me, even though I do feel it has increased with v0.4. What was the biggest influence on the effectiveness of my runs, was fully upgrading the starting resource bonus perk. Previously I was always strangled by the lack of a rare resource (Dark Matter/Energy). That perk, fully upgraded, gave me the kick I needed to very quickly make at least one primary weapon or device that I felt essential. This isn't a bad thing, but it was a measurable increase in power.